Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM

44 posts, read 127,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
That's pretty rude to attack somebody on these forums because of grammar mistakes instead of debating something pertaining to a discussion (plus your above sentence isn't structured well if we are going to get into these silly type of things ). You just dig yourself further into a hole of looking like a snob who looks down on others because of 'your status'. Honestly, take it somewhere else. Let's get back on topic please.
...and who died and left you boss? Or for that matter, the social decision maker? BTW, I love these "silly things" - as my graduate work will attest to. Oh...I get it....You ACTUALLY voted for Obama bin Laden.....and speaking of digging holes, poor George Wallace is rollin in his grave....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 PM

416 posts, read 711,377 times
Red Robin = free refills of steak fries = win.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,911,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M AND M MORE THAN WELCOME View Post
...and who died and left you boss? Or for that matter, the social decision maker? BTW, I love these "silly things" - as my graduate work will attest to. Oh...I get it....You ACTUALLY voted for Obama bin Laden.....and speaking of digging holes, poor George Wallace is rollin in his grave....
I was pointing out you were being rude by attacking somebody for grammar mistakes (instead of focusing on the discussion) which was pretty weak. Bringing up your social status again by mentioning your education? Shocker. Honestly your posts and the content speaks volumes. Let's take this to PM's if you want to further discuss this lovely conversation and keep it off the boards.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM

To get things semi back on topic I was thinking about all of the open areas on the strip in Shamokin Dam/Hummels Wharf. I tried to think of everything but probably missing a few:

--Pizza/Italian place besides Sheetz that was taken down and now is an open lot with mini sheds (not sure what they are called and thinking it's mini storage structures of some sort)
--computer shop/other things by The Country Hearth (old Comfort Inn)
--Quizno's store
--Ruby Tuesday's
--Golden Corral
--Old Giant store
--Rag Shop

That's quite a few properties that are open and many that have been dormant for some time now. I think somebody here stated that another restaurant has bought Ruby Tuesday's? Also think there was rumors of a Burlington Coat Factory either going in the soon to be closed Value City or the old Giant store location. Can't see too much coming into the area with the amount of stores opening in the Monroe Marketplace but fun to discuss what is open and any rumors around what may happen with the properties.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 AM

56 posts, read 182,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
To get things semi back on topic I was thinking about all of the open areas on the strip in Shamokin Dam/Hummels Wharf. I tried to think of everything but probably missing a few:

--Pizza/Italian place besides Sheetz that was taken down and now is an open lot with mini sheds (not sure what they are called and thinking it's mini storage structures of some sort)
--computer shop/other things by The Country Hearth (old Comfort Inn)
--Quizno's store
--Ruby Tuesday's
--Golden Corral
--Old Giant store
--Rag Shop

That's quite a few properties that are open and many that have been dormant for some time now. I think somebody here stated that another restaurant has bought Ruby Tuesday's? Also think there was rumors of a Burlington Coat Factory either going in the soon to be closed Value City or the old Giant store location. Can't see too much coming into the area with the amount of stores opening in the Monroe Marketplace but fun to discuss what is open and any rumors around what may happen with the properties.

Yes and isn't Rex still vacant? I forget.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,677,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
Thanks Dawne, it's curious to me because the companies selling these products in Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts are always sold out, and it seems odd that this company would not "make itself known" locally but I was told by the distributor they intentionally do not advertise in PA, why would that be? To keep the price up? That doesn't sound very environmentally friendly to me!!!
I asked the people in the know in Selinsgrove and they don't think the product is manufactured in Selinsgrove any more. They thought maybe at one time it was but not now.

My husband used to go into a company in Muncy that made Grandma's cookies. They had packages of smaller soft chocolate chip cookies (like chewy Chips Ahoy) but you could NOT buy them locally. You could only get the packages with two large cookies locally. Talk about not fair!! Those little cookies were good (we got some one time when a case fell off a pallet and smashed - then the employees got them and someone gave a pack to my husband).

Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 AM

I've been off for a while and am catching up. Yes, Rex is still vacant and Denise Skotedis's place (the interior designer) is now vacant.

The rumor is that Ruby Tuesday was bought by Lone Star Steakhouse. The empty lot by Sheetz as supposed to be a Charlie Brown's but that fell through.

It'll be tough to get restaurants because there are NO liquor licenses available in Snyder County and most big restaurants have a bar. There are economic development liquor license, but the PLCB only does one a year, they cost $25,000 and are not transferrable. If the business closes, the license just goes away. This is what Irene's in Selinsgrove had, which incidentally should be closed by now.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
Yes and isn't Rex still vacant? I forget.
Yep, totally forgot about Rex's! Another empty place along with the interior designer place Dawne mentioned too. Wow, didn't realize how many dormant properties there are down the strip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
It'll be tough to get restaurants because there are NO liquor licenses available in Snyder County and most big restaurants have a bar. There are economic development liquor license, but the PLCB only does one a year, they cost $25,000 and are not transferrable. If the business closes, the license just goes away. This is what Irene's in Selinsgrove had, which incidentally should be closed by now.
That stinks as I thought when a business goes down their liquor license is up for grabs. It's a shame that the area is holding down some businesses coming in because of something like that. Is it a competition issue or just not wanting more drinking establishments? PA has some wacky alcohol laws

Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 AM

56 posts, read 182,590 times
Quote:
I remember when an olive garden I know of (not near here) first opened up, they were BYOB for about 2 years. I can remember people bring their own fancy bottled wines to dine with.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Each county has a limited number of liquor licenses and when they're taken there are no more. When a business does go under or sell out the liquor licenses are up for grabs and often can sell for as much as $100,000. I think I remember learning that there were actually too many licenses in Snyder County at one point, so as some businesses closed those licenses were not allowed to be sold. I'm not sure how that works - hardly seems fair to the owner to not be able to sell it and recoup some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania