Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 20,944 times

Advertisements

What's the best driving route from Harrisburg, PA to Boston, MA if leaving on Tuesday (Thanksgiving week) at 11 am? I'm guessing I-81/I-84 instead of I-78, but want to confirm. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 04:00 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Regardless of the routes that you outlined, if you leave at 11 AM on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, you're going to hit humungous traffic jams. An alternative route that is not crowded and has good grades and smooth surfaces is 81 to Bingo, then 88 to the NYS Thruway to the Mass Pike to Boston. A little crowded east of Framingham, but that can't be helped.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:11 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Assuming you're in an auto, SUV, or small pickup, you can take I-78 to the Lehigh Valley, PA 33 to Stroudsburg, US 209 to Port Jervis, and I-84 from there into New England.

In the years when I was just starting out as a motor fleet (trucking) dispatcher, US 209 was known as the "Ho Chi Minh Trail"; but in the early Eighties, the upper Delaware valley was designated as a Notional Recreation Area, and the truck traffic banned and diverted. Nowadays it's a very convenient shortcut for those of us who remember.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:27 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Assuming you're in an auto, SUV, or small pickup, you can take I-78 to the Lehigh Valley, PA 33 to Stroudsburg, US 209 to Port Jervis, and I-84 from there into New England.

In the years when I was just starting out as a motor fleet (trucking) dispatcher, US 209 was known as the "Ho Chi Minh Trail"; but in the early Eighties, the upper Delaware valley was designated as a Notional Recreation Area, and the truck traffic banned and diverted. Nowadays it's a very convenient shortcut for those of us who remember.
I am sorry; but I disagree. With maybe the possibility of major construction on I-81 or I-84. If you do the millage calculator on Harrisburg to Port Jervis or Harrisburg to Allentown and then to Port Jervis; you will see that the millage is similar (if you add the last two together). It isn't only that; it is the fact that the National Park Service patrols many miles of Route 209 and they can make your trip miserable if you do not watch your speed. You would also encounter stop lights and very slow speed limits on that two lane road.

The OP can check traffic conditions/road work on PA's Interstates with several different web sites. Here is one of them: 511PA.

If I were the OP; I would be more worried about hitting the Waterbury and Hartford areas of Connecticut at rush hour - that could slow up their trip considerably (especially if there is and accident). Of course the traffic on I-90 could also be heavy; but that could be tapering down by the time they get that close. As a trucker; I preferred driving all night long to avoid the traffic - but that was how I got paid (by the mile)!

PS Actually, if we are getting snow, sleet or freezing rain; your way might be the better alternative. They would not climb mountains like they would with the I-81 and I-84 routes.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Yup. Avoid 78 during the holiday weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania