Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Great Comcast the most HATED company in America is adding jobs, while the city Philadelphia is still in a significant Jobs deficit, which Pittsburgh is NOT. I will admit part of my post was to see how your Narcissistic Thin-Skinned Philadelphia Homersim would react to such news. And you didn't surprise me.

Plus did you know there news that Verizon may buy the beloved Comcast?
Lol. Verizon would likely be the seller, not the buyer...
Could Verizon, Comcast Unite In A Merger Of Equals? | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

Also gotta love the constant shots at Philadelphia. Yes... Pittsburgh is just doing loads better on the job front with it's 0.1% job growth from 2016 to 2017 versus Philadelphia's 1.9%.... incase you don't know, that's 19 times faster in which Philadelphia is growing over Pittsburgh on the job front.

Housing market cooling off in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

And before you try to continue your nonsense that Pittsburgh and Allegheny County are growing while the rest of the region is losing, and that Philadelphia city is losing while the rest of the region is growing... you're wrong. Allegheny County's job growth is just as flat. Philadelphia on the other hand, is adding 1/3 of all jobs being added to the region.

Allegheny County's flat jobs growth | TribLIVE

The Philadelphia region added 65,000 jobs from February 2016 to February 2017 for a 3.0% increase. Philadelphia city added 22,000 of those jobs for a 3.2% increase.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atla...iladelphia.htm

Keep on keepin' on with your same tired BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 05:35 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
I got the new month's magazine in the mail today. Tucked away deep on pages 106-107 and finished on pages 206-207.

The whole thing is sensationalist, but it's nice to read about the good things going on in the 'burgh. A nice regional city that has a few outstanding educational institutions and a few legacy endowments. As the one guy who left Philly to go to Pittsburgh is quoted as saying "Pittsburgh isn't like- DC,Philly, or NY- it's much more of a close knit community".

The one thing I didn't like was his usage of John Fry's comments about the "crisis of urgency", when Fry was using that speech to hype up one of the largest public/private proposals in US history, the Schuylkill Yards/30th Street District.

As with any thriving city, you need to always be working with the mindset of you could be, should be, and can be doing more (Chris Christie said this about AC the other day, first quality quote from him in quite awhile).

The idea that Pittsburgh is "overshadowing" Philadelphia is in one word, ludicrous. Especially in a big week like this. So no, we can confirm BB didn't write the story

The future is in Philadelphia

The city is looking prime right now for it.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 04-24-2017 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 05:57 PM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
The basic point remains: Philadelphia remains in deficit relative to its employment level in 1970, while every other city in the Northeast Corridor has recovered all the jobs they lost since then and most have passed 1970 levels. Employment in Allegheny County stands well above its 1970 level; it's the rest of Greater Pittsburgh that's depressed still.

I hate to confirm any statement of Blackbeauty212's mainly because of the level of hostility she shows towards this place - what on earth did we do to injure you so? - but the two metros are roughly mirror images: Allegheny County is surging while the rest of the Pittsburgh region continues to sink like a rock, while for most of that same period, Philadelphia's suburbs picked up the slack in the city. (I was a reverse commuter for several years myself.)

Philadelphia's recent surge in job growth is playing catch-up, then. And there's nothing wrong at all with that: I'm using my own career to suggest to the organizers that we have a panel on "Late Bloomers" at my 40th Harvard class reunion three years hence. But we can't pretend that we're not still digging ourselves out of a hole. I expect to get another dose of this medicine at tomorrow morning's Central Philadelphia Development Corporation quarterly meeting, where the 2017 "State of Center City" report will be released.

Of which speaking, how many of you out there have checked out the latest "State of the City" report from the Pew Charitable Trusts? While the report notes all the positive changes that have taken place in Philadelphia in the last 10-15 years, it waves a bunch of yellow caution flags.

The good news is, we have it within our power to have those flags lowered. Are we up for the task?

Old 04-24-2017, 06:16 PM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I got the new month's magazine in the mail today. Tucked away deep on pages 106-107 and finished on pages 206-207.

The whole thing is sensationalist, but it's nice to read about the good things going on in the 'burgh. A nice regional city that has a few outstanding educational institutions and a few legacy endowments. As the one guy who left Philly to go to Pittsburgh is quoted as saying "Pittsburgh isn't like- DC,Philly, or NY- it's much more of a close knit community".

The one thing I didn't like was his usage of John Fry's comments about the "crisis of urgency", when Fry was using that speech to hype up one of the largest public/private proposals in US history, the Schuylkill Yards/30th Street District.

As with any thriving city, you need to always be working with the mindset of you could be, should be, and can be doing more (Chris Christie said this about AC the other day, first quality quote from him in quite awhile).

The idea that Pittsburgh is "overshadowing" Philadelphia is in one word, ludicrous. Especially in a big week like this. So no, we can confirm BB didn't write the story

The future is in Philadelphia

The city is looking prime right now for it.
Of course she didn't. She wouldn't have been anywhere near as witty ("If you've come this far and are now concerned that somehow you've picked up the wrong city magazine...")

I think Fry's point is nonetheless valid, and the whole point of the article is to light a fire under our collective butts if you will. (Note that it was subtitled "What I learned about Philly when I went to Pittsburgh.")

But as for "overshadowing," the reply is actually, "Depends on what you're talking about." The actual focus of the article was the competition for preeminence in emerging technology in the decades to come. Pittsburgh isn't about to become a first-tier city overall, but it does stand a very good chance of becoming one of those two dozen tech leaders in our place rather than alongside us.

As I noted above, Pennovation Works is nascent and Schuylkill Yards still blueprints, while in Pittsburgh, they've channeled the ghost of the Allegheny Conference* to spur further growth and development of its already robust tech sector. And we can't find money for someone's off-the-beaten path startup when we're sloshing in it, so the guy packs up for the city he admits isn't quite as bustling? You can't read something like that and tell me everything here's just hunky-dory.

John Fry (who I have told to his face that I'm a fan) is right to exhort us off our butts.

*The Allegheny Conference was a roundtable of the city's business and industrial leaders that was formed in the early 1950s in order to confront the problems the city faced. The group made major strides in cleaning up the region's air even while the steel plants were going full steam, and it laid the groundwork for the renewal of the Golden Triangle. Boston had a similar organization - it had no formal name but was known as "the Vault" after where it met - that also did a take-the-bull-by-the-horns approach to pulling the city and region out of the three-decade-long funk it had been in after textiles decamped New England wholesale for the South. I consider it significant that no similar organization was ever formed here.

By the way, did you read the article on page 50?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The basic point remains: Philadelphia remains in deficit relative to its employment level in 1970, while every other city in the Northeast Corridor has recovered all the jobs they lost since then and most have passed 1970 levels. Employment in Allegheny County stands well above its 1970 level; it's the rest of Greater Pittsburgh that's depressed still.

I hate to confirm any statement of Blackbeauty212's mainly because of the level of hostility she shows towards this place - what on earth did we do to injure you so? - but the two metros are roughly mirror images: Allegheny County is surging while the rest of the Pittsburgh region continues to sink like a rock, while for most of that same period, Philadelphia's suburbs picked up the slack in the city. (I was a reverse commuter for several years myself.)

Philadelphia's recent surge in job growth is playing catch-up, then. And there's nothing wrong at all with that: I'm using my own career to suggest to the organizers that we have a panel on "Late Bloomers" at my 40th Harvard class reunion three years hence. But we can't pretend that we're not still digging ourselves out of a hole. I expect to get another dose of this medicine at tomorrow morning's Central Philadelphia Development Corporation quarterly meeting, where the 2017 "State of Center City" report will be released.

Of which speaking, how many of you out there have checked out the latest "State of the City" report from the Pew Charitable Trusts? While the report notes all the positive changes that have taken place in Philadelphia in the last 10-15 years, it waves a bunch of yellow caution flags.

The good news is, we have it within our power to have those flags lowered. Are we up for the task?
This is what I've been saying to those on this thread for years...

Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
Civil war cannon balls to be removed starting today.

Cannonballs found at Lawrenceville construction site set to be removed | TribLIVE

Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...s/pennsylvania

http://www.philly.com/philly/educati...in-the-US.html

PA performed well overall, especially the Philadelphia area.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-25-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Great news on both fronts. Regarding the Draft, I wonder if Philadelphia will continue to host if the event goes well this year??

Also, the Penn Relays are the same weekend as the Draft, so the city is going to be a mad house! I'll stick with the calmness of NYC haha.
The predicted weather will bring EVERYONE out. Hopefully the humdity will stay low.

There has already been talk about bringing the draft back next year, depending.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:57 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Okay since Comcast is "hated" they shouldn't add jobs? High paying jobs at that... You realize Comcast is one of the worlds most powerful companies and it is headquartered in Pennsylvania, maybe not Pittsburgh, but still in PA. Somehow I feel if Comcast decided tomorrow to pack up and move to Pittsburgh you would be jumping for joy and bashing Philly for losing Comcast. Philadelphia and the entire state of PA should be extremely thankful to have a company like Comcast choosing to stay here, when they could have moved to NYC years ago.

Also, did you even read the Verizon article, A) It would be a merger, and B) It's all hypothetical, its simpy quoting Verizon CEO saying he would answer the phone if Comcast called with an idea.

I sure love your name calling, very mature and intelligent.
And Apple wants to buy Disney... Well... that one was debunked.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Arts Festival Lineup. I love this time of year.

https://traf.trustarts.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania