U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 08:08 PM

852 posts, read 430,373 times

Advertisements

I may be made a job offer in Reading, Pennsylvania which would mean I'd have to locate from northern New Jersey.

I'm looking to find a town that is safe, affordable ($700-$1200 rent), has a nice downtown with plenty of restaurants, shops, and culture (I'm in my mid-20s so I'm not really looking for a bedroom community at this point) and ideally, a town with a paved walking path as I'm trying to lose weight. I'd like to be no more than 30 minutes from downtown Reading.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 AM

677 posts, read 622,996 times
I'm from North Jersey (Paramus area) and my brother and mother both moved to the Reading area. Its quite different out in Berks county PA so don't set your expectations high when it comes to a walkable downtown for young people. There is no Ridgewood/Hoboken in Berks county, but the best town near Reading is Wyomissing, without a doubt. West Reading or anything around the main strip of Penn Ave would be good too. Since your young, you'll want to live near Penn Ave, as its the only place with bars/restaurants/cafe's in the area. Also, there are a couple of good spots in Reading downtown, like the Ugly Oyster, but you don't want to live in downtown as its not safe (think Paterson NJ). Good luck and let me know if you need any help or info.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:57 PM

397 posts, read 546,033 times
Talking Check out these zip codes

Congratulations on your job offer. There are two zip codes to check into if you've got a job in Reading and you're young: 19611 - West Reading and 19610 Wyomissing. The City of Reading IS getting better but S L O W L Y, and I can't recommend it without caveats, so let's just go west of the Schuylkill River.

Penn Avenue goes west from Reading, the 422 bypass and the Schuylkill River into West Reading which is a charming old town of rowhomes and twins mostly, with an upscale boutique vibe along Penn Avenue. Two blocks off Penn Avenue is the huge Reading Hospital complex that adjoins Wyomissing Park land. This is a great place to walk/run along the Wyomissing Creek. The very fine Reading Museum is located in the park as well as a planetarium. As you jog west along the creek or along Penn Avenue you will be in the upscale bedroom community of Wyomissing. Stately older homes abound.

This whole area is very walkable. Lots of places to eat, drink, socialize. The advantage to being just a hop over the bridge to Reading is that you are close to entertainment centers. The Goggleworks Arts Center is a block from the bridge and has cultural things from glassblowing to ballet to woodworking and varied visual arts plus an arts cinema. Steps away from the Goggleworks is the Reading Imax 10 Theater with multiple screens showing the hot new movies (some in 3D or IMAX). Then there are the two Santanders - The arena for Reading Royals Ice Hockey and larger concerts (Over 7,000 seats) Coming shortly - Scorpions & Megadeth, Nick Jam with Plan B, Alabama, Mannheim Steamroller, Marc Anthony - and the Santander Performing Arts Center (1600+ seats) Coming shortly - Yes, Z Z Top, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kansas.

There's a Gold's Gym about 2 blocks from the Wyomissing Public Library, and next to "Building 24 Live" which is a bar/club place.

Look on apartments.com at the above 2 zip codes and see what's available at your price range. Check out a google map to see what's in the neighborhood, then come on down.

If you have additional questions let us know.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:59 PM

22,195 posts, read 10,244,133 times
Guess you'll have to change your screen name.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 PM

517 posts, read 236,566 times
As others have said, West Reading is your best bet by a lot. I grew up in Wyomissing. Reading itself is not a great place to live. West Reading is just across the river, but is insulated from the urban blight by being part of Wyomissing Area school district, not Reading schools. Wyomissing proper is old money and will never allow any urban "bad element" to infiltrate their schools or their area. Even if children/schools are not a priority, being in the district has a big affect on the safety and cleanliness of the neighborhood.

Penn Ave in West Reading has good restaurants and shops and some bars/nightlife, but in general, Berks County is not exactly a mecca for culture or nightlife, so don't expect to find somewhere like Hoboken anywhere in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or