Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches.

What is happening in Erie that would cause an increase in population?
With the loss of 575 jobs at GE Transportation, I think you'll see a substantial decline in Erie's population. See GE to end locomotive production in Erie, cut 575 jobs - News - GoErie.com - Erie, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 PM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
With the loss of 575 jobs at GE Transportation, I think you'll see a substantial decline in Erie's population. See GE to end locomotive production in Erie, cut 575 jobs - News - GoErie.com - Erie, PA
That's what I was thinking when I made that post.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:04 PM

486 posts, read 601,842 times
Honestly city-county consolidation would be the best thing for Erie and it's suburbs. Right now Erie County has 38 municipalities, the majority located in the city of Erie, Millcreek Twp. and Harborcreek Twp.

I'm also sure that that the suburb governments do not want annexation, but that would be the region's best bet at a comeback, tbh.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:31 AM

24,407 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Berks County and Lancaster County combined have over 950,000 people. Cities like Lancaster and Reading lost population but their suburbs grew at a pretty significant rate.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
On a side note, I hope the city of Erie is able to start growing again soon. It looks like Reading will pass Erie in population by the next census. The city should consider annexation and consolidate all of Erie County like Philly did with its county back in 1854. If that happen it would become the 3rd largest city in PA, and could potentially challenge Pittsburgh for the #2 spot.
It would be very surprising if Reading passed Erie in terms of population by the next census, which is less than 2.5 years away. Especially because Reading has at least 10,000 less people than Erie currently and both Erie and Reading declined in population in their last census estimates.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches.

What is happening in Erie that would cause an increase in population?
The massive expansion of Erie Insurance and the need for highly educated workers to fill more than 1,000 highly skilled positions.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Normally I would agree that this issue could cause a substantial population decline for Erie, but some of these cuts are early retirements and I wonder how the hiring at Erie Insurance will possibly offset the population loss from GE jobs and former employees moving.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
The massive expansion of Erie Insurance and the need for highly educated workers to fill more than 1,000 highly skilled positions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Normally I would agree that this issue could cause a substantial population decline for Erie, but some of these cuts are early retirements and I wonder how the hiring at Erie Insurance will possibly offset the population loss from GE jobs and former employees moving.
You're talking about 475 mostly manufacturing and engineering jobs at GE vs. 1,000 mostly clerical jobs at Erie Insurance. Even if a quarter of the GE jobs are early retirement, it will still have a substantial effect.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
You're talking about 475 mostly manufacturing and engineering jobs at GE vs. 1,000 mostly clerical jobs at Erie Insurance. Even if a quarter of the GE jobs are early retirement, it will still have a substantial effect.
1,000 jobs is on the low end of the estimates I have seen and it will be at least 500-600 jobs at Erie Insurance over the next few years with more scheduled to be added in the future. Additionally, Erie Insurance pays very well and I have several friends and former students who work for Erie Insurance and they pay around $15-$20 per hour for interns and $40,000+ for most jobs. While this is not as high as the GE positions, Erie Insurance pays very well for the Erie area and the "clerical" jobs you are referring to will be good paying jobs. Finally, this round of cuts at GE is devastating, but I am more worried about the 2,000 remaining GE jobs and I hope Erie can hang on to these jobs until some other jobs can be created to replace them if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania