Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 AM

20 posts, read 27,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John123_456_789 View Post
Country living very inexpensively and only 4 hours to NYC and 90 min to DC & BALT. The name of the town is Chambersburg, PA. (It would be worth your studying the area...such as real estate costs, small cultural scene, farmer's markets, amish foods and furniture, and while only 90 mins. from DC where there is a wonderful world of culture. Chambersburg proper has approx 20k people with the surrounding areas it's about 150k. It's beautiful here, very very quiet yet close to happenings.
Thank you for your response. I've come across favorable comments w/r/t Chambersburg in a few other posts and it does sound like it warrants closer investigation. If anyone on C-D would like to volunteer their thoughts about Chambersburg -- whether they be 'pro' or 'con' -- I'd love to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 11:46 AM

Default any thoughts along the lines of ... "like Doylestown, but more affordable" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Doylestown is an excellent choice, but much higher COL - houses and taxes in Bucks county- than most places further in-state.
Yes, based on a preliminary review of a couple of real estate listing sites, it appears that Doylestown may be a bit too much [$, that is.]. Looking to downsize (house size, property taxes, etc.) in retirement.

any thoughts along the lines of ... "like Doylestown, but more affordable" ?

Old 06-10-2016, 02:19 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by were-to-retire-wolf View Post
Thank you for your response. I've come across favorable comments w/r/t Chambersburg in a few other posts and it does sound like it warrants closer investigation. If anyone on C-D would like to volunteer their thoughts about Chambersburg -- whether they be 'pro' or 'con' -- I'd love to hear them!
Chambersburg is know to have a decent amount of illegals. I know the school system had an issue with integrating the new students.

From 2015:
On June 18, the Lucha Pro Licencias coalition will hold statewide vigils supporting unmarked driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants in Philadelphia, Reading, Pittsburgh, York, Harrisburg and Chambersburg.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:05 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Carlisle would have an edge in homegrown cultural offerings (more prestigious college, plus graduate law and war schools) and more used to interchange with the outside world, vs. Chambersburg, plus Carlisle is closer to Phila/NYC by the distance between. Some town and country areas in Carlisle are leafy pretty. It's too bad the US 11 connection between I-81 and the Turnpike is so ugly and gives many their lasting impression of the area, locals avoid that "Miracle Mile" in Middlesex Twp. Chambersburg area still has more production agriculture with non-relocatee-friendly noise and smell, vs. the farmettes/spec land you mostly have around Carlisle anymore.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Chambersburg is know to have a decent amount of illegals. I know the school system had an issue with integrating the new students.

From 2015:
On June 18, the Lucha Pro Licencias coalition will hold statewide vigils supporting unmarked driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants in Philadelphia, Reading, Pittsburgh, York, Harrisburg and Chambersburg.
BCB: Thanks for the info! I see from that your location mentions Pittsburgh. I've seen Pitt mentioned positively more than a few times in various retirement-related articles online. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about Pitt as a retirement destination. --- w-t-r-w

Old 06-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Carlisle would have an edge in homegrown cultural offerings (more prestigious college, plus graduate law and war schools) and more used to interchange with the outside world, vs. Chambersburg, plus Carlisle is closer to Phila/NYC by the distance between. Some town and country areas in Carlisle are leafy pretty. It's too bad the US 11 connection between I-81 and the Turnpike is so ugly and gives many their lasting impression of the area, locals avoid that "Miracle Mile" in Middlesex Twp. Chambersburg area still has more production agriculture with non-relocatee-friendly noise and smell, vs. the farmettes/spec land you mostly have around Carlisle anymore.
ki0eh: Thanks for the reply! Took a quick look at some online real estate listings in Carlisle. Based on that admittedly scant amount of data, Carlisle seems like a decent enough place. Property taxes look to be a bit on the high side, though. --- w-t-r-w

Old 06-10-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
BCB: Thanks for the info! I see from that your location mentions Pittsburgh. I've seen Pitt mentioned positively more than a few times in various retirement-related articles online. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about Pitt as a retirement destination. --- w-t-r-w
You don't want to ask me, I'm looking at WNY as a possible relocation destination. I don't know if you would even consider other parts of NY. It is a big state.

The suburbs of Harrisburg aren't a bad option if you want to be close to NYC and live in PA. You will have better weather (than Pittsburgh which compares to Seattle), cheaper living, close to good hospitals, close to major cities, close to the mountains (or live in the mountains) and beach, and lots to do.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
ki0eh: Thanks for the reply! Took a quick look at some online real estate listings in Carlisle. Based on that admittedly scant amount of data, Carlisle seems like a decent enough place. Property taxes look to be a bit on the high side, though. --- w-t-r-w
You are going to notice that in PA - there isn't much of a difference in property taxes any longer compared to NY. You aren't going to find great savings crossing the border. It's only a little bit cheaper to live in PA. Also, be careful with property taxes. Every county has a different set up with how the property is assessed and when. Some counties in PA haven't be reassessed in 30 years.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I haven't read ALL the posts year but from what I've read so far...
1) you haven't said you DO NOT want West Chester,….. 2) you've only said you're not sure you'll be able to afford it.

So……..what if you ARE able to afford that area? I mean we are talking more than 10 years out. You don't know WAHT you'll be able to afford that far out.

If you have family in West Chester -- and you can afford the WC area -- would that be your preference?
It seems to fit your criteria…..and there are plenty of options in that area.

Also, what ages will you be at retirement……55 or 70?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Quote:
Pros:

-Chambersburg is located along I-81, which allows quick access to large cities in both Pennsylvania and Maryland.

-The town has beautiful rural scenery outside of the sprawling areas.

-The retail and dining scene in Chambersburg is quickly improving, with new stores and restaurants such as BJ's Wholesale Club, TJMaxx, Dick's Sporting Goods, Harbor Freight Tools (in addition to Target, Kohl's, Staples, Hobby Lobby, etc.). New restaurants built/planned include Buffalo Wild Wings, Five Guys, Cafe del Sol, etc. (in addition to others such as Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, among others).

-Compared to many Pennsylvania communities near larger metropolitan areas, you get a lot of "bang for your buck" with homes in Chambersburg area.

-Local municipalities outside of the Borough of Chambersburg are generally regarded as having low taxes (Hamilton Township, Greene Township, Guilford Township).

-Outdoor recreation is plentiful, such as Penn National Golf Course (they have a large retirement community as well), Cowan's Gap State Park, Michaux State Forest, etc.

Cons:

-Because of the growth in population over recent years, traffic gets congested at peak hours on many major roads through the Chambersburg area.

-Downtown has a few places to avoid at night (especially around the Southgate area).

-Even though the retail and restaurant scene in Chambersburg is improving, many Chambersburg residents still view Hagerstown, MD as a larger sister-city and opt to shop and dine there because of the greater selection.

-The area surrounding Chambersburg is agricultural, so when the farmers are spreading manure, you can smell it all throughout the area.

If you have any more question, don't hesitate to ask! Here is a link to the Penn National Retirement Community that I mentioned earlier: Retirement Community | Active Retirement Communities in PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania