U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:42 PM

271 posts, read 372,072 times

Advertisements

Hello again!

My husband and I took a ride around Chambersburg to look at some homes today. It seems like a great area...tons of shops and restaurants, yet a lot of peaceful back country areas as well. The realtor named some other areas to check out and I just wanted to see if anyone had any good/bad opinions on them. He recommended Greencastle, Shippensburg, Orrstown, Newberg, Newville, St Thomas, Fayetteville, and Mautasville MD. Thanks for any opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 06:59 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,601,966 times
Here are my impressions of these areas (coming from a Chambersburg resident):

1. Greencastle: Greencastle tends to have a lot of higher-end homes due to commuters settling there. They have some more reasonably priced homes as well, but the housing stock in that area tends to lean on the more expensive side.

2. Shippensburg: Shippensburg is a smaller college town that is located between Chambersburg and Carlisle. They have a great event venue called the Luhrs Center that attracts some big name acts. However, there really aren't a ton of shops or restaurants, so you would find yourself probably driving to Chambersburg quite a bit.

3. Orrstown/Newburg/Newville: All three of these are very small farming communities located in either Franklin or Cumberland Counties. They're a bit far from the larger towns in the area, and they're further away from the highway.

4. St. Thomas: St. Thomas is also a small farming community in Franklin County, but it's not far from Chambersburg and connected by Route 30. It's a smaller area, so there may not be a great variety in the housing stock.

5. Fayetteville: Fayetteville is more or less connected to Chambersburg now due to residential and commercial sprawl. Living in Fayetteville is just like living in Chambersburg. You would be in the Chambersburg School District, shopping at Chambersburg stores, and dining at Chambersburg restaurants. Because it's kind of a sprawly suburban area, there is a decent amount of housing stock here to pick from.

6. Maugansville, MD: Maugansville is kind of like Hagerstown's Fayetteville; it's simply an area that grew because of sprawl. Living in Maugansville would put you in the Hagerstown area, so there would be more variety in shopping and dining. However, the area will be more expensive due to its Maryland location. Most people who work in the Chambersburg area tend to live in the Chambersburg area due to the "more bang for your buck" factor.

Personally, if I were you, I would stick to looking in Chambersburg first, and then branch out to these other smaller towns if you cannot find what you're looking for in the Chambersburg area. You'll find the best selection of housing stock here.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:24 PM

Are there any lakes in the area to kayak, fish, maybe even jetski in? We are avid kayakers and my husband loves to fish!

Old 10-15-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Are there any lakes in the area to kayak, fish, maybe even jetski in? We are avid kayakers and my husband loves to fish!
There are two recreational lakes in the area: Cowan's Gap near Fort Loudon (West of Chambersburg) and Caledonia State Park (East of Chambersburg). People also fish along the Conococheague Creek, which runs right through Chambersburg. They have an annual trout derby on this creek as well, so that may interest your husband.

The Appalachian Trail runs right through Caledonia, so that's an interesting place to visit if you also like to hike. Franklin County also has a few large golf courses and Whitetail Ski Resort near Mercersburg. Whitetail is having their fall festival next weekend. You can ride the ski lift to the top of the mountain and enjoy the scenery. They also have some vendors and activities for kids as well. In the winter, they offer skiing and tubing packages. Whitetail is quite popular regionally. A lot of people even come from the D.C. area to take advantage of the slopes.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 AM

Thanks! I was told the nearest places to jetski would be OhioPyle, the Youkaganie River, and Raystown. Do you know how far away the nearest access point to these places would be?

Old 10-17-2016, 07:35 AM

3,790 posts, read 8,108,330 times
Raystown Lake would be about 1.25 to 1.5 hours from Chambersburg. It gets pretty crowded on weekends. Raystown Lake, Pennsylvania - In The Heart of Huntingdon County

Also about 1.25 to 1.5 hours, but to the east, is the Susquehanna River, which averages a mile wide, and about 1.25 to 1.5 inches deep in summer. A Diverse River, A Diverse Experience | Susquehanna River Water Trail There are a series of power dams in Lancaster County (also bordering York County) and one just over the border in MD. Water levels and currents vary. If running obstacles is a challenge for your jet ski, that's the place to go. If you want to make endless circles, it's not.

The only remaining personal watercraft rental place on the Susquehanna in PA appears to be way up in the Sunbury area where "Lake Augusta" offers a more predictable depth. That's 2 hours from Chambersburg on a good day but still closer than the Youghiogheny or "Yough" river.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:56 AM

Do you know what towns these dams are located in? My husband and I are huge water people and would love to be near water! Thanks!

Old 10-18-2016, 07:44 AM

3,790 posts, read 8,108,330 times
All of the land bordering the reservoirs mentioned in posts #4 and #6 is owned by the dam owner (DCNR for Cowans Gap and Caledonia state parks; US Army Corps of Engineers for Raystown and Youghiogheny reservoirs; the respective power companies for York Haven, Safe Harbor, Holtwood, and Conowingo dams along the Susquehanna). The power dams had leased plots for fishing camps, but they are generally trying to clear those out due to unpermitted sewage facilities, etc. so there are no year-round livable homes on these.

There are some small private reservoirs with residential communities containing livable homes, chock-a-block with houses and high association fees growing ever higher to meet various regulatory demands. The closest to Chambersburg that comes to mind for me right now is Lake Meade Property Owners Association - Home Page but there are probably others I'm not thinking of right now.

Some run-of-river areas (not dammed) have private homes. Almost all of these will be floodplain locations, carrying very high flood insurance premiums. The Susquehanna, Juniata, and Potomac rivers vary water levels by tens of feet at flood stage. You could be 12 blocks from the river in the City of Harrisburg and be in a flood zone. One rule of thumb is that if you are below the level of a railroad line, you're in the flood zone. (Along the Susquehanna and Juniata that is by very deliberate choice, the Pennsylvania Railroad was the world's largest corporation at the turn of the 20th century, and rebuilt their lines at that time using hard-won hydrological lessons from the flood of 1889 that covered a much wider area than Johnstown.) Even seasonal-canoe streams such as the Conodoguinet and Yellow Breeches creeks have significant flood zones impacting shack camps to beautiful year-round homes alike.

This article is one of a series in the Harrisburg newspaper covering living near water in this region: Thanks to flood insurance rates, this 'river rat' has had enough | PennLive.com

Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 AM

I dont care if we don't live right on the water. ...we would just like to be a short drive away. It looks like the 2 nearby state parks are good for kayaking and fishing. I guess we would just have to drive a distance to kayak. I'm hoping there are s lot of things to do in the general area. My husband's job offer was sudden and we haven't had much time to explore the area! All I know is that there are a ton of chain restaurants and stores.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
I dont care if we don't live right on the water. ...we would just like to be a short drive away. It looks like the 2 nearby state parks are good for kayaking and fishing. I guess we would just have to drive a distance to kayak. I'm hoping there are s lot of things to do in the general area. My husband's job offer was sudden and we haven't had much time to explore the area! All I know is that there are a ton of chain restaurants and stores.
I listed off a few things in one of the earlier posts, like golf courses and the big ski resort, but there are also frequently festivals and other events that the Chambersburg Chamber of Commerce hold downtown. Two big ones are ChamberFest (summer) and IceFest (winter). Chambersburg also has the usual parades at Christmas, 4th of July, etc. There are also pumpkin patches and Christmas tree farms around, so those are fun things to do this time of year. The Luhrs Center (Shippensburg), Capitol Theater (Chambersburg), and Totem Pole Playhouse (Fayetteville) have musical acts and shows throughout the year, and best of all, they're within a very short driving distance. The Luhrs Center in Shippensburg gets some surprisingly big name acts considering the size of the university.

Chambersburg is also within driving distance of other festivals and events that take place in the region. There is a Mountain Heritage Craft Festival in Jefferson County, WV that has a large regional draw. Harrisburg has the annual Farm Show, as well as an annual Auto Show, so those are within a reasonable driving distance via I-81.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania