Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 8,111 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband may get a job in Altoona and we are looking to live within 10 miles of town. What nearby areas are good choices? We are looking for a fun downtown with events, farmers markets, good stores, etc. One story homes under 300k. Walkable areas, parks with trails, sites of historic interest. No interest in schools or anything kid related.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
The nicest walkable town in that area with a community feel to it would be Hollidaysburg. Altoona lies in a mountainous area, so I wouldn't recommend commuting a great distance due to how trying the roads can be in the winter. Two winters ago I drove from Pittsburgh to visit a friend in State College one night in a snow storm. I could barely see anything in front of me and was thrilled to finally catch up to a PennDOT plow/salt truck and followed it for miles along U.S. Route 22. Hollidaysburg is just south of Altoona and is the county seat. It has a cute Downtown, and your budget is very generous. Since the town is older it may be tough to find a modern ranch-styled home there, though.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccauley06 View Post
Hello,
My husband may get a job in Altoona and we are looking to live within 10 miles of town. What nearby areas are good choices? We are looking for a fun downtown with events, farmers markets, good stores, etc. One story homes under 300k. Walkable areas, parks with trails, sites of historic interest. No interest in schools or anything kid related.
Hollidaysburg is the only real choice given your criteria. I don't know if its economy has rebounded from the closure of the huge Norfolk Southern Car Shop there in 2001. To the west up the eastern slope of the allegheny range, there are only very depressed former coal mining hamlets like Cresson, Tunnelhill, Gallitzin, Portage and Ebensburg.

Huntingdon, PA (the home of Juniata College) is very nice but is 35 miles away. And State College, which has everything that you want and a whole lot more, is 42 miles away although the southwestern suburbs are closer by about 10 miles.

Depressing to think of.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Depressing to think of.
Why? I personally find Hollidaysburg to be quite a nice town.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 PM

24,394 posts, read 23,048,028 times
Phillipsburg Pa was a town I drove through a few times between getting off I 80 on the way down to State College. It had an historic downtown from what I remember and had some shopping. It seemed like the only place around that was semi sizable and isn't that far from Altoona, right?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:13 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Phillipsburg Pa was a town I drove through a few times between getting off I 80 on the way down to State College. It had an historic downtown from what I remember and had some shopping. It seemed like the only place around that was semi sizable and isn't that far from Altoona, right?
Phillipsburg is pretty far away from Altoona though.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:39 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Phillipsburg is pretty far away from Altoona though.
Yes. About a forty-five minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania