Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 AM

13,959 posts, read 8,825,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This is what I meant. It wasnt supposed to be a big deal, but it was odd they said Montgomery, Chester and left out Bucks and Delaware.
The only thing is, a "Southeast Pennsylvania" forum without Philadelphia is like a jelly donut without the jelly filling.

You do have in that list (along with Bucks and Delaware counties) the entire greater Southeast save for its most populous and heavily developed county - and also its economically dominant one.

Lancaster County, however, is something of a pivot point between Southeast and South Central Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,367,912 times
If you look at the other city forums, you'll see that they all have a city nucleus. The Lehigh Valley forum consists of the counties in and around Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton. I think it's a pretty good grouping as that what our news outlets cover, our schools play each other and people often live and work in those areas. Most people in our area do not work in the Philadelphia sub-forum area - it's a clunky commute and there is no reliable public transportation there. Philadelphia news outlets only cover the Lehigh valley when we have a weather event or a murder. Many people have a NYC or Philadelphia connection, but day to day life is around the nearby area.

I agree that Erie, including the area around Erie, should have their own sub-forum. I would guess that the admin's are hesitant because they never shut down a forum so if they set up a new one, they want to make sure it has enough traffic. Check out the Florida forum for a look at a state with too many sub-forums.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:50 AM

967 posts, read 1,123,011 times
It was odd to exclude Bucks and Delaware in the Philly metro. They both border the city, as does Montco. Chester is the only only one that doesn't.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:13 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
If you look at the other city forums, you'll see that they all have a city nucleus. The Lehigh Valley forum consists of the counties in and around Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton. I think it's a pretty good grouping as that what our news outlets cover, our schools play each other and people often live and work in those areas. Most people in our area do not work in the Philadelphia sub-forum area - it's a clunky commute and there is no reliable public transportation there. Philadelphia news outlets only cover the Lehigh valley when we have a weather event or a murder. Many people have a NYC or Philadelphia connection, but day to day life is around the nearby area.

I agree that Erie, including the area around Erie, should have their own sub-forum. I would guess that the admin's are hesitant because they never shut down a forum so if they set up a new one, they want to make sure it has enough traffic. Check out the Florida forum for a look at a state with too many sub-forums.
Years ago I led a huge push for a new "South Central PA" sub-forum that would encompass Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Carlisle, Gettysburg, and Chambersburg. The end result was the barely-breathing Harrisburg sub-forum because, as I was told, the Administrator did not want to add any more regional sub-forums---just cities.

I would love to have an Erie sub-forum. Maybe Lancaster, too. Both cities seem to be seeing growing traffic on here. Lancaster is very rapidly growing, and its county population has something like 550,000 people now. Erie is becoming a more popular inland beach playground for the growing upper-class in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
It was odd to exclude Bucks and Delaware in the Philly metro. They both border the city, as does Montco. Chester is the only only one that doesn't.
They aren't excluded. The Philadelphia sub-forum consists of Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware and Chester counties and Philadelphia.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:26 PM

331 posts, read 365,991 times
Why do people keep suggesting the Lehigh Valley has its own forum, we already do!

Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 AM

298 posts, read 478,874 times
Will be moving to Cashtown just outside of Gettysburg and sad that there really is no Adams county forum. Yes, I ask questions in the Harrisburg one.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:45 PM

274 posts, read 323,258 times
I too would rather have a suburban forum for those outside the city. The Philadelphia forum is very much city centric. I understand the reasoning but it seems like mostly what is included there is the Main Line. If anyone says they are moving to the area they always want close to the city, good schools, good trains. Every time it's "move to the Main Line"! I get it but I don't see much opportunity for people to talk about Bucks County there. Nor in the LV forum. We are too far from both.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
I too would rather have a suburban forum for those outside the city. The Philadelphia forum is very much city centric. I understand the reasoning but it seems like mostly what is included there is the Main Line. If anyone says they are moving to the area they always want close to the city, good schools, good trains. Every time it's "move to the Main Line"! I get it but I don't see much opportunity for people to talk about Bucks County there. Nor in the LV forum. We are too far from both.
I hear what you are saying and I often feel that way about people in Northern Bucks county, or people like me in Southern Lehigh county - we're sort of betwixt and between. I think though the answer is just to comment more often so your voice is heard. It's natural for people to recommend places they are familiar with. I've lived in Delaware, Chester and Montgomery county before moving to Lehigh county so I will often chime in on the specific places that I've lived in those counties.

Realtors, See This.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:38 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
What, exactly, are you upset about? Bucks County is recommended when it matches with prospective residents', wish lists, budgets, and commuting logistics. Adding more subforums isn't going to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania