Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:27 PM

23 posts, read 105,819 times

Advertisements

Hello. My fiance and I want to purchase a prefab shed that is about 14 x 24 ft and convert it into our full time home. We would get the plumbing and electricity done by a professional and be on the grid (city water, normal toilet etc). We want to purchase a small plot of land roughly an acre, but we're fine with less if the location is nice. It would be sitting on blocks as well. We want to make sure everything is done legally and would like to stay located in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know of any good areas in PA where we could do this or have any suggestions / advice? We 100% want to do this!

Here's a video link from YouTube of a couple who did the same thing if you want to get an idea! https://youtu.be/Y-uKj_QrJyc

I've also attached some photos of examples of the prefab sheds were interested in.
Attached Thumbnails
Shed conversion into tiny house-casita5.jpg   Shed conversion into tiny house-custom-prefab-storage-sheds.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:05 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
A shed, sitting up on blocks is going to get awfully cold. I see pipes freezing.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Of course we're going to insulate it very well! If we have to put it on a proper foundation instead of blocks then so be it. I just said blocks because the couple in the video I linked above have their house on blocks.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:32 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
If you go with blocks, I'd recommend heat tapes.
Also would recommend living near a grocery store because there's no place for extra canned goods or paper products.

Not sure where you'd put your winter clothes and blankets in summer-maybe a trunk at the foot of the bed?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:40 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Not related to building or location but have you considered where you're going to get away to?

You said fiance so you're at the stage in your relationship where you always want to be together. Over time, that's not always going to be the case. The house size you're considering is about the size of my living room. When you want some "alone time", where are you going to go? Imagine a nice snowy/miserable winter Saturday and you're both there and have a fight. Now what?

Old 09-14-2016, 04:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I've often fantasized about buying an overgrown city-owned vacant lot in my neighborhood for pennies on the dollar and building a tiny house upon it; however, municipal laws and ordinances in PA's cities and boroughs can often be very Draconian in nature. It might be difficult for you to pursue tiny house living in this state unless you look to move into a rural township where zoning regulations are more lax.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've often fantasized about buying an overgrown city-owned vacant lot in my neighborhood for pennies on the dollar and building a tiny house upon it; however, municipal laws and ordinances in PA's cities and boroughs can often be very Draconian in nature.
Those laws are to insure the value of the neighboring homes and maintain the characteristics of the neighborhood. I know your from Pittston, do you really think Cefalo or West Pittston wants someone putting up a shed next to his house to live in? The house value drops as does the tax revenue.

That's understandable by why they would enforce such laws where you can buy a lot for nothing is beyond me.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:57 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've often fantasized about buying an overgrown city-owned vacant lot in my neighborhood for pennies on the dollar and building a tiny house upon it; however, municipal laws and ordinances in PA's cities and boroughs can often be very Draconian in nature. It might be difficult for you to pursue tiny house living in this state unless you look to move into a rural township where zoning regulations are more lax.
Actually I think the Draconian laws were better. We are so busy making new laws and regulations it is a wonder that anybody can build. Down here in Tannersville we are forcing business to hook up to the new central sewage. Of course they all need an engineering report before they start the actual work and that can take the full 90 days they were given to hook up. The Township did give them and extension; but everything is so complicated anymore. The EPA regulations have almost doubled in just the last year. It is becoming almost impossible to subdivide with current township regulations. Government is not facilitating; they are complicating at a cost.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Not related to building or location but have you considered where you're going to get away to?

You said fiance so you're at the stage in your relationship where you always want to be together. Over time, that's not always going to be the case. The house size you're considering is about the size of my living room. When you want some "alone time", where are you going to go? Imagine a nice snowy/miserable winter Saturday and you're both there and have a fight. Now what?
We've been together for 8 years and have been living in a space that small for the past 5. I think we'll be okay

Old 09-15-2016, 12:08 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehouser View Post
Hello. My fiance and I want to purchase a prefab shed that is about 14 x 24 ft and convert it into our full time home. We would get the plumbing and electricity done by a professional and be on the grid (city water, normal toilet etc). We want to purchase a small plot of land roughly an acre, but we're fine with less if the location is nice. It would be sitting on blocks as well. We want to make sure everything is done legally and would like to stay located in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know of any good areas in PA where we could do this or have any suggestions / advice? We 100% want to do this!

Here's a video link from YouTube of a couple who did the same thing if you want to get an idea! https://youtu.be/Y-uKj_QrJyc

I've also attached some photos of examples of the prefab sheds were interested in.
I've thought of this as a guest house. Is it possible to connect two of them? What do you use for insulation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania