Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:18 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
If this debate is based on metro area populations, it is very hard to compare the smaller to medium size cities of PA because some of them are grouped together and are parts of larger metros while others are isolated and stand by themselves. For instance, Allentown is the third largest city in PA and the metro area seems very large in population numbers, but further analysis reveals that the metro boundaries for the Lehigh Valley make it hard to compare to a place like Erie. The Lehigh Valley includes Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton as well as parts of New Jersey that are also included in the NYC metro. In fact, Pike county PA is in the NYC MSA already and I have heard that Monroe county may be added soon also, which would mean that it would be in both the Lehigh Valley and NYC MSAs. On the contrary, Erie is on its own in northwestern PA and the Erie MSA is simply Erie and the rest of Erie county, which is mostly rural and sparsely populated. Eastern PA is much more connected by metro area than western PA and cities like Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, Harrisburg, and York are all relatively interconnected and close to other larger metro areas. I have discussed this before and it always surprises me when people try to compare and contrast cities based on population of metro areas because of how each metro area can be defined in an arbitrary manner.
The Census Bureau uses an internally consistent definition for a metropolitan statistical area and for a consolidated statistical area consisting of more than one metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area.

As I noted before, except in New England, where they're irrelevant, and Alaska, where they don't exist, the county is the basic building block of a metropolitan area, and no county can be in more than one metropolitan or consolidated statistical area. If A-B-E is part of the New York CSA, it would be understandable given the commuting patterns, but not even the New Jersey county would be part of the New York MSA unless the entire Lehigh Valley is part of it, in which case it would be called the Lehigh Valley Metropolitan Division in Census Bureau-speak. I do believe the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton MSA is part of the New York CSA.

Whether or not a county is placed within a metropolitan area, or a metropolitan area within a consolidated area, depends on the commuting patterns. If more than a certain percentage of a county's residents - the percentage isn't all that high, btw - commute to work within a county that's part of an existing metro, then it's attached to that metro unless it's an employment center for its own residents. In that latter case, it could be defined as its own metropolitan area if its population is large enough or if it receives a high level of inbound commuting from residents of surrounding counties not already part of another metro. In that latter case, some of those surrounding counties might be combined with it to form a metropolitan area.

Some examples of the fine distinctions:
  • Mercer County, NJ, home to the state capital of Trenton, is its own metropolitan area, as the bulk of its residents work within its borders and its population is large enough. For most of the years that the Feds have used the current criteria for drawing metro and consolidated area boundaries, it's been part of the Philadelphia CSA. Since the 1990 Census, however, it's been part of the New York CSA. The commuting patterns to adjacent counties are almost evenly split between the two adjacent CSAs, but they'd shifted slightly in the 1980s to favor New York. In terms of media coverage, it remains in the Philadelphia orbit, however.
  • Leavenworth County, Kan., was up until the 1990 census NOT part of the Kansas City, Mo.-Kan., metropolitan area despite bordering two of its five core counties. That's because most county residents worked at one of the county's two big employers: the Army base at Fort Leavenworth and Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary. Sometime in the 1980s, however, the commuter flows between Leavenworth County and the metro area counties increased to the point where the county was added to the Kansas City MSA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's about the total for Lackawanna and Luzerne counties. There is going to be a lot of households in semi rural areas. I live in Luzerne county, I can shoot a gun off my back porch and the only thing the neighbor is going to ask is to invite him over the next time.
As I said above, there is a further subunit the Census Bureau uses called the "urbanized area." This is that portion of a metropolitan area where the land is built up densely enough to qualify as urban (including suburban densities). Your home is most likely outside the urbanized area of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA even though it's within its boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:00 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Census Bureau uses an internally consistent definition for a metropolitan statistical area and for a consolidated statistical area consisting of more than one metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area.
As I noted before, except in New England, where they're irrelevant, and Alaska, where they don't exist, the county is the basic building block of a metropolitan area, and no county can be in more than one metropolitan or consolidated statistical area. If A-B-E is part of the New York CSA, it would be understandable given the commuting patterns, but not even the New Jersey county would be part of the New York MSA unless the entire Lehigh Valley is part of it, in which case it would be called the Lehigh Valley Metropolitan Division in Census Bureau-speak. I do believe the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton MSA is part of the New York CSA.
So Pike county PA is part of the Lehigh Valley CSA and the New York MSA? Are the commuting patterns measured from the Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP)? If so I believe this survey has had recent sample size issues due to budget cutbacks and sampling less than 20,000 people to accurately represent the entire U.S. seems problematic to me.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Subunit. I give up.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
As I said above, there is a further subunit the Census Bureau uses called the "urbanized area." This is that portion of a metropolitan area where the land is built up densely enough to qualify as urban (including suburban densities). Your home is most likely outside the urbanized area of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA even though it's within its boundaries.
You cited a number of 500K+, what I'm saying is the total population of Luzerne and Lackawanna counties is 500K+. That contiguous area is probably closer to 400K.

I don't know how they are defining it but for the 400K you'd be able to throw a rock and hit the next house/building. That 400K is ringed by what I would call semi rural areas with lots 2+ acres, I can see my neighbors house but the woods go for miles behind my house.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:13 AM

Quote:
So Pike county PA is part of the Lehigh Valley CSA and the New York MSA? Are the commuting patterns measured from the Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP)? If so I believe this survey has had recent sample size issues due to budget cutbacks and sampling less than 20,000 people to accurately represent the entire U.S. seems problematic to me.
Oops!

No.

Pike County is not part of the Lehigh Valley MSA, AFAIK; the counties that constitute it are Lehigh, Northampton and Carbon in PA and Warren in NJ.

Pike County IS in the New York MSA (Newark-Union Metropolitan Division).

No county can be part of two different MSAs or CSAs at once.

And the Lehigh Valley isn't the core of a CSA; if it's part of one of those at all, it's probably part of New York's. A CSA is made up of multiple MSAs that are interconnected by commuting patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You cited a number of 500K+, what I'm saying is the total population of Luzerne and Lackawanna counties is 500K+. That contiguous area is probably closer to 400K.

I don't know how they are defining it but for the 400K you'd be able to throw a rock and hit the next house/building. That 400K is ringed by what I would call semi rural areas with lots 2+ acres, I can see my neighbors house but the woods go for miles behind my house.
You're probably right that the urbanized area population of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA is somewhere in the 400k-450k range. Sheesh, you can still find land I'd call rural in all three of the Pennsylvania collar counties surrounding Philadelphia City/County (well, maybe not Delaware).

Last edited by MarketStEl; 07-08-2016 at 04:23 AM..

Old 07-08-2016, 04:35 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,932 times
Quote:
Oops!

No.

Pike County is not part of the Lehigh Valley MSA, AFAIK; the counties that constitute it are Lehigh, Northampton and Carbon in PA and Warren in NJ.

Pike County IS in the New York MSA (Newark-Union Metropolitan Division).

No county can be part of two different MSAs or CSAs at once.

And the Lehigh Valley isn't the core of a CSA; if it's part of one of those at all, it's probably part of New York's. A CSA is made up of multiple MSAs that are interconnected by commuting patterns.

You're probably right that the urbanized area population of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA is somewhere in the 400k-450k range. Sheesh, you can still find land I'd call rural in all three of the Pennsylvania collar counties surrounding Philadelphia City/County (well, maybe not Delaware).
What you are saying here is contradictory because you are saying that all the counties in the Lehigh Valley are part of the Lehigh Valley MSA and the NYC CSA.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
What you are saying here is contradictory because you are saying that all the counties in the Lehigh Valley are part of the Lehigh Valley MSA and the NYC CSA.
No, it's not. Think of these as a series of nested boxes:

A CSA is composed of two or more MSAs. (The "M" here can also stand for "micropolitan," the Census Bureau's newer category [created in 2003] that takes into account the fact that some cities with fewer than 50,000 residents also have suburbs and commutersheds.)

An MSA may have two or more Metropolitan Divisions.

Any one Metropolitan Division may lie in only one MSA, and no division can straddle two MSAs; at the same time, a county may lie in one Metropolitan Division or another but not two at the same time.

Similarly, the whole of an MSA is contained within one CSA - it too can't straddle two. So yes, if there's a commuting pattern from one county in the Lehigh Valley MSA to a county in one of the MSAs in the New York CSA to qualify it for inclusion, then the entire Lehigh Valley MSA would then lie within the New York CSA.

By the way, did you or someone else say that Monroe County, PA, may be added to the New York CSA? It's already part of it, and it's its own MSA - the East Stroudsburg, PA, MSA.

Interesting tidbit I found out in looking stuff up for this post: The Lancaster MSA (Lancaster County) is surrounded by counties that are in MSAs that are in turn component parts of CSAs (Philadelphia includes Reading, and Harrisburg-Carlisle, York-Lebanon and Gettysburg together form one), but it is itself part of no CSA. Must be the Amish and their penchant for reliance on one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania