Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:33 AM

31 posts, read 139,142 times

Advertisements

I could comment on things already covered like shopping, schools in Boyertown etc but that's already been covered. So I want to address something that hasn't been touched on. My family moved to Boyertown in 2001 from about 1 hour away. Two weeks after we got here we were watching my daughter who plays for the basketball team and started a conversation with a woman next to us. She told us how unfriendly the people were from the Boyertown area. We were surprised how open and honest she was with us, and being new to the area wondered if we would find the same thing or maybe this was something only she experienced and wouldn't happen to us. She was right. I asked several people about why this is and the consensus seems to be that "people in the Boyertown area were born here, went to High School here and were raised here and don't take to outsiders" meaning anyone who wasn't raised in Boyertown.

Also, a friend of mine who lived in this Boyertown/Pottstown area all her life and moved to Florida about when we moved to Boyertown told me she was surprised when I moved my family to Boyertown and that she thought we would'nt like it. Yes because of the unfriendliness of the area and, as you mentioned, the reputation Pottstown had/has.

Sorry I can't be positive but this was not just our experiences, but others too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Default My Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
I could comment on things already covered like shopping, schools in Boyertown etc but that's already been covered. So I want to address something that hasn't been touched on. My family moved to Boyertown in 2001 from about 1 hour away. Two weeks after we got here we were watching my daughter who plays for the basketball team and started a conversation with a woman next to us. She told us how unfriendly the people were from the Boyertown area. We were surprised how open and honest she was with us, and being new to the area wondered if we would find the same thing or maybe this was something only she experienced and wouldn't happen to us. She was right. I asked several people about why this is and the consensus seems to be that "people in the Boyertown area were born here, went to High School here and were raised here and don't take to outsiders" meaning anyone who wasn't raised in Boyertown.

Also, a friend of mine who lived in this Boyertown/Pottstown area all her life and moved to Florida about when we moved to Boyertown told me she was surprised when I moved my family to Boyertown and that she thought we would'nt like it. Yes because of the unfriendliness of the area and, as you mentioned, the reputation Pottstown had/has.

Sorry I can't be positive but this was not just our experiences, but others too.
I'm not going to go off defending the history or people of Boyertown. I could certainly contribute a few stories about racism and the nepotism among the locals, but this is hardly unique to B-town. Like many places, it has a lot to do with the rich history and the native families that have lived here for generations. However, as much as this certainly held true in the past, I can say with confidence that the attitudes are changing. I've seen a real shift here with regard to eliminating those exclusive social habits, because many have finally realized how detrimental that really is to the town's reputation. There is now an initiative in place to "better" Boyertown by attracting more businesses and a "No Place for Hate" program implemented within the school system. It would be idealistic to say that these initiatives have completely solved these old problems, but they are certainly a good start.

Essentially, many small towns aren't necessarily socially affable for newcomers -- I honestly believe that just tends comes with the territory. However, if you're looking for a safe suburban community that's actively refurbishing its image and is located near plenty of economic opportunity, a place such as Boyertown will definitely give you a good fit.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 AM

3 posts, read 19,982 times
Thanks to all who have responded. My hubby didn't get the job, so it's to MO instead of PA.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:12 AM

36 posts, read 140,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_mom_2006 View Post
You might want to check into the Green Lane, Red Hill, Pennsburg area. Those towns are a 20 minute drive to Boyertown. Small family friendly towns, low crime rate, school district is good (Upper Perk School District). A super Walmart just opened in East Greenville (neighboring town to Pennsburg). There is also a dance studio on Main Street in East Greenville, YMCA also there.

If you go 15 minutes down the road from Pennsburg into Quakertown you will find almost any store you could want (Target opening soon, Walmart, Staples, Kohls, Kmart, the list goes on and on....). There is also a very good gymnastics studio and dance studio in Quakertown. Quakertown also has its own soccer club that I believe any child can join without being a Quakertown resident. Several churches within 5-15 minute ride of this area. Good luck.
I second that!
i live in Pennsburg and I love it.
It would be an easy commute to Boyertown. It is one of the last affordable places to live. You will have a lot of housing options to choose from. And I am very happy with the Upper Perkiomen School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania