Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:50 PM

538 posts, read 659,021 times

Advertisements

In my opinion it's because the majority of outstate PA is envious of the success of the Delaware Valley. They wish they could have a booming economy like the 5 counties. Outstate (except Allegheny county) is everything that the 5 county region is not (for worse)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 01:24 PM

34 posts, read 39,999 times
[quote=Lenses & Lights.;48521932]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeoftheworld View Post

Kensington....isn't a part of the Badlands? That's a total new one on me. lol Anyway, enjoy the city whenever you move there and wherever you move to.
Haha I think the part farther North is technically in the boundaries of the badlands, but as a whole it leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you

Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
In my opinion it's because the majority of outstate PA is envious of the success of the Delaware Valley. They wish they could have a booming economy like the 5 counties. Outstate (except Allegheny county) is everything that the 5 county region is not (for worse)
That'd make sense, because the economy in this region is terrible.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:18 PM

35 posts, read 28,601 times
Quote:
So I'm in high school in a pretty rural part of PA (west), like most of the students live in the country. And they, for some reason, mostly hate Philadelphia. (Obviously not everyone has the same opinion; some don't care one way or the other, some just don't like cities, some actually want to live in one.)

When I'm older I plan to move to Philadelphia but for some reason, 95% of the people I've told that to absolutely hate that city. They say how dirty/crime filled it is and how the people are rude there, but I've been there before and it isn't that dirty compared to other cities I've been in, and I haven't run into any outright rude people there. As for crime, it's a city....what do you expect.

By the way, none of these kids (or adults for that matter) have been there. However, they'll say Pittsburgh is a nice place that's not dirty at all and doesn't have much crime....there are bad neighborhoods there too, somehow none of these people have caught on that Philly is way bigger in both population and size.

My teachers mostly think that it's a terrible place with terrible people; one told me I wouldn't do well there because I'm just a "small town girl". Even though I've been to many cities, walked alone in them, and most of my family has lived in cities and can help me with living in one.

What's with all the hate for Philly, and do a lot of people assume/think that around here? I just find it shocking that people can make those kind of assumptions without ever having even been in the city.

I have no issue with Philadelphia the city. The problem with Philadelphia is the people who make up the city.

1. Every city has rude horrible people, but out of all of my travels internationally as well as within the United States Philadelphia has the most collection of rude hostile people in one place.

Common courtesy is all but gone around Philadelphia and being kind and polite in Philadelphia will only get you taken advantage of or hurt since very few people reciprocate it. And if a person isn't outright rude, the majority of the rest of the population seems unhappy, depressed, grumpy, insular, or has snarky attitudes​. You speak to people to say hi or try to make small talk and people only stare back with no response or expression.

Dispite how great people from Philly say their city is I find that very few people are genuinely happy here, and it's everyone and every race from the poor all the way to people who live in good neighborhoods and have money. Most of the people I'm friends with in Philadelphia are former military, foreginers, or people who were born and raised in other states like NYC. In fact, just recently I met a young beautiful girl from New York who moved here for a job and she asked me why are Philly people so rude and closed off. I had to explain things to her.

2. Philadelphia has a huge drug problem. Heroin and other drugs have taken over the city. In Philadelphia most of the manufacturing jobs are gone so a large number of young people are either selling drugs or using them.

3. Philadelphia drivers are the worse. You drive too slow, you're lost, or you inconvenience a driver behind you in anyway the horns start blowing and they're cussing out the window and flipping you the bird. Seems like every other week in the news there is either a bad accident or a cowardly hit and run.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance001 View Post
I have no issue with Philadelphia the city. The problem with Philadelphia is the people who make up the city.

1. Every city has rude horrible people, but out of all of my travels internationally as well as within the United States Philadelphia has the most collection of rude hostile people in one place.

Common courtesy is all but gone around Philadelphia and being kind and polite in Philadelphia will only get you taken advantage of or hurt since very few people reciprocate it. And if a person isn't outright rude, the majority of the rest of the population seems unhappy, depressed, grumpy, insular, or has snarky attitudes​. You speak to people to say hi or try to make small talk and people only stare back with no response or expression.

Dispite how great people from Philly say their city is I find that very few people are genuinely happy here, and it's everyone and every race from the poor all the way to people who live in good neighborhoods and have money. Most of the people I'm friends with in Philadelphia are former military, foreginers, or people who were born and raised in other states like NYC. In fact, just recently I met a young beautiful girl from New York who moved here for a job and she asked me why are Philly people so rude and closed off. I had to explain things to her.

2. Philadelphia has a huge drug problem. Heroin and other drugs have taken over the city. In Philadelphia most of the manufacturing jobs are gone so a large number of young people are either selling drugs or using them.

3. Philadelphia drivers are the worse. You drive too slow, you're lost, or you inconvenience a driver behind you in anyway the horns start blowing and they're cussing out the window and flipping you the bird. Seems like every other week in the news there is either a bad accident or a cowardly hit and run.
That's crazy how two different people can have two very different experiences visiting. Whenever I've went (though I've only been there a few times, which is quite different from living there), people didn't seem unhappy or depressed. Maybe because I was mainly in Center City and surrounding areas, although then you said even people in nice neighborhoods feel that way. I've never picked up on that vibe from anyone really, but I also didn't talk to a lot of people.

How do you know very few people are actually happy, besides the one person you meant from NYC? Did you talk with them?

I've heard of their drug issue, but it's also in other places in the region (even mine) but within the city limits I thought it was mainly in Kensington and areas like that.

With people's attitudes, do you mean if you randomly say hi to someone/talk with them they look at you like that? Or even friends? Because if someone randomly said hi to me or have a small conversation I'd probably be weirded out, since I don't know them.

I'm not saying that what you've said isn't true, as I haven't had a ton of opportunities to really see how it is there in multiple aspects. I'm just asking because as I said, I plan to live there, so although it annoys me when people say bad things I'd like to know how it is.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:24 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
[quote=Lenses & Lights.;48521932]
Quote:

Kensington....isn't a part of the Badlands? That's a total new one on me. lol Anyway, enjoy the city whenever you move there and wherever you move to.
West Kensington is a part of the Badlands. The Badlands are everything from Girard to the South, to the CSX/Amtrak tracks to the north. Front Street to the east to the SEPTA Rail tracks in the west. So West Kensington is a part of the Badlands. Olde Kensington is also technically a part of the Badlands, but is rapidly gentrifying. Kensington/East Kensington are not a part of the Badlands and are also Gentrifying.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:26 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
That'd make sense, because the economy in this region is terrible.
Job growth in the Philadelphia are the past two years had been faster than NYC. Job growth in Philly was faster than San Francisco last year.... if that's not a good economy, what is? The past 10 years, the economy hasn't been super fast growth in Philadelphia, but certainly more/faster than anywhere else in the state.

The Philadelphia region is also one of the only parts of the state growing in population.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
[quote=RightonWalnut;48529522]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post

West Kensington is a part of the Badlands. The Badlands are everything from Girard to the South, to the CSX/Amtrak tracks to the north. Front Street to the east to the SEPTA Rail tracks in the west. So West Kensington is a part of the Badlands. Olde Kensington is also technically a part of the Badlands, but is rapidly gentrifying. Kensington/East Kensington are not a part of the Badlands and are also Gentrifying.
Yes, I've known the area well since the 80's when they was calling it the Danger Zone. A local rap crew named their album that. I even interviewed them recently in playground where they first met and even hit the locations that they shot their album cover.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Job growth in the Philadelphia are the past two years had been faster than NYC. Job growth in Philly was faster than San Francisco last year.... if that's not a good economy, what is? The past 10 years, the economy hasn't been super fast growth in Philadelphia, but certainly more/faster than anywhere else in the state.

The Philadelphia region is also one of the only parts of the state growing in population.

Seems like its in a lot better shape than many other regions. Especially here, lol.
Weird, I've always heard of NYC as the place where all the jobs are, apparently the Philly area has more. Interesting.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:14 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
[quote=edgeoftheworld;48526180]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post

Haha I think the part farther North is technically in the boundaries of the badlands, but as a whole it leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you
Someone else already filled you in, but I'm going to beg to differ with him on one small point below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance001 View Post

Quote:
That's crazy how two different people can have two very different experiences visiting. Whenever I've went (though I've only been there a few times, which is quite different from living there), people didn't seem unhappy or depressed. Maybe because I was mainly in Center City and surrounding areas, although then you said even people in nice neighborhoods feel that way. I've never picked up on that vibe from anyone really, but I also didn't talk to a lot of people.

How do you know very few people are actually happy, besides the one person you meant from NYC? Did you talk with them?

I've heard of their drug issue, but it's also in other places in the region (even mine) but within the city limits I thought it was mainly in Kensington and areas like that.

With people's attitudes, do you mean if you randomly say hi to someone/talk with them they look at you like that? Or even friends? Because if someone randomly said hi to me or have a small conversation I'd probably be weirded out, since I don't know them.

I'm not saying that what you've said isn't true, as I haven't had a ton of opportunities to really see how it is there in multiple aspects. I'm just asking because as I said, I plan to live there, so although it annoys me when people say bad things I'd like to know how it is.
Yes, it is crazy how two people can have very different experiences visiting the same place, but this is a common phenomenon. Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon," in which several different witnesses to the same event give dramatically different explanations of it, is one of the best cinematic explorations of this subject ever.

A Negadelphian dragged me here kicking and screaming in 1983 after he concluded that I was insufficiently interested in his career for him to come up to live with me in Boston. The place grew on me. He was already Used To It, but I'll wager that were I to press him now, even he would concede that it's different and better than the place he moved me to. But only grudgingly; I know that within the next few years, he plans to join his sister and brother-in-law at a property they own in Haddonfield.

The readers of a national travel magazine - I think it was Condé Nast Traveler - rated Philadelphians the most helpful residents of all in a survey a couple of years back. Another travel magazine sent writers into several cities and had them do things like leave wallets in train stations and other similar traveler mishaps, and the Philadelphians were most likely to reconnect them with their lost possessions. I can attest to this admirable tendency twice now: once when someone riding the Route 18 bus returned my missing passcase to my home (it had my driver's license in it) one Saturday morning, and a second time when I got a wallet with my (canceled) driver's license in it back in the mail (I had canceled all my cards and gotten a replacement driver's license some days before it went AWOL in connection with a little personal drama).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post

I'd carve South (or Old) Kensington out of "the Badlands" now. Its renewal is sufficiently far along that the drug bazaar that gave the area its name and reputation has pretty much vanished, or decamped for elsewhere.

Kensington proper (central intersection: Kensington and Allegheny avenues) hasn't really started gentrifying, while East Kensington is going gangbusters. (The railroad viaduct leading to the old Reading coal pier separates East Kensington from Kensington, which seems strange until you consider that the part of Kensington west of Front Street and north of Berks is known as West Kensington.)

Actually, the drug corner I recall hearing the most about in the heyday of the Badlands, 8th and Butler, isn't even in Kensington; it's in North Philly, on the edge of Hunting Park.

Quote:
Seems like its in a lot better shape than many other regions. Especially here, lol.
Weird, I've always heard of NYC as the place where all the jobs are, apparently the Philly area has more. Interesting.
Actually, what you're witnessing is another example of Philadelphia arriving late to the party.

By 2015, all of the other East Coast cities had regained all the jobs they had lost since 1970, and most of them (not sure about Baltimore) had shot past their 1970 employment levels.

Philadelphia's job count in 2015 remained 25 percent below its 1970 level.

(These figures are for the core city only, not for the metropolitan area, in each case.)

We're now playing catch-up at last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania