Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,372 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there's a back way into the MM? I heard that what was there was closed to traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,333 times
Yes, you can get in beside Target, but you cannot exit that way. You have to exit onto Routes 11/15.

Monchichi, here are the dates I know about:

Red Robin opens today (9/29).
Best Buy opens October 2.
Most of the larger stores seem to be opening October 8 with a "grand" opening on October 12. These include Target, Giant, Kohls (?).
I think Michael's isn't scheduled to open until 2009 sometime.
I'm not sure on any of the others, but that's a start, at least.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 AM

RED ROBIN REPORT

My husband and I had a wonderful lunch at Red Robin on Thursday. Being a training exercise, we were fully prepared for long waits and slow service. From the time we parked our car until we were in it again after lunch, it was just about an hour. We were pleasantly surprised.

We were met outside the restaurant by a young woman who checked my invitation card and authorization number. Then she gave us cards to use to sign up on Red Robin's web site for coupons, birthday promotions and other things. We then met with a young man at the door, who explained that the meal and beverage were complimentary. If we wished, we could order a milk shake or drink from the bar, but we would pay for those and the proceeds were given to the Hummels Wharf Fire Department. Alcoholic drinks were about $6.99, and non-alcoholic and milk shakes about $4.99. He gave us two laminated cards, explaining that in order for the kitchen staff to get a variety of things to cook we had to order from the section of the menu on those cards. We got one for burgers and one for entree. We could not order appetizers unless we had a card for them, which we did not.

I have never been to a Red Robin before. The first thing that struck me upon entering was the colors. There was a plethora of primary colors (reds, blues, yellows) and it was very festive. There's a TV in the floor to the right as you walk in. In the floor!! My kids will love that.

We were seated and our waitress, Mary, came over to explain the menu and get us started with our drink orders. We opted for just sodas, although I was tempted to get a milkshake to share (it's basically a double order, with a glass and a refill in a metal cup) but decided not to.

My husband ordered the bacon cheeseburger from the burger menu. This also comes with "bottomless" steak fries (or was it endless?). I had the entree card, so I decided to go for the chicken on fettucine alfredo. It comes with broccoli, which I can't stand. I asked Mary if I could get it without the broccoli and after checking, she told me I could so I ordered that.

While waiting for our food to arrive another server brought around some complimentary steak fries. Very good but quite salty. We like our fries salty and usually dump salt on them as soon as they come. Thankfully we tasted these first, and they certainly did not need more salt!

We were seated straight back from the door. The area was quite close, with a long bench with the bar right behind us. This bench then had about six tables for two in front of it, with chairs on the other side of the tables. The people next to us had four, so they pushed two tables together. Some of the tables had fold-under leaves so I imagine they could be opened to accommodate a large party there. The restaurant was quite noisy. The people on our other side were more elderly and the woman asked if it was always so noisy. Mary said it was most likely due to the training, with many people talking and explaining things. It reminded me of a school cafeteria as far as the noise level. There were also several birthdays, and the wait staff sang to these people.

Our food came quite quickly and was excellent. My husband's burger was huge, and it was half wrapped in a serving paper. It was "looking" at him from the plate, and did resemble a smiley face from the side. I tried a bite and it was delicious - comparable to a Fuddrucker's burger, maybe better. My chicken and fettucine alfredo was delicious. The chicken was the whitest white meat I've ever seen. It was seared to perfection. Mary was excellent about refilling our drinks, and when we were totally stuffed she came around and offered us a complimentary root beer float for dessert. We declined, not wanting anyone to have to roll us out the door!

All in all, it was a great experience. Once the furor dies down, we'll definitely return with our kids. I looked online and the kids' menu looks great - many wonderful choices.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:31 AM

44 posts, read 127,724 times
Unfortunately, "someone" wised up and they gated off the back entrance to MM. I had my sig other up in the complex on Sat showing him around and when we went to go out - poof!!!!- there was the gate! Darn it! It was soooo convenient, but like I said earlier, I do know the folks who lived back there were screaming about the traffic (whining about the traffic??). Sorry, but I have no sympathy. MM is a great economic boom for the general area and they should be thanking all that traffic for going in and out because they are spending money!

Kohls opened on Sunday (Grand opening on Wed 10-1) and they were busy busy busy! Picked up after church was over and lot was packed when I left mid-afternoon. (Funny...I even saw some red shirted Target employees in there snooping around!). I did call career link today about Petsmart and they have no information on their hiring. Dicks is advertised on careerbuilder.com and has a ton of openings. BB and Beyond is done hiring according to the Hampton Inn front desk clerk. Starbucks is having a job fair (call career link in Selinsgrove for more information on that). Lone Star Steakhouse is going up right next to Kohls (where all the heavy equipment is currently parked). Target opens 10-8 - but their grand opening is 10-12. Giant is closing their Shamokin Dam store at 11 pm one night this weekend and re-opening at 12 midnight at the new store (heard this thru the grapevine from girl I work with - her son works there....don't know how true it it).

Another traffic accident (I heard when I was working yesterday) at the lights (the 2nd set of lights). People are just not watching what they are doing.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM

The accident yesterday was at the lights by the Giant gas pumps. To me, coming from Selinsgrove, that's the first set of lights. The main light is on a street called Marketplace something and goes up to Starbucks and Red Robin (across from Ulrich's Farm Market). The Giant gas pumps street is called something else, but I can't remember what (across from Bailey's Market). I'm thinking it's a girls' name, like Nina or something??

LONE STAR STEAKHOUSE!! Is that for sure? I had heard a rumor of a Logan's Roadhouse, but Lone Star is even better!! What great steak they have. Can't wait - sure hope it's not just a rumor.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:14 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,955 times
That's a bummer to hear about the back entrance being gated closed. I hope that further down the line it's somehow opened for folks to use. Also a bummer to hear about the accidents. I hate driving 11 & 15 anyways but will now be even more careful when I take that route. I'll probably go check out the open stores on Thursday. Will probably pick up a few Cd's at Best Buy. Probably making one of my last visits to Wal Mart today as I'll mostly likely be going to Target I'm so happy with those two stores now being in our area!

Don't know much about Lone Star steakhouse but not much of a steak person. I'll give it a try though and it can't be worse than Hoss's which I don't like for some reason. I hope the increased business could maybe lead to a Red Lobster finally coming in some day (I can dream!).

This is such a wonderful thing on the whole for our community and can't believe the time has flown by since we first heard rumors of the marketplace happening! WooHoo!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M AND M MORE THAN WELCOME View Post
Unfortunately, "someone" wised up and they gated off the back entrance to MM. I had my sig other up in the complex on Sat showing him around and when we went to go out - poof!!!!- there was the gate! Darn it! It was soooo convenient, but like I said earlier, I do know the folks who lived back there were screaming about the traffic (whining about the traffic??). Sorry, but I have no sympathy. MM is a great economic boom for the general area and they should be thanking all that traffic for going in and out because they are spending money!
Apparently, one of the township supervisors lives back there.

Anyway, I don't see how they can stop it if the MM folks own the road. As far as I'm concerned they are obstructing commerce. I know several people have already told me they will not go unless there is a back way because they are afraid of the traffic on on 11/15.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
LONE STAR STEAKHOUSE!! Is that for sure? I had heard a rumor of a Logan's Roadhouse, but Lone Star is even better!! What great steak they have. Can't wait - sure hope it's not just a rumor.
We've had four Steakhouse failures on the strip. Big Wrangler, The Golden Corral, The Bonanza, and Down Under(name?)

I hate to say this, but after living in this area all my life, I don't expect Red Robin to make it or another Steakhouse. We've eaten at Red Robin in Harrisburg several times and I think it's great, but very few locals will fork out that much dough for a hamburger. It may do well until the curiosity subsides.

I can't see how all the businesses on the strip will survive. It's over-saturated now. Rex only lasted 3 years and Pep Boys even fewer.

I hope I'm wrong but I call it the way I see it.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,985 times
I just visited this new shopping complex and wow, it is large, expecially for that region! Reminds me a lot of the shopping complex on Oxford Valley Road across from the mall in Bucks County, if any of you have been down there.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM

44 posts, read 127,724 times
oops! My bad...I meant Logan Steakhouse...not Lone Star. ( I had Texas Roundhouse on the my brain altho I don't know why!!!). I am not much of a steak eater either (vegetarian), however, I do enjoy Hoss' salad bar, etc. I am anxious and plan on trying RR tomorrow evening - IF I can get my s/o to go along - he is not crazy about RR and also thinks they are overpriced for a burger joint.

I think that # 1. If people write to the Monroe Township supervisors and request them to open up the back gate, they pressure may work. Also, PREUIT owns the MM, and they have a web site so if you email them and ask them to place pressure on the whomever to open up the back gate, perhaps that will work. I liked the back gate also as I live in Shamokin Dam and literally could get there WITHOUT going on the highway at all! # 2 If you email Red Lobster perhaps they will think about coming along for the ride too (but they always bring an Olive Garden with them....I guess they are all owned by the same parent company - kinda like Walmart owns Lowes and Aldis and they are always within a mile or 2 of each other).

I see where RR donate money to Hummels Wharf fire company, however, I do know that Shamokin Dam fire company responds to the majority of the accidents on the highway - so why the $$ was donated to HW FD is beyond me. They should have donated it equally.

Target opens 10-8 with a grand opening on 10-12. I asked the Giant guy yesterday about Giant because I heard a rumor Giant was having a HUGE sale to get rid of everything on their shelves so they did not have to return to the vendor or move it - unfortunately it was just that - a rumor. They are having a 10 for $10 sale tho - especially on frozen meals (Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, WW, etc.) Target also has a pretty large frozen food section and actually a pretty nice grocery section in this store on MM. (Trust me on this one.....

I have to disagree with the poster - but do appreciate their response - in these tough economic times I think people in this area will be happy that there is finally something OTHER than Walmart and Hoss to choose from - both will suffer in the beginning but when the newness wears off, I am certain everyone will come out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania