U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 AM

160 posts, read 380,929 times
My guess is that some central Pennsylvanians will not vote for Obama because they dread the 'C word'. You know, CHANGE. Many here look at Amish culture as an ideal of some kind, and that totally creeps me out

I don't think it's a racial issue to any great extent since the choice is between Democratic candidates.

A lot of central PA is in-yer-face Republican. I recall an auctioneer who repeatedly held up souvenir photos of JFK at estate sales, bellowing 'Here's something for a little target practice, fellas!' If Kennedy had died in his sleep in old age it would have been just tasteless, but under the circumstances...

Possibly Pennsylvania will go for Hillary in the primary as a result of the infamous brain drain -- young educated folks who might be inclined to vote for Obama never returning to PA after college in another state. As for Penn Staties, Man Coulter endorsed Hillary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM

24,248 posts, read 28,542,051 times
Isn't it funny how Rendell's "observation" came out a short time after he threw his support for Clinton.

If Rendell is voting for Clinton, then I'm voting for Obama!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,716,999 times
I've gone back and forth between Obama and Clinton the last eight months. I was leaning towards wanting Clinton but now think Obama is the better choice. I actually like McCain, which surprised me, and was even thinking of the possibility of voting for him up until three months ago although I don't really want another republican in office. I liked Ron Paul but he didn't really have a chance. I wish we could have eight more years of Bill Clinton to be honest. He had his faults but I liked him and lived very comfortable while he was in office.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM

2,938 posts, read 778,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I lived in State College for 3 years and experienced some pretty backwards people from parts of rural PA, WV. There was your occasional exceptionally nice, open-minded, good-natured Pennsylvanian though, and my wife is from Pittsburgh. She is very liberal and favors Obama. Many fine people in this state.

I once heard that politically, PA is "Pittsburgh on one side, Philadelphia on the other side, and Mississippi in the middle." I think it was former president Clinton's campaign manager Cravelle who coined this phrase. Anyway, I haven't lived in the state since '87, and was wondering if the politics of the Mississippi portion of the state is the reason that 1) Lynn Swann was not elected Governor and 2) Why Hillary appears to be favored over Obama. Has PA gone more towards the conservative side?

Thanks for your insights.
And for being so open-minded, why do liberals immediately equate being conservative with being an uneducated toothless hillbilly?

As for me, I'm registered independent, but I'm definitely a social conservative, and more likely moderate on most other issues. I'm also college-educated, have all my teeth, and am not married to any blood relatives. Can you believe it?

Personally, the only candidate in this election that I could vote for in good conscience is Ron Paul. I'm against the Iraq war, and he's the only candidate who voted against the war from the beginning. Also, he's the only true pro-life candidate.

The fact that Hillary is considered conservative when compared to Obama is a signal to me to never vote for Obama...not even for dog catcher. Obama has consistently voted against any protection for unborn human beings, and he has even championed the cause of partial birth abortion. That is despicable, in my opinion.

Also, the idea that PA is a liberal blue state is false. It may be a majority democratic, but outside of Philadelphia, PA democrats are mainly blue-collar conservative union democrats, not the NARAL/NOW/far left liberal democrats.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 AM

11,494 posts, read 10,039,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
And for being so open-minded, why do liberals immediately equate being conservative with being an uneducated toothless hillbilly?

As for me, I'm registered independent, but I'm definitely a social conservative, and more likely moderate on most other issues. I'm also college-educated, have all my teeth, and am not married to any blood relatives. Can you believe it?

Personally, the only candidate in this election that I could vote for in good conscience is Ron Paul. I'm against the Iraq war, and he's the only candidate who voted against the war from the beginning. Also, he's the only true pro-life candidate.

The fact that Hillary is considered conservative when compared to Obama is a signal to me to never vote for Obama...not even for dog catcher. Obama has consistently voted against any protection for unborn human beings, and he has even championed the cause of partial birth abortion. That is despicable, in my opinion.

Also, the idea that PA is a liberal blue state is false. It may be a majority democratic, but outside of Philadelphia, PA democrats are mainly blue-collar conservative union democrats, not the NARAL/NOW/far left liberal democrats.
Thank you for that perspective. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most uneducated toothless hillbillies conservative? I don't know any and I'm guessing they are. I certainly didn't imply or explicitly state that conservatives are uneducated toothless hillbllies.

I don't think there ever was a candidate who didn't have a position that at least one person opposed. This is true here even for your Ron Paul.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,949,378 times
Quote:

But, don't forget the Republicans outside Philadelphia are liberal on social issues.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM

75 posts, read 272,904 times
Even besides being from the "Susquehanna T" region that votes solidly Republican, I found the original comment to be a bit off. There's no doubt there are racists in PA, but they're in NJ, AL, MS, etc too unfortunately. I suspect Hillary is more popular among PA's Democrats because she has been appealing to older people and females. Pennsylvania has the second largest senior population in the nation after FL (and many of those are Pennsylvanian's) and I believe women have a slight advantage in registered voters in PA.

The other issue to keep in mind is that rural Pennsylvanians are more often than not, fiscal conservatives than they are the type one finds down South. They prefer low taxes, small government..."leave us alone" policies. It reflects generations of self-reliance and PA's state government generally neglecting the rural regions. This is partially why you see PA's rural Republicans clashing with those from suburban Phila, or more noticeably, the rural Democrats tend to be more conservative than the Republicans from SE PA.

The more urbanized areas are able to outvote the rural vote in PA, but Phila & Pitt's populations frequently don't turn out as heavily as what occurs in rural PA & among seniors. This is why up until recently, both houses of the legislature were Rep-controlled, there were 2 Rep governors before Rendell, both US Sens were Rep.

Pennsylvania is a great example of the divisions in the Rep party between social conservatives and the more fiscal/business oriented ones. IMO, it makes a great case for why we need true democracy in the US with a multi-party system

Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,806,078 times
Quote:
Completely incorrect. Obama voted against authorizing the Iraq War from the beginning.

Quote:
So, that's the only distinction that can be made between Democrats -- they're either ultra-liberal baby-haters or uber-conservative blue-collar Dems? Sorry, but it's not that simplistic. There's also a big contingent of MODERATE Democrats.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 PM

25,852 posts, read 44,096,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
A lot of central PA is in-yer-face Republican. I recall an auctioneer who repeatedly held up souvenir photos of JFK at estate sales, bellowing 'Here's something for a little target practice, fellas!' If Kennedy had died in his sleep in old age it would have been just tasteless, but under the circumstances...
...and yet the Republicans hail themselves as "God's party." Hypocrites!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM

25,852 posts, read 44,096,869 times
Perhaps if conservatives and Republicans would stop hiding behind the Bible as a method to terrorize homosexuals, we wouldn't be so apt to label them as "rednecks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania