U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,838,688 times

Advertisements

The new Giant is pretty huge. I like that they now have video screens where you can order things at the deli and they will announce when your order is ready. I'll be using that every time I want lunch meat! They had some good deals going and got 2 large dozens of eggs for a dollar.

I voted for Red Lobster, Joe's Crab Shack, and IHop on the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 01:06 PM

44 posts, read 79,417 times
I was born and raised in this area. NOT a college graduate but worked my ass off in the past 24 years and my salary and benefits package is around $96K based on my last statement. Yep...my acutally salary is rather generous and my benefits make up the rest. I do NOT consider my wealthy but I can ALSO afford to eat at Red Robin, or any other restaurant in the area for that matter.

If there is an economic crisis happening let me tell you this - I work part time at one of the MM upper end stores. I have watched people in the past week - and I am going to stereo type here - that for all intents and purposes really appeared like they could not afford it - pile and I do mean, PILE "stuff" in their carts. I have no clue how they paid, and really could care less. I don't do credit to an extreme with only 1 card and less than $2K balance. But that is my choice.

I know I am not the norm, but why should I have to suffer and shop at Walmart when I can have the choice and shop at Target or Kohls or BB and Beyond, etc. I disagree strongly. These stores will THRIVE - and so will Walmart, etc. Each store will maintain it's own clientele (sp??) - much like the local eating places do. Rarely do you see a "Tedd's Landing crowd" munching down burgers at Red Robin, but Tedd's has been there since I was a little girl (and I am 50! - which we all know is the new 30 right?)

As for Value City - that is old news - Burlington Coat factory has bought VC out and most likely will open up there. If not, no great loss. Sooner or later it will be imploded and a bigger parking lot will be put there. OR hummmmm......ever hear about about a little place called SAMS CLUB?

Last edited by M AND M MORE THAN WELCOME; 10-09-2008 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Also...the new Giant is HUMUGOUS. I was in there last night to pick up script and was SOOOOOOOO PLEASED! I cannot wait to go grocery shopping! My normal bill is around $200 for 2 weeks (no meat either!) so I can hardly wait to see what this next one will be!!!!!
I love it and I feel like I am FINALLY living somewhere other than the middle of a cornfield!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 PM

CUT AND PASTED FROM THE SHAMOKIN PAPER. THIS PRETTY MUCH SUMS IT UP.

"Target’s grand opening will be on Oct. 12, In November, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Sally Beauty Supply and Starbucks are scheduled to open; and in December, Susquehanna Bank will open its doors.

Phase II of the Monroe Marketplace will add approximately 200,000 square feet of retail space to include Staples and Michael’s, set to open in February 2009; Famous Footwear and Dress Barn, set to open in March 2009, and more retailers. In total, the center will have 124 acres of shopping, dining and parking, with more than 600,000 square feet of retail space.

PREIT, founded in 1960 and headquartered in Philadelphia, has 55 retail properties, including 38 shopping malls, 14 strip and power centers and three properties under development. Among its shopping malls is the Susquehanna Valley Mall, just a mile south of Monroe Marketplace.

Right on Target

Despite its grand opening scheduled for Oct. 12, Target had a soft opening on Tuesday evening. Mancino’s, of Selinsgrove, provided food; Elsie and Richard Paradoe, of Lewisburg, provided balloon animals; and Starbucks gave out free samples.

“There isn’t anything you can’t find,” said Norma Jean, of Shamokin, Wednesday afternoon, after shopping in the Hummels Wharf location for the first time.

She and her friend, Roxie Tobias, also of Shamokin, traveled the 20 miles from their hometoTarget’s grand opening will be on Oct. 12, In November, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Sally Beauty Supply and Starbucks are scheduled to open; and in December, Susquehanna Bank will open its doors."

Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 AM

55 posts, read 119,501 times
Yes that would be a great location for Sam's Club. I happen to know many people that waste the gas to get the deals at Sam's Club in Williamsport. Have you actually heard about this somewhere?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 AM

1,513 posts, read 4,563,935 times
There were rumors (now proven wrong) that a Super Wal-Mart would go into Monroe Marketplace and the current Wal-Mart would be converted to a Sam's Club. How I wish that had been true. We go to Sam's Club at least once a month. With the closest choices being Muncy, Harrisburg and State College, this area would definitely support a Sam's Club (or BJ's or Costco). Hopefully those who make those decisions will realize this also. Even the old Wal-Mart in Lewisburg would have been an ideal Sam's Club, but Weis' bought that property.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM

I gained a part time job at one of the new stores for extra income and not going to say who they are but have been very underwhelmed with their disorganization, rudeness, and unprofessionalism up to this point. Do many store chains like the ones in MM treat people in this manner? Maybe I need to re-evaluate and go back to my old line of work full time. I'll give them a chance at this point but it's a shame the image they have set through their behaviors they may chase away a strong worker who would be a strong asset to their company.

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 10-10-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 07:55 AM

390 posts, read 1,065,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
I gained a part time job at one of the new stores for extra income and not going to say who they are but have been very underwhelmed with their disorganization, rudeness, and unprofessionalism up to this point. Do many store chains like the ones in MM treat people in this manner? Maybe I need to re-evaluate and go back to my old line of work full time. I'll give them a chance at this point but it's a shame the image they have set through their behaviors they may chase away a strong worker who would be a strong asset to their company.
It's currently an employer's market and they know it. They have the advantage because of the current economic conditions. They will exploit their position because they know almost anyone can be replaced immediately since many people people either need a job or even a part time job to supplement their incomes. This country is going backwards as far as employer-employee relations. I imagine they have hundreds more applicants to choose from. Best of luck to you.

I'd like to get a Wegman's and Costco.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
It's currently an employer's market and they know it. They have the advantage because of the current economic conditions. They will exploit their position because they know almost anyone can be replaced immediately since many people people either need a job or even a part time job to supplement their incomes. This country is going backwards as far as employer-employee relations. I imagine they have hundreds more applicants to choose from. Best of luck to you.

I'd like to get a Wegman's and Costco.
Makes sense but it's really disappointing that companies operate with this thinking. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it is disheartening at times. I'd love see a Wegman's come in. I've heard a ton about Costcos but don't know much about them. Everybody seems to speak positively about them.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post

Have to agree and could go on and on about my 2 experiences with 2 major stores in MM - false promises, inept and downright unprofessional, rude, biased managers and supervisors, store employees who I swear they pick up at the NYC bus station, but I won't. I will, however, hurt them where it counts - in their cash register. It is back to Walmart I go......I encouarge everyone out there to do the same. MM so far, for me, has been a huge disappointment. (xept for Giant - I love that Giant!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania