Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,057,767 times

Advertisements

Ill have to talk to my friend whos in Woodsfield and ask what things get taxed. He told me Ohio is better than Pennsylvania and especially West Virginia. I do not want to live where theres a high tax burden as this is a waste of my money. Ok so OH has high taxes, ill just avoid that state if its true, theres plenty of good housing in PA, WV and several other states.
I have many reasons for leaving FL, please read my other threads. Yes there are more expensive states than FL, but not many. NJ, CA, HI come to mind. Theres also select cities in some states that cost more than cities in FL. Northern FL is less expensive but theres many other states id rather be that are cheaper and better(in my opinion)

I dont know if ill choose Oil city or some other location. Its too early to decide, I am only making a list of my options which I will start a thread once the list is done. Been working on it for a while. I have crossed out many states from the list as being too hot, cold, crime or expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 PM

669 posts, read 3,186,793 times
There are a lot more states more expensive then Florida, not just California and Hawaii. New England is definetly more expensive, and that's 6 states or so right there. Washington and Oregon are more expensive also. Probably many more. Florida is not nearly the most expensive state. Despite your research and the rising costs, it's comparatively cheap next to several states.

Also, the states people are flooding -- Georgia, South Carolina, etc -- will soon be second and third Floridas, with rising costs, etc. So maybe Florida will settle down since so many people are leaving. In fact, thread idea right there!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:31 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,057,767 times
Can you prove the average cost of the states you mentioned exceeds the average cost of Florida? If you are correct, this is something new I learn. Maybe you are talking northern FL which can be cheaper than some parts of the states you mentioned? I can find plenty of cities in the states you mention that are cheaper than south FL!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,779,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Also its kind of weird too. Its like me having a fixation on god forbid Lemmon, South Dakota.
You obviously have not been to the SD forums, in which case it's strange that you mention Lemmon... People over there are RAVING about the place!
I even went to their website to have a look. And it DOES seem like a great little town!
You must not like small towns. That's fine. But no need to put them down.
NAH - good luck with your decision! I believe I mentioned this, but city-data has pictures of Oil City & it IS nice!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Can you prove the average cost of the states you mentioned exceeds the average cost of Florida? If you are correct, this is something new I learn. Maybe you are talking northern FL which can be cheaper than some parts of the states you mentioned? I can find plenty of cities in the states you mention that are cheaper than south FL!
Because you seem to tend to find the abandoned, depressed cities. No offense but thats what seems to happen. Heck, I'm sure an abandoned wasteland in California is cheap too.

Many, MANY cost of living sites put Florida near the bottom. Do some research - it's easy. Look up cost of living by state or some such. Eventually, you'll discover that as a state, disregarding the high home prices right now, it's not expensive.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:34 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,279,324 times
Quote:
You obviously have not been to the SD forums, in which case it's strange that you mention Lemmon... People over there are RAVING about the place!
I even went to their website to have a look. And it DOES seem like a great little town!
You must not like small towns. That's fine. But no need to put them down.
NAH - good luck with your decision! I believe I mentioned this, but city-data has pictures of Oil City & it IS nice!
I'm like you elfyum cold when it dips below 80,I've lived in oil city if it had warmer winter temps,I'd be there.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,389,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Because you seem to tend to find the abandoned, depressed cities. No offense but thats what seems to happen. Heck, I'm sure an abandoned wasteland in California is cheap too.

Many, MANY cost of living sites put Florida near the bottom. Do some research - it's easy. Look up cost of living by state or some such. Eventually, you'll discover that as a state, disregarding the high home prices right now, it's not expensive.

I agree. I have lived in Florida and now live in Connecticut. The cost of living is much higher in Connecticut, though there are more well paying jobs here. I think what annoys everyone in Florida is that property values rose so quickly, now putting them on par with other states that have always paid such prices for a house. To me, the prices in Florida aren't terrible. Naturally there will always be select areas that are more expensive, but on a whole (even excluding northern Florida) the prices really aren't that terrible.

Now will you pay more in Stamford, CT than you will in Oil City, PA? Of course, but you get what you pay for. If an area has many amenities, a good economy and plenty of jobs for a skilled work force, you won't be seeing homes selling for $50K.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM

Yes you get what you pay for. DEFINETLY. $50k home in a nice area has not been a reality for decades.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Lets take the topic about jobs to PMs, please PM me about this. I gotta stay on topic for my thread. I was not told Ohio had a high tax burden, everyone is saying WV taxes you thru the nose and that PA has a reasonably low tax burden. I have a friend that lives in Woodsfield, OH and he pays only $400 a year in property taxes thats half of what id be paying in Oil city.

LOL low home prices offset by taxes? The same size house in south FL would cost several times more and property taxes+HOA+insurance would be many thousands a year! Possibly over $10k!
Hah, well I found some stats.

Let's see.

You like Des Moines Iowa, I think. Well, the home price there is about $110k average. That's way more then your budget and probably one the cheapest areas in the USA to boot.

Property taxes are $16.64/sq foot average. That's pretty expensive. See what I mean?

Property taxes in Oil City: 21.40/sq foot! Guess it's not so great anymore.

EVEN IN SOUTH FLORIDA, which you hate sooo much, in Miami for example, the prop taxes are $16/sq foot. So, YOU PAY MORE FOR A HOME INITIALLY, BUT TAXES ARE LOWER. BECAUSE HOMES ARE DIRT CHEAP IN OIL CITY AND DES MOINES, TAXES ARE OUTRAGEOUS. Things EQUAL OUT.

You're burned now. You don't look at the big picture. Now you will know that cheap homes may be cheap, but the taxes will be high. Accept it already. I'm not trying to be rude but you never seem to look at the big picture and I want you to realize that there are no cheap homes in areas with superlow taxes. It just wouldn't happen. It makes no sense to pay low taxes on a low priced home. The city would have to be a dump.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 PM

Furthermore, in your city of West Palm Beach prop taxes are $17/sq foot. more expensive, but Oil City is STILL more. You seem to only take broad things that people say, like "florida taxes are high", and apply them, without any background research whatsoever. This lack of care will definetly land you in a dumpy city. I do not mean to attack you, but you need to be much more informed. You take very basic, broad comments, and turn them into official "data" in your mind without thinking about doing REAL research.

When home price is lower --> taxes are higher. Higher home price usually means less taxes. Some areas are high in both ways, but you can find "higher home price --> lower taxes" easier then "low home --> low taxes".

Oh, and Oil City homes somehow appreciated 14% in the past year. You better hurry. It could become a lot more pricey than you think soon. Who knows why - The population is still declining - but the homes are going up. So, it's not some nirvana like you think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania