U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 25,525 times
Default York College - Safe??

I have been accepted by York College but have read that it is located in a unsafe, crime-ridden area of the city. Can someone familiar with the area give me some advice here? Is this a good place to spend four years - is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 02:02 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,284,919 times
One of my brothers went to school there. The area where the campus is located has a surprisingly rural feel (even though it is in the city of York); in fact I got the impression from being on the campus a few times that there aren't many places to walk in close walking distance. I'm pretty sure the campus itself is safe, as are the areas in the immediate vicinity of the campus. However, one of the worst parts of the city of York isn't too far north and east of the campus.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 25,525 times
Thanks for the input. Did your brother like going to school there? I've read mixed reviews.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:46 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,789,296 times
Great school, but you do have to be careful about walking north from campus. South and west of the campus are some million dollar homes and an area of lovely older homes and very safe neighborhoods. You are also within walking distance of the major hospital. There are many safe areas for shopping, dining and entertainment, just not real close to campus. The students who live off-campus, in housing run by sometimes not too attentive landlords (absentee or slumlords), can also be an attractive nuisance to the not so positive elements from the city. They will come into the area and prey on the students who are careless enough to leave doors unlocked, walk alone at night etc. The campus itself is very safe, quite a number of the students will leave on weekends.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM

1,834 posts, read 3,710,720 times
I graduated from York in 2006. I never had a problem with crime. I have heard it has gotten more expensive over the last couple of years because of all the new facilities.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 AM

16 posts, read 51,298 times
York College as any campus is a breeding ground for crime plainly due to the amount of students and faculty. Of course there are problems with crime in the city but its a good location. Its away from the city enough for safety of sorts but close enough to things for work and shopping. There are a lot of rentals in nice areas of the city geared toward college goers of course the more expensive ones are closer but im sure you will have no problem there. Just be safe and smart about your personal items in your vehicle since there recently have been GPS and car electronic theft lately

Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 12,567 times
My wife and I own and rent out housing for the York College students for over 15 yrs. The off campus housing is confined to certain city blocks near the college. This area is patrolled by College secruity and York city police. Once outside this area the risk of crime can increase. This area is not defined in any way except by knowing the area.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-12-2009 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 05-13-2009, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 12,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayne Riddle View Post
My wife and I own and rent out housing for the York College students for over 15 yrs. The off campus housing is confined to certain city blocks near the college. This area is patrolled by College secruity and York city police. Once outside this area the risk of crime can increase. This area is not defined in any way except by knowing the area.

Hey i was wondering if you rent to any college students who attend hacc, i am looking for a place to rent.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 PM

11 posts, read 30,038 times
I'm currently a senior at York College. It has its own Dept of Campus Safety and York City PD and Spring Garden PD are both nearby.

Jackson street, which is off campus, is the source of many issues. There are constantly cars being broken into, out of control parties (lots of fights with LE, propane tanks set on fire, multiple arrests..you get the idea), robberies, burglaries, ect.

The walk from main campus to west campus is not recommended at night. Take the shuttle.

On campus is generally okay, just have to be careful where you walk at night and keep alert. If you're going to be living in a dorm you need to lock your door, lock your window...lots of kids leave the rooms open or unlocked while they run to the bathroom and end up with things stolen. If you ride a bike secure it, don't leave your backpack unattended.

However if the SHTF the college would be screwed. The Dept. of Campus Safety does not carry guns and guns are not permitted on campus even if you have a CCW or are an off-duty LEO (NOTE: There are no signs posted, it is only in the student handbook). In short only on-duty LEOs can carry. Here are the crime stats if you're interested York College of Pennsylvania, but that is only on campus and what is reported...

Use common sense (no iPod in ears/cell phone/inattention while walking, lock your dorm room/car, no valuables in sight, leaving things unattended) and be aware of your surroundings and you shouldn't have any issues.

I like the college overall (my biggest complaint is the no-carry on campus), a number of my profs actually have experience in what they are teaching. The commuter parking is terrible...what with lack of spaces, a collapsing parking garage, and the creek crossing being closed with no notification. Don't know what your major is, but there are certain profs that you want to avoid at all costs. Any other questions just ask.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,166,705 times
Excellent points from Cowgirl ^^

I remember when I went there that creek posed some major problems, especially in winter. I believe there is an ordinance in place that prevents a bridge from being built, but I could be mistaken. It would make sense in the realm of safety, though.

As for the campus layout, it is unique. On the West and South borders, you have stately homes, quiet streets and the beautiful reservoir hill area. Walk the the Northeast border, you still have some nice homes along Springettsbury, but the transition into a run-down, crime ridden neighborhood becomes almost immediate.

The Jackson St area off campus and nearby streets such as Manor, Cottage Pl and others have been a source of controversy regarding the loud parties and associated behavior for years. Frankly, as long as the college is present it won't change. Wherever you have a college or university, you are going to have students who like to party, period.

Unless YCP becomes a full-fledged bible college that madates one becomes a teetotler, the party will continue. Trust me..I went to my fair share of keg parties and Murph knew me on a first name basis, lol.

Don't let the stats or what you read scare you. Granted, there is crime in the area and there is no denial in that. When you have a college campus in or that sits on the edge of an urban area, you will have problems. However, if you use common sense and know which areas to avoid, you will be safe. If you will be out partying, be sure to at least go with a group, especially if you are walking. The old saying that there is safety in numbers rings true in this regard.

I met some of my best friends there and my soon-to-be wife . While my college life had it's ups and downs, I have no regrets. I had some of the best times of my life there. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania