Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,988 times

Advertisements

I love Chester County Pa. You are far enough in the coutry to have some peace and quiet. plus you are only about 1 hour from Philly airport and some of the most amazing educational sights. Almost every community has summer concert series in the park. The weather usually gives you a few good snow storms but not to much. You are close enough ( with 3 hours ) of the Maryland , NJ and Deleware beaches for fun in the summer and only a few hours to teh Poconos. Downingtown is also close to large employment markets like King of Prussia, and Exton, the Main Line etc.. I think the one thing Chester County should be know for is its great park systems.
Downingtown, West Chester and Phenoxville are all some great school districts so you could really broaden a search area. The downingtown Borough has a web site- . org I think. Good luck on your move to PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 02:18 PM

29 posts, read 195,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asegura View Post
Thanks for the reply and giving me some more insight. I'm starting to see how important sports are out there. That is one reason why we want to get away from California is to get ahead and get away from the all the problems and gangs and illegal aliens that are causing a major strain in the economy. One thing I will probaly miss is the weather and all the places where I can ride my motorcycle but I'm willing to sacrafice to raise my kids in a better place. Once again thanks for your post and maybe we will past each other on the freeway. Where in California do you live if you dont mind me asking?
I live in San Carlos, which is about 25 miles south of San Francisco, and people around here refer to it as the "Bay Area". It is beautiful here, and yeah, lots of gangs, illegals, and people. Definitely a rat race around here with all the people and cars and it does get frustrating at times. As I said, I love California, but I love Pennsylvania also. You need not have any concerns about moving to Pennsylvania - it is very similar to California in that it is a big state with lots to do. You will find plenty of back country roads to ride your motorcylcle, as Pennsylvania is very rural and green. Skiing is not as good as the Sierra's due to the elevation of the Appalachians - about 4000ft. tops. But, you can ski in PA, it is not Lake Tahoe though. I do not want to offend anyone here, but if you have been reading the posts from "outapa", please take them as his opinion. I don't think he has a very happy life the way he writes about living in PA. As I mentioned before, it is all in your attitude, and you have the right attitude that this will be a new adventure and new beginning and that sure is exciting - no matter where you choose to live!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:32 PM

33 posts, read 134,287 times
Smile Living in Northeast PA.

I live in Northeast PA. and also have many ties to Pittsburgh, PA. Graduated from University of California, PA. and my wife is from Washington, PA. [south of Pittsburgh].

I sent you a PM. Please read and contact me if you have interest in additional info on both areas.

You really cannot compare Pittsburgh to the Scranton area. Each area has its' aspects and you will need to research both areas. I have been in the Northeast area since 1983. Spent many years in the Pittsburgh area also, so email and we can talk!
Thanks.
Snapline

Old 12-20-2006, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 16,015 times
As a former resident of Apple Valley, CA, I can certainly tell you this place is very different from the desert! We moved here for some of the same reasons: to get a change of pace and escape the ruffians who were moving out of L.A. We ended up in Dingmans Ferry, PA (Pike County, about 90 minutes from NYC), and I can tell you it's a world apart. It's a bit like Big Bear & Lake Arrowhead, if that helps you put things in perspective. Here in Dingmans Ferry we're about 20 minutes to the nearest skiing (Shawnee Mt.), there are waterfalls galore, and the scenery is pretty nice too. The schools are good, and you'll find the locals are friendlier than the Cali sort. I've found that places like Dingmans Ferry, though they may have a relatively large population, have a very small town feel. People gather at the post office or the gas station to chat, and you can find out most of what is going on in town that way. Scranton is nice, but certainly a good sized city. Pittsburgh I've only been to once, but it felt very big city to me. I prefer smaller cities myself. I hope this helps, and feel free to contact me about anything.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 29,798 times
Well I'm not familiar with that area, but beware western PA is called Pennsyltucky. However, the suburbs of Phillie are very nice, especially chester county. I live in Downingtown and we have pretty much everything here. The school district is excellent and its also pretty big so there is a wide range of areas and different styles to live in, yet still be in awesome schools. As for location I have to say its the best out of all the places I have lived in. We can go to NYC for the day, its just 3-4 hours away, we take the train directly in to Phillie, the beach is just a few hours away (a very big novelty for me and my family after living in landlocked states) and Lancaster where the Amish live keep our family and friends entertained while they are visiting. Theres also a few key amusement parks that are a few hours away and skiing is just a short drive. I have to say, when my parents picked a place to move to they did a good job. We have everything here! We've lived here for going on 6 years and love it.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:53 AM

90 posts, read 377,789 times
The Scranton area is beautiful. They call it the Endless Mountains. You will love it there. The homes are affordable also. You can get a home on 2 acres for around $175,000. depending on which town you choose.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterlargodude View Post
nepa is horrible i wouldnt move back there id take a hurricane any day 80 degrees and sunny december 29 here in tampa bay
I guess if you want to deal with hurricanes and all the other things, you should be fine down there.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,510 times
ouch. nepa is becoming a suburb of New jersey. this entials the good- the bad and the ugly.

On the other hand- i would not be quick to write it off.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 PM

Default You would do fine in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterlargodude View Post
Give me a break nepa is terrible, it has the worst bumpy roads, dirtiest scenery, black coal all over, and the local governments are ran like a 1985 mcdonalds and not to mention the weather is horrible most educated people like me leave right after college. Educated people know where it it good and invest in locations where there is room for job growth and promise, nepa is far from that now especially with the trash movin in from unaffordable dirty jersey.

Why not choose New York City? People that are highly educated make a wonderful living right in the heart of the Big Apple. Sure if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere! The pay is fantastic, the restaurants are to die for and the city never sleeps. What more could a young educated person like you want? You have unending possibilities too.
A change of seasons, broadway shows, Wall Street, 5th Avenue, Central Park,
opportunites abounding everywhere.
Florida is nice too if that's a person's cup of tea. We love Florida but don't want to deal with the fierce hurricanes that can destroy your home in a matter of minutes, let alone the tornadoes that came through the Pasco County area last week. Devasting storms take away your dreams in the blink of an eye.
I will take NEPA anyday over the devasting storms that Florida endures.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 15,811 times
Default Nepa

I would choose NEPA anyday then the high crime areas of tampa and st pete,fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania