Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:10 PM

194 posts, read 281,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
The 2018 mid-term elections will paint a clearer picture and I think the democrats come back strong.

Why though? What are they offering beside Russian Conspiracy Theories. It's definetly possible but I don't see how on their present course.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:28 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Lol no.... Not a soul I know who went for Bernie voted for or supports Trump. Trump and Bernie are nothing alike and you know it.
Sadly I know a Bernie or Bust Bro who went Trump in my native Luzerne County, which went overwhelmingly for Trump.

When ~50% of the country was pi$$ed off at the socioeconomic status quo it wasn't the best time to run a candidate whose platform was, more or less, "eight more years of the same" socioeconomcially. I'm a liberal, and I'm irked that people are already discussing the next recession when I'm still licking my wounds from the first one. I'm going to be angry with the DNC for sabotaging Bernie for quite some time to come, actually, unless someone can help me soothe this grudge.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 PM

821 posts, read 761,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sadly I know a Bernie or Bust Bro who went Trump in my native Luzerne County, which went overwhelmingly for Trump.

When ~50% of the country was pi$$ed off at the socioeconomic status quo it wasn't the best time to run a candidate whose platform was, more or less, "eight more years of the same" socioeconomcially. I'm a liberal, and I'm irked that people are already discussing the next recession when I'm still licking my wounds from the first one. I'm going to be angry with the DNC for sabotaging Bernie for quite some time to come, actually, unless someone can help me soothe this grudge.
You have every right to be upset. I cannot tell you how many liberals I know that have turned their back on the Democratic party. It was the party of the people at one time...

Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgjdennis View Post
I don't know why that is so funny but you are wrong. Bernie and Trump both talked about Economic Issues where as with Hillary was hyper focused on Identity Politics. Maybe Bernie could have stopped the party from hemorrhaging white Voters because now all I hear Democrats talking about is Identity Politics and Russian Conspiracy Theories. Anyway "Not a Soul you know who voted for Bernie voted for Trump" doesn't mean anything. It's antecedol information at best.
Because it's hilarous to think a large amount of the most left wing voters in this country would vote for someone who has building a wall that mexico would pay for and banning all Muslims from entry as part of their campain platform. Anyone who thinks the two are alike is ridiculously ill-informed.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 03-23-2017 at 10:28 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
You have every right to be upset. I cannot tell you how many liberals I know that have turned their back on the Democratic party. It was the party of the people at one time...
Have they said Who are they going to vote for in the future then? Or will they just stay home and let the alt right win more?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Why though? What are they offering beside Russian Conspiracy Theories. It's definetly possible but I don't see how on their present course.
What did the GOP offer in 2010 besides useless repeal votes that were never going pass the House? Record low approval ratings for so soon in a presidency. The FBI doesn't just investigate conspiracy theories as well.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Because it's hilarous to think a large amount of the most left wing voters in this country would vote for someone who has building a wall that mexico would pay for and banning all Muslims from entry as part of their campain platform. Anyone who thinks the two are alike is ridiculously ill-informed.
Did I say that they are alike? Who said anything about Leftist? Thank you for not addressing any of my points by the way. The fact is I think Bernie could have picked up a lot of Moderates and Independents that Trump was able to pick up instead. Hillary relied too much on identity politics and social issues. Trump and Bernie both focused on Economic Problems. Now I think working class people have left the Democrats for good. Democrats can't win without them.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Did I say that they are alike? Who said anything about Leftist? Thank you for not addressing any of my points by the way. The fact is I think Bernie could have picked up a lot of Moderates and Independents that Trump was able to pick up instead. Hillary relied too much on identity politics and social issues. Trump and Bernie both focused on Economic Problems. Now I think working class people have left the Democrats for good. Democrats can't win without them.
No but I don't see how anyone who liked and actually knew what Bernie's platform was would vote for Trump, they are polar opposites on so many issues including economic things like coal. He won because of 70,000 votes in three different states, let's not act like this was a repeat of Reagan in the 80's. Currently a 42% average approval rating, an all time low for a president two months in. Sounds like some are already having regrets.......

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Trump: Favorable/Unfavorable

It's not hard to tell that you're a GOP party member to the max and they will always have your vote. People aren't that stupid though, if things don't get better under the Manhattan billionaire, many won't back him again. Trump said it in himself in his book The Art of a Deal, you have to eventually give them what they want or they'll catch on. Many said the Democrats were dead after 2004 and then Democrats said that about the GOP after 2008. How did those guesses work out? More people identify as independent now than ever before so those people won't be beholden to one party if things don't get better. The white working class baby boomers that voted Trump in are starting have less influence on elections now as well as the proportion of people who are college educated and non white in this country continues to grow. Demographics still are not on the GOP's side in the future. IIRC, 2020 will be the first election in a long time baby boomers will not be the largest generational voting bloc.

Going into this election, I thought no matter who won, they were going to have a high chance compared to other election winners of just being a one term president and my opinion on that hasn't changed at all.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 03-24-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-24-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
No but I don't see how anyone who liked and actually knew what Bernie's platform was would vote for Trump, they are polar opposites on so many issues including economic things like coal. He won because of 70,000 votes in three different states, let's not act like this was a repeat of Reagan in the 80's. Currently a 42% average approval rating, an all time low for a president two months in. Sounds like some are already having regrets.......

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Trump: Favorable/Unfavorable

It's not hard to tell that you're a GOP party member to the max and they will always have your vote. People aren't that stupid though, if things don't get better under the Manhattan billionaire, many won't back him again. Trump said it in himself in his book The Art of a Deal, you have to eventually give them what they want or they'll catch on. Many said the Democrats were dead after 2004 and then Democrats said that about the GOP after 2008. How did those guesses work out? More people identify as independent now than ever before so those people won't be beholden to one party if things don't get better. The white working class baby boomers that voted Trump in are starting have less influence on elections now as well as the proportion of people who are college educated and non white in this country continues to grow. Demographics still are not on the GOP's side in the future. IIRC, 2020 will be the first election in a long time baby boomers will not be the largest generational voting bloc.

Going into this election, I thought no matter who won, they were going to have a high chance compared to other election winners of just being a one term president and my opinion on that hasn't changed at all.

Polls are meant to influence public opinion not measure it. Trump has not lost any support from the people who voted for him. He is doing everything he promised. If polls were accurate at All Hillary would be President.

It's much easier to get elected for a second term. Unless there is some huge disaster Trump will win the 2020 election. Already every month the RNC is recieving a record number of donations

This Demographic Crap is such nonsense. Someone wrote a book about it and a bunch web sites pushed it and apparently there are people on this forum that still believe it. If there was any truth to it Texas, Florida, Arizona and Nevada would all be Blue States. Trump won White College Educated Voters by less margins then other Republicans but he targeted working class people so that makes sense. College Educated Whites will be back they aren't going to keep voting against their own best interest. Plus they voted Republican like they always do for offices in the Senate and Congress.

Also most of those young white people will become Republicans when they hit about 30 and get good jobs, families and are settled. Whites are voting like a Minority Group. Trump won something like 56% of Whites. If the GOP can get into the 60% range there will never be another Democrat President again. Plus Hispanics usually vote Republican after they enter the Middle Class.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Polls are meant to influence public opinion not measure it. Trump has not lost any support from the people who voted for him. He is doing everything he promised. If polls were accurate at All Hillary would be President.

It's much easier to get elected for a second term. Unless there is some huge disaster Trump will win the 2020 election. Already every month the RNC is recieving a record number of donations

This Demographic Crap is such nonsense. Someone wrote a book about it and a bunch web sites pushed it and apparently there are people on this forum that still believe it. If there was any truth to it Texas, Florida, Arizona and Nevada would all be Blue States. Trump won White College Educated Voters by less margins then other Republicans but he targeted working class people so that makes sense. College Educated Whites will be back they aren't going to keep voting against their own best interest. Plus they voted Republican like they always do for offices in the Senate and Congress.

Also most of those young white people will become Republicans when they hit about 30 and get good jobs, families and are settled. Whites are voting like a Minority Group. Trump won something like 56% of Whites. If the GOP can get into the 60% range there will never be another Democrat President again. Plus Hispanics usually vote Republican after they enter the Middle Class.
You realize voters skew older so the racial demographic changes in the US haven't hit the electorate as much as the general population yet, right? You realize Nevada went for Clinton too and elected a Democrat to replace Harry Reid, right? Do you have any evidence millennials will turn into conservatives? Pew's party affiliation by demographics shows little change among Generation X since 1992 and Millennials since 2000. Non whites of all ages show a disdain for Turmp as well and if you think whites will still be 70% of the electorate in 10-20 years, I'm afraid I've got some bad news....

http://www.people-press.org/2016/09/...ers-1992-2016/
http://www.people-press.org/2016/09/...tical-parties/

Last edited by bradjl2009; 03-24-2017 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania