U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 7,122,081 times
Reputation: 3064

Advertisements

Just curious what anyone knows or thinks of Latrobe and Pottstown. I noted on the internet search both are pretty small towns. Possibly thinking of relocating to PA., but would like to be where there are mountains and water; and good job prospects. Any input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM
 
Location: DC Suburbs of Maryland (by way of PA)
2,904 posts, read 4,153,688 times
Reputation: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Just curious what anyone knows or thinks of Latrobe and Pottstown. I noted on the internet search both are pretty small towns. Possibly thinking of relocating to PA., but would like to be where there are mountains and water; and good job prospects. Any input appreciated.
I believe Latrobe is out near Pittsburgh, so I'm not that familiar with it, but Pottstown isn't exactly what I'd call "small." It used to be big industrial/textile town that declined in the past half-century and is now trying to rebound economically. Its population stands at around 21,000 currently, which gives it a decent size. Jobs in Pottstown are concentrated mostly around the healthcare, education, and service industries, but you didn't note what field you're in. As for mountains and water, there are plenty of outdoorsy areas within a couple hours drive -- the Poconos, French Creek, and plenty of areas along the Schuylkill River come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2008, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 7,122,081 times
Reputation: 3064
Default Pottstown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I believe Latrobe is out near Pittsburgh, so I'm not that familiar with it, but Pottstown isn't exactly what I'd call "small." It used to be big industrial/textile town that declined in the past half-century and is now trying to rebound economically. Its population stands at around 21,000 currently, which gives it a decent size. Jobs in Pottstown are concentrated mostly around the healthcare, education, and service industries, but you didn't note what field you're in. As for mountains and water, there are plenty of outdoorsy areas within a couple hours drive -- the Poconos, French Creek, and plenty of areas along the Schuylkill River come to mind.

Thanks much for your reply. My husband is a Journeyman Electrician and I am an office manager (I have alot of experience working for social service agencies and the medical field).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2008, 09:04 PM
 
Location: DC Suburbs of Maryland (by way of PA)
2,904 posts, read 4,153,688 times
Reputation: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Thanks much for your reply. My husband is a Journeyman Electrician and I am an office manager (I have alot of experience working for social service agencies and the medical field).
Happy to help.

Both of those fields seem prominent enough so that you wouldn't have too much trouble finding a potential position. There's really a great mixture of fields in the entire Philadelphia region. Here's some listings for Pottstown and adjacent areas:

Managerial

Office Manager Management Jobs in Pottstown, PA on CareerBuilder.com

Journeyman Electrician

Journeyman Jobs in Pottstown, PA on CareerBuilder.com

Good luck, and feel free to ask any more specific questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 AM
 
519 posts, read 1,689,081 times
Reputation: 281
latrobe is a small town about 45 minutes from pittsburgh. Its about 10 minutes from greensburg, which would have many more jobs. Latrobe is very nice in the mountains, lots of nice areas around latrobe to live. Worth a visit. Just to let you know, it has a rich italian heritage, its not diverse at all, probably 98% white. It has a Wal-mart, kmart, lowes on a strip and little shops downtown. Greensburg has a nice mall and many more stores, and its right down route 30 about 10 minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC
2,799 posts, read 5,381,278 times
Reputation: 1581
Setting-wise, Latrobe would meet your needs better.

Job-wise, Pottstown would meet your needs better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top