U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 4,720 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of posts about this, but everyone seems to have specific information that doesnt apply necessarily to everyone else. Here's us;

Husband taking a job in Philly.. has to live within 50 miles of Philly, but will technically work from home. Meaning, he will drive into Philadelphia every day, but not necessarily at rush hour. He has to visit the businesses he covers as the rep, so he could technically get up, do reports, then drive in. We are looking at Douglassville at the moment. Living in St Louis at the moment, we live in a town of 5k people, small town feel, and cheaper housing. Looking to spend under 200k for a house, we have 2 kids... would like decent schools, doesnt have to be A+ schools, (I cant afford housing there!) I work in a hospital, and would hope to find a job at a hospital within about 30 minutes of where we live. (no Philadelphia for me) ..

Any thoughts on Douglassville for a family of 4 .. a junior in high school and a 6th grader. We(the parents) like a small town feel, pretty countryside, maybe somewhere to go hiking.. somewhere were crime is low, things are laid back.

Thank you for anyone just reading this... and any advice is welcome!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-12-2016 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: removed spaces to make for easier reading on mobile devices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 AM

12,938 posts, read 30,043,799 times
I had heard of Douglasville but wasn't quite sure where it was. From what I see, it's not really a town but just a location. And from where it is, looks like a suburb of Pottstown. If you would like a small town, not in Philadelphia, I would suggest perhaps looking at Pennsburg/East Greenville: Upper Perkiomen Valley Events | Upper Perkiomen Valley | Upper Perkiomen Valley Chamber of Commerce | East Greenville, PA or maybe Boyertown: Building a Better Boyertown - Boyertown PA

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:22 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,677,200 times
The 200k limit is the issue when looking at far-out exurbs like Douglassville. Most of the housing stock there is newer and much more expensive than your limit. Pretty much any house in that price range is going to have one of the following issues:
-Ancient farm house needing lots of repairs.
-Tiny
-Bad crime-ridden neighborhood (Pottstown, etc.)
-Lack of off-street parking, next to a highway, etc.

Personally I'd give up on the country/small town feel and move to an inner-ring suburb like Aston, where you can get a cheap cape cod/ranch/condo in that price range, be close to Philly and medical employment, and just deal with the traffic.

Douglassville exploded in the housing boom when land got scarce further east on 422 where it is closer to employment centers and has experienced a bit of a bust since then. But those homes were never in the OP's price range. Property taxes are also crazy in Berks county on newer construction....have seen a few newer homes sell in the $275,000-$325,000 range recently with $9,000-$10,000+ annual tax bills. Y

Old 10-12-2016, 11:29 PM

417 posts, read 599,177 times
Default About Douglassville

There was another poster a month ago who was looking to relocate to Douglassville. Just to clear up: Douglassville is a postal designation: the municipality is Amity Township. The commute to Philadelphia is hard but it IS done.

(Repeating my previous post =)

Welcome to Berks. Get involved in community events and you'll feel more like a local quicker. Amity Gardens has more new-to-the-area residents than some small towns, so you'll fit in fine.

If you like to hike and you like the quiet, may I recommend hiking to the top of Monocacy Hill just outside the Gardens. You feel like you're on top of the world. You can see for miles in every direction. Most Sundays they have guided hikes on various topics and I highly recommend the Wildflower Walks on April 10th & 17th at 1:30. So much beauty that gets overlooked! (Oh, the hikes are free. Info at monocacyhill.org.)

I don't envy a long commute, but I understand what you're looking for. In a year or so the 422 bypass should be upgraded and the cattle chutes will be but a bad dream. But for now.... grrrr.

I would dispute that you have to spend $250,000 for a house. There are MANY slightly older houses for much less. Go to realtor.com and check out zip 19518. Property taxes are pretty high, but moreso for new construction. Come and visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania