Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
That's cool that Red Robin is having the training and invited the public. I'm kind of bummed we didn't receive any invitations in the mail You'll have to let us know what you think of the place Dawne
Mine came in a red envelope from Lehigh Valley Restaurant Group in Allentown. I had never heard of them and have no idea how they got my name. I'll definitely let you all know what I think of it afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:05 AM

11 posts, read 42,717 times
I work over at Sunbury Generation (The Power Plant on Old Trail) And as I looked out the window of my office this morning, I saw that the traffic lights are blinking at the Monroe Marketplace entrance. They're not cycling through Green, Yellow, and Red yet, but they're on. They must really be getting close to having things ready.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 AM

44 posts, read 127,734 times
Thumbs up Work there - play there.....oh and live here... :)

I do have a pt job at one of the anchor stores and yes, it is scheduled to open in October. The back road next to Target is one way only, i.e., you can come into the shopping center that way but you cannot exit. (from what I am hearing the people who live on Pine Lane and Park Road wanted it this way - older nicer homes back there, most likely older folks and they just don't want to deal with the traffic).

It will be interesting, at least from my perspective, to watch to see what the "other" stores in the area do with all this competition. While I do work a full time job, and then this part time job, I also live and shop in this area. Already you can see the local Walmart attempting to increase their product line, etc. Business being business I will shop where I get the most bang for my buck - not necessarily the cheapest.

I am anxiously awaiting Petsmart, as I really would prefer to work there part time than where I do. I have never worked in retail and I am finding out their lives pretty much revolve around when the store is open, etc. Thankfully, as I stated, this is a part time job - sought mostly for the holiday income/store discount.

I can tell you, from the inside looking out - the community will be VERY pleased with the product line this store has to offer - as well as the staff they are employing. They are taking great efforts to train the staff and not just herd perople into and thru the stores simply to make a quick $$. I would expect this particular company to have great community involvement and hopefully, the locals will reap those rewards.

BTW, the MM is a great walking place too - if you start at the bottom and walk all the way up and around, I am betting it equates out to a pretty good walk. I am planning on mapping that out soon - just keep forgetting!

The lady at Bailey's (I think it is Bailey's - the one that is open right now) told me that PPL WILL NOT open the gate at the bottom of the road (at the Old Trail) at the first light (going toward Selinsgrove) so unfortunately, when you exit MM at the light, there will not be direct access from the Old Trail up at the first light. At the second light, PPL agreed to have a small portion paved (for the traffic signal thingy underneath) however will not agree nor pay for the road to be paved, so it will remain dirt, but you will be able to go straight at that light (exiting MM) and gain direct access to the Old Trail. I do see Shamokin Dam Boro police as well as the FD increasing their activity due to accidents, etc., so suggest all local residents remember them for a quick monetary donation. (It appears PPL is being a bad neighbor.) Just remember also that the Old Trail speed limit is around 30-35 and the police are out there now - I am certain it will increase drastically in October and then on. Remember Shamokin Dam boro makes alot of $$ from speeding tickets. Plus, the Old Trail has a ton of children and also kids on bikes. Old Trail traffic will likely increase so using Maple Street on the other side the highway might work out better for some.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:12 PM

So from your post, it sounds like it's okay to go drive around in there? I'd love to do that but I don't want to get in trouble if I'm somewhere I'm not supposed to be.

I noticed yesterday morning that the traffic lights on 11/15 were blinking yellow. It won't be long now!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
I've been in there three times already....the first being about three weeks ago and nobody seemed to care. The first time there still was a lot of paving that needed finished so didn't drive around much. The last time was last week and could basically go anywhere. There were people working outside and nobody even looked toward my car when I was driving around. You should be safe if you want to gain a peek

Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 AM

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I'm a weenie when it comes to situations where I might get in trouble - I was one of those annoying "goody two-shoes" in high school.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 AM

44 posts, read 127,734 times
Default Sure...you can go in....

In fact, some of the stores will even let you come in a "peek" around....I know the store (which I am just not revealing at this point because they may not like it) is doing limited community service tours, i.e., police, fire departments, etc. It is a very large complex and it will be interesting because there is also a traffic signal up inside the complex - lots of new traffic patterns, etc. that folks around here may have to get used to. I am excited about Giant opening myself. I shop at Giant and am looking forward to having a larger and variety of selections. I love trying different things. I also am looking forward to Michaels and Petsmart - but for different reasons. I would like to work at Petsmart and intend on applying for part time as soon as I can get more information on where and when.

No one will "shoooo" you away. You are their bread and butter and they better treat you like a Queen!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM

To paraphrase Dora the Explorer: doo-doo-doo, doo, doo-doo-doo- I did it!! Yay!

I just got back from my drive-through at the Monroe Marketplace. It's huge! And exciting. The landscaping is going in and will be beautiful - trees and flowers. . . Some stores have their names on and there seem to be quite a few available smaller stores, especially near Giant.

I did see the "wrong way" signs behind Target, so you can't exit out the back way. I went in and out at the entrance near Red Robin. The other entrance seems to only go to the Giant gas pumps, although there is a large staging area with equipment behind there so maybe that will eventually be developed- not sure on that.

Some stores look ready to open, quite a few had cars in their parking lots, and some weren't ready yet. For example, Michaels still had plywood where their front windows and door will be.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 AM

11 posts, read 42,717 times
Anyone know when Giant is set to open yet? I looked out my window again this morning, and saw a "Giant Foods" truck pulling around the back of what building I assume is Giant. Could they be stocking food already?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 AM

133 posts, read 316,922 times
When I was in the Giant a month or so ago, a clerk told me they were going to be opening the new store the end of September. I will be going up that way shopping today, if I can find out anymore I will post the new info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania