Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Just because you hear Spanish being spoken doesn't mean they are from Mexico, as is the common perception. They are simply doing what all our ancestors did, moving from New York and Philadelphia, where they initially came, into the interior of the country. If it weren't for immigration, almost all of the cities in the northeast and midwest would have lost population in the last census. Allentown's population increased 10 percent, mostly due to immigration.
Yup. And the assumption that anyone speaking a foreign language is illegal is the definition of an ignorant racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Yup. And the assumption that anyone speaking a foreign language is illegal is the definition of an ignorant racist.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to blazerj again."

Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
But, the link doesn't mention anything about the differences in definitions.
That's because the change occurred under the Obama admin, I was trying to give some back history on this so you understand why the total has not increased much. A Google search on "Importer in Chief" should clarify this. It's actually a bit humorous because it left Obama defending the increased numbers that were basically accounting changes.

Quote:
Irrespective, the fact that Obama deported a bunch of illegals is lost on people. Does it matter if Trump deported 10% more or less than Obama? The OP was arguing that Trump was "hired" to deport people, but he's wrong (shockingly).
What is important is who is being deported. Less people crossing the border means lees of them are caught and included in Trump's totals. The difference could only be made up by an increase of deportations of people already in the country.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
There is no assumption made. I have seen many 'changes' in my 70 years. 70 years ago we were a hunting and fishing community that also had many resorts. And, yes, our area was predominately White. Today we have immigrants from all over the world; we have a very diverse community. We are probably more diverse than almost any other area of our State. I have friends and coworkers from almost every country in the world (yes I still work). My boss if from half way around the world.

Our County leadership, promoted by the large resorts; has favored resort interest over large businesses that could have encouraged higher wages. My local forum is full of posters that have complained about our local wages over the years. It is one of the reasons that my County has one of the longest commutes in the Nation. We have very good reasons to say 'no' to illegal immigration if we would be aware of it's presence - of course that does not mean that it is in our area.

The world does not speak Spanish. While Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world; there are only about 40 million more people that speak Spanish instead of English. Pennsylvania supposedly has only a little over 6% of it's citizens that speak Spanish. So when we have local stores that sound more like we are in Mexico or Puerto Rico; then it should not upset anybody if we ask why? Of course it is easy to understand that different nationalities want to live close to each other. But it is not 'racist' to ask why?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is no assumption made. I have seen many 'changes' in my 70 years. 70 years ago we were a hunting and fishing community that also had many resorts. And, yes, our area was predominately White. Today we have immigrants from all over the world; we have a very diverse community. We are probably more diverse than almost any other area of our State. I have friends and coworkers from almost every country in the world (yes I still work). My boss if from half way around the world.

Our County leadership, promoted by the large resorts; has favored resort interest over large businesses that could have encouraged higher wages

You're in the Poconos, right? I haven't been up there in several years, but from what I hear it has been overrun by people from NYC, and NJ, so that may be part of the issue.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You're in the Poconos, right? I haven't been up there in several years, but from what I hear it has been overrun by people from NYC, and NJ, so that may be part of the issue.
Of course that is part of the issue. But it is not their fault like many of my fellow 'locals' would claim. When it comes time for us to sell and move; we, the locals, sell to the highest bidder. In many cases those higher bidders come from the metropolitan areas (like NYC, metro NJ or Philadelphia). There are also big differences even in my own County. Some areas are changing faster than other areas. The 'West End' is behind the changes taking place in Mt. Pocono. The Stroudsburgs are somewhat in the middle of the change. I am not condemning change; we all change unless we are a stick in the mud.

I fight for better wages for all people. I always have and it has been a losing battle for the last half century. Illegal immigration hurts everybody and gives wealthy employers one more 'tool' they can use to say to legal workers: You're replaceable! That is the reason I want to see Casey turned into a 'replaced'!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
The world does not speak Spanish. While Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world; there are only about 40 million more people that speak Spanish instead of English. Pennsylvania supposedly has only a little over 6% of it's citizens that speak Spanish. So when we have local stores that sound more like we are in Mexico or Puerto Rico; then it should not upset anybody if we ask why? Of course it is easy to understand that different nationalities want to live close to each other. But it is not 'racist' to ask why?

I always admired people that were bilingual, that said I don't appreciate employees speaking a different language to each other when I'm at a business like a restaurant whether it's Italian, Chinese or Spanish. I know if i owned such business they would all be speaking English unless they were directly speaking to a customer that initiated a conversation in a different language.

A country divided by language is a country divided, if you want to create a schism that's the way to do it. Regardless of what is the most spoken language English is the language of the world because if someone has a second language that is likely what it is especially with the onslaught of the Internet. I know someone that owns a website that is Swedish, he types perfect English but doesn't speak it. you aren't going to find a word od Swedish on his site from anyone. I was once a part of large open source project that had members from across the globe. All communications were English and that is the case on most open source projects.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I always admired people that were bilingual, that said I don't appreciate employees speaking a different language to each other when I'm at a business like a restaurant whether it's Italian, Chinese or Spanish. I know if i owned such business they would all be speaking English unless they were directly speaking to a customer that initiated a conversation in a different language.

A country divided by language is a country divided, if you want to create a schism that's the way to do it. Regardless of what is the most spoken language English is the language of the world because if someone has a second language that is likely what it is especially with the onslaught of the Internet. I know someone that owns a website that is Swedish, he types perfect English but doesn't speak it. you aren't going to find a word od Swedish on his site from anyone. I was once a part of large open source project that had members from across the globe. All communications were English and that is the case on most open source projects.
I do have a problem with some immigrants, that over many years; never learn our language. To me it is saying that they never really wanted to come to our Country. If you really want to be an 'American' I would think that you would want to learn our language and customs. But that is my personal feeling.

I also resent how America and the world has become so homogenized. No matter were we travel we see the McDonalds, Lowes, Home Depot or whatever. I missed the days where people traveled to get Vermont maple sugar candy or hot pastrami sandwiches or Philly cheesesteaks. But at the same time I like the convenience of having what I like close to me.

So I guess the last two paragraphs don't make any sense? I guess I could say that I enjoy diversity to a point.

On you point about language: If we supply teachers to accommodate all languages; then that adds to the cost of education and government. There are simply too many languages to accommodate all.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:06 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
I do have a problem with some immigrants, that over many years; never learn our language. To me it is saying that they never really wanted to come to our Country. If you really want to be an 'American' I would think that you would want to learn our language and customs. But that is my personal feeling.
This is simply not true and never has been. Each immigrant group has spoken their own language. It was always, and still is, beneficial to also speak English but it was never required and often people did not learn the language. The idea that they did is a myth. People with better educations often had english in school are more apt to speak English here. Some people have better educations, are better suited, or simply lack the confidence to learn new languages. Americans often travel to other countries and expect people to speak their languages. Language use is not a reflection of whether someone wants to be here. Immigrants are often the most appreciative of what our country offers.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
This is simply not true and never has been. Each immigrant group has spoken their own language. It was always, and still is, beneficial to also speak English but it was never required and often people did not learn the language. The idea that they did is a myth. People with better educations often had english in school are more apt to speak English here. Some people have better educations, are better suited, or simply lack the confidence to learn new languages. Americans often travel to other countries and expect people to speak their languages. Language use is not a reflection of whether someone wants to be here. Immigrants are often the most appreciative of what our country offers.
I understand that people are more 'comfortable' with their own languages. I also understand that many immigrants flock to areas of our County where they can speak their native tongues and share common customs.

However it is important to learn the languages and customs of your new home; especially if you are the supervisor of people that only speak English or you want to drive on our roads. It is not up to your employees or other people to learn your language or customs or for us to post road signs in all languages. It is not up to us to teach you either; you assumed that responsibility when you decided to move to our land. Like other nationalities that resent us because we 'expect them' to speak English; we do expect those that come to live to learn some of our language. They do not have to speak our language like they grew up here; but they have to function if they want to totally participate. If they want to stay in an enclave; then let them stay - but they still have to abide by our laws.

Now, going back to illegal immigration; I think many do not learn our language because they do expect to get caught breaking our laws. It's not worth the trouble if you are going to shipped back home. Now if Senator Casey wins; then they would have more hope - but I hope it doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania