Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 02:04 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
^
LOL that's in a completely different county than Pittsburgh for one. Your trolling attempts are pathetic.
Well, Cranberry is the most popular suburb in the Pittsburgh Metro and part of the fastest growing county in Western PA. I can't help it if it is outside of Allegheny County.

As far as industrial, just travel along the Mon, Allegheny, or Ohio in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh).

You haven't produced a factual rebuttal yet and have instead insulted me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
Job growth sure doesn't look good and needs to change.

Update: Philly's top office landlord seeks tax reform, says Council drives off jobs

Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Yep, all of this red tape in Philadelphia and it's still growing jobs at +2.0% per year. Clearly companies want to be here.

What that article is REALLY about, is bill HB 1871 which is currently up for vote in the next session in Harrisburg. If passed, the bill will allow Philadelphia to tax commercial and residential properties differently. If passed in this next session, Philadelphia will increase commercial real estate property taxes, while lowering business taxes and wage taxes. What this will do is put higher taxes on things that can't move like buildings and property, and lower taxes on things that can move like businesses and people. All studies show that this will nearly double Philadelphia's job growth.

Jerry Sweeney, who is a member of the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, and is also CEO of Brandywine Realty Trust - who just so happen to be completing a 736 foot tall, 49 story office and hotel building in Philadelphia, and have proposed Schuylkill Yards, an 8 tower development which will house office, hotel, residential, academic and lab space - want business and wage taxes lowered in Philadelphia. Obviously, they are commercial real estate developers, and benefit big time from companies wanting to be in the city.

It is no secret that Philadelphia has been slow at job growth, in fact, the entire state has been **** poor. Hopefully this bill passes and Philadelphia can start to attract jobs even faster.

The Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, the Center City District, everybody are reving up their propaganda engines to get this bill passed.

From the Center City District:
New Report Documents How Philadelphia’s Antiquated Tax Structure Restrains Job Growth and the Reduction of Poverty, While Limiting Funding for Education

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 01-30-2017 at 08:47 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 03:42 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Yep, all of this red tape in Philadelphia and it's still growing jobs at +2.0% per year. Clearly companies want to be here.

What that article is REALLY about, is bill HB 1871 which is currently up for vote in the next session in Harrisburg. If passed, the bill will allow Philadelphia to tax commercial and residential properties differently. If passed in this next session, Philadelphia will increase commercial real estate property taxes, while lowering business taxes and wage taxes. What this will do is put higher taxes on things that can't move like buildings and property, and lower taxes on things that can move like businesses and people. All studies show that this will nearly double Philadelphia's job growth. [...]

It is no secret that Philadelphia has been slow at job growth, in fact, the entire state has been **** poor. Hopefully this bill passes and Philadelphia can start to attract jobs even faster.
But if SB 76 passes and becomes law too, will any of the workers want to live in Philadelphia?

Will Harrisburg Go Nuclear on Property Taxes? | Property | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 01-31-2017, 07:10 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Warm's my heart - regardless of what boosterism is thrown out there by homers, its nice to know in the 'Real World' that Philly and Pittsburgh are very aware of each other.

Quote:
Philly and Pittsburgh to Team Up on Tech Commercialization

Philly and Pittsburgh to Team Up on Tech Commercialization

Old 01-31-2017, 10:46 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Well, Cranberry is the most popular suburb in the Pittsburgh Metro and part of the fastest growing county in Western PA. I can't help it if it is outside of Allegheny County.

As far as industrial, just travel along the Mon, Allegheny, or Ohio in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh).

You haven't produced a factual rebuttal yet and have instead insulted me.
You are just really embarrassingly wrong with everything. Cranberry township is in BUTLER county not BEAVER county where that plant is going. Which has nothing to do with the city anyway. Just stop posting dude, it really is pathetic. All you do is anti-Pittsburgh trolling on here.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:50 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Warm's my heart - regardless of what boosterism is thrown out there by homers, its nice to know in the 'Real World' that Philly and Pittsburgh are very aware of each other.
This is definitely what I like to see. Pitt working with the University City Science Center (and in turn Drexel and UPenn) will only be a positive for both cities, and the state as a whole.

I think Philly and Pitt are aware of each other - evident in the fact that Comcast has jobs in Pittsburgh, and PNC has jobs in Philly. The big problem is the lack of transit options between the two.

If Philly and Pitt could work together with Amtrak to bolster rail service between the two cities, I think there would be a lot more interplay between companies. Right now, Philly is more connected to NYC, Baltimore, DC and even Boston, than it is to Pittsburgh. I think the lack of transit running between the two is the reason why.

Philly and Pitt also need to work together to combat the rural legislature in Harrisburg. This state is just anti-business as a whole. The majority of the state is slow growth, or stagnant or declining in both jobs and population. And what do they propose in Harrisburg? More income taxes!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:04 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
This is definitely what I like to see. Pitt working with the University City Science Center (and in turn Drexel and UPenn) will only be a positive for both cities, and the state as a whole.

I think Philly and Pitt are aware of each other - evident in the fact that Comcast has jobs in Pittsburgh, and PNC has jobs in Philly. The big problem is the lack of transit options between the two.

If Philly and Pitt could work together with Amtrak to bolster rail service between the two cities, I think there would be a lot more interplay between companies. Right now, Philly is more connected to NYC, Baltimore, DC and even Boston, than it is to Pittsburgh. I think the lack of transit running between the two is the reason why.

Philly and Pitt also need to work together to combat the rural legislature in Harrisburg. This state is just anti-business as a whole. The majority of the state is slow growth, or stagnant or declining in both jobs and population. And what do they propose in Harrisburg? More income taxes!
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the two closest coastal/Interior northeastern major cities. Once Acela is (finally) upgraded to true HSR, Philadelphia-Pittsburgh link should be built. It would be a huge benefit to be the two main cities on the primary route west.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:02 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the two closest coastal/Interior northeastern major cities. Once Acela is (finally) upgraded to true HSR, Philadelphia-Pittsburgh link should be built. It would be a huge benefit to be the two main cities on the primary route west.
The mountainous terrain between the two is the obstacle. Once you pass Harrisburg the topography is a challenge for high speed rail. Its not impossible just incredibly expensive.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:23 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
UGHH! Get it Together Philly

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA: AN INCOMPLETE REVIVAL

http://centercityphila.org/docs/CCR1...eterevival.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania