Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:49 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Most Altoona stuff seems to end up in the Pittsburgh section as the other categories are much too far away. Try a couple things....

(a) Go to the main Pennsylvania forum.

(b) Look to the very right for the "search this forum" link, just above the "posts" column.

Hit that, type in Altoona, and you'll find any thread that mentions Altoona. And yes, remember it has two "O"s in it.
I have done that. Still intrigued with Altoona. (Spell check keeps correcting me, guess it doesn't like the two o's, lol). Can't wait to visit & see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 10:15 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Shriners International, an offshoot of Freemasonry. Directly related to the Shriners Hospitals For Children.
Thanks, but it just seems out of place in Altoona. What income do they possibly have to cover their cost and maintenance of such massive facility?

Old 11-27-2016, 04:24 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Apparently Altoona, PA was named for Altona, a city in Germany near and now part of Hamburg. So your spell check may have a Euro bias.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:14 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Thanks, but it just seems out of place in Altoona. What income do they possibly have to cover their cost and maintenance of such massive facility?

Many cities have such places, Pittsburgh had the Syria Mosque. While I have some insight into the Shriners, I can really only guess that these places were built using regular financing methods aided by being associated with the Freemasons. Decades ago most businessmen were members and it wasn't a problem getting things done. Those were times when downtowns were the place to be, people joined clubs, and supported those club's activities.

You'll find the place is available for hall rentals, outside shows are brought in, many things to cover the cost of keeping the place up.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Apparently Altoona, PA was named for Altona, a city in Germany near and now part of Hamburg. So your spell check may have a Euro bias.
Nicely explained, I didn't know that myself.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:02 PM

This is kind of off the thread (?) but is anyone familiar with the last name Stempfley? That is grampa-s last name. I will be going to the history center when I come there but would be interesting to find info beforehand.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This is kind of off the thread (?) but is anyone familiar with the last name Stempfley? That is grampa-s last name. I will be going to the history center when I come there but would be interesting to find info beforehand.
Not personally no but then it doesn't look like Pennsylvania has anybody by that last name in the entire state. That doesn't mean there aren't relatives, just not with that name, perhaps daughters who married might provide some kinfolk.

Try the Blair County courthouse for information first, always information there. The historical society at Baker Mansion would also offer much. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2016, 07:45 PM

Thanks Bazzwell. That's on my list. I plan to spend a week to visit and check out Altoona. For some reason my heart wants me there - even when I've never been there. Feels weird, but good.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:08 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
There's at least one in Mountainhome, PA. He's on Facebook. Young guy.

There are a lot of similar names, spellings: Stempfl, Stempfle, Stempfli, and Stempfly. Some of these people were probably related.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Erie is a dying city with companies leaving. Crime is high. Yes, there is easy access to the lake but the nature areas require a long drive unless you want to be at Presque Isle 24/7. Erie is the second snowiest city in the US behind Syracuse with an average of around 100 inches of snow a year. Erie is also a bigger city. The problem with the larger liberal cities in PA is that COL and taxes are high.
Pretty much everything posted here is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania