Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 01:46 AM

16,563 posts, read 15,119,971 times

Advertisements

It's all over the news but not sure how much is true and how much is hype. Any body knows where it is? Why did we need a new mine instead of digging in Centralia and may be put out the fire too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 AM

7,936 posts, read 7,285,378 times
If it's "all over the news" then why do you not know where it is?

Do you know that there are different types of coal? The coal under Centralia is anthracite or hard coal. The new mine in western PA (spoiler!) is bituminous or soft coal.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:55 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,788,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Why did we need a new mine instead of digging in Centralia and may be put out the fire too?
AFAIK there is still a handful of people that live there. Once they are out that will probably occur in the future. That is supposed to be a very rich vein and with no living in the area it becomes a very viable area to mine.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Do you know that there are different types of coal? The coal under Centralia is anthracite or hard coal. The new mine in western PA (spoiler!) is bituminous or soft coal.
Just to add the coal they are mining there is going to be used for steel making, it's not being mined for thermal energy.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 AM

16,563 posts, read 15,119,971 times
Quote:
If it's "all over the news" then why do you not know where it is?
Good question. Ask the reporters sitting in Washington and LA who write about this stuff who have no idea what they are talking about. I am wondering about the claim that it is a "new" mine? So it was farmland just last month and got turned into a mine? Do you have to get permits to open a coal mine? That must be a nightmare.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:40 PM

7,936 posts, read 7,285,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Good question. Ask the reporters sitting in Washington and LA who write about this stuff who have no idea what they are talking about. I am wondering about the claim that it is a "new" mine? So it was farmland just last month and got turned into a mine? Do you have to get permits to open a coal mine? That must be a nightmare.

Here's a link to a WaPo article about it. Apparently the decision to open the mine was made in August 2016, well ahead of the Presidential election.

A combination of a $3 million PA state grant from the Democratic Wolf administration and the easing of regulations from the Republican Trump administration made it easier to open and run the mine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.1d8ce0075fdd

Old 06-22-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to a WaPo article about it. Apparently the decision to open the mine was made in August 2016, well ahead of the Presidential election.
The process for this would have started well before that. What effect Trump had on this is debatable. The grant is only small portion of the funding and the timing of the private funding would be what you need to look at to determine what effect his election had. Projects like this are often started and never materialize.

Trump's policies will certainly not be any magic bullet for the industry but the bleeding will come to an end. I would expect a slight rebound and specific coal industries like this mine and the anthracite industry should do quite well.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,867,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The process for this would have started well before that. What effect Trump had on this is debatable. The grant is only small portion of the funding and the timing of the private funding would be what you need to look at to determine what effect his election had. Projects like this are often started and never materialize.

Trump's policies will certainly not be any magic bullet for the industry but the bleeding will come to an end. I would expect a slight rebound and specific coal industries like this mine and the anthracite industry should do quite well.
Well, Trump is claiming all of the credit, so that's much more important than what he actually did.

Now the coal magnate, Robert Murray (please don't sue me, Mr. Murray) is is suing John Oliver. Coal needs to go away (no offense thecoalman, same thing happened to the VCR).

Old 06-23-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Coal needs to go away (no offense thecoalman, same thing happened to the VCR).
Digital media was improvement over the VCR, natural gas produces heat... nuclear fission produces heat... coal produces heat...

First and foremost since they have been pared down the current fleet of coal power plants are relatively new. Many of them will be producing electric for the next 50 or 60 years.

Gas is the only thing that is going to replace coal and BTU for BTU gas has been about double the cost of coal since 2008 when the gas boom began. It's also a much more volatile market and it's going to be interesting to see if it can meet the historical stability of the coal market.

That aside gas has some advantages over coal, newer plants are much more efficient than coal and they are more adept at meeting the needs of swings in the production from renewable energy.

Two key things will need to occur for the coal market to improve.

• They are developing the same tech used in new gas plants for coal plants. If that is achieved new coal plants will instantly be less costly than gas by a very wide margin.
  • The industry needs resolution of the CO2 issue either legislatively or through technology. https://energy.gov/articles/scientis...ed-co2-ethanol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania