Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:20 PM

332 posts, read 521,893 times

Advertisements

Lately the Hudson Valley and Catskills area has become known for lots of good food, interesting arts and music scene, many chefs moving from NYC (Fish & Game, etc), etc. Are there any areas of the poconos or other places in PA within weekend driving distance of NYC (well, NJ burbs) that are like this? Looking for interesting weekend escapes with the idea of possibility of eventually finding a weekend place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Jim Thorpe is quaint with some nice restaurants and many outdoorsy things to do. Also many community events geared toward tourists.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Jim Thorpe is quaint with some nice restaurants and many outdoorsy things to do. Also many community events geared toward tourists.
But like you just stated, on another thread, it took you 3 to 3.5 hours to commute today one way. Of course the commute depends on the time of day. Sometimes the time of day does not actually help if there is road work going on. I do like your area; I just think that it might be pushing their 'requirements'.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:58 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
New Hope, PA

Or take the train to Philadelphia.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:03 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Bucks County, PA between New Hope and Doylestown. I think that Lambertville, NJ is a bit more interesting than New Hope these days, buy they are across the river from each other.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:53 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But like you just stated, on another thread, it took you 3 to 3.5 hours to commute today one way. Of course the commute depends on the time of day. Sometimes the time of day does not actually help if there is road work going on. I do like your area; I just think that it might be pushing their 'requirements'.
The OP was asking about trips and a possible weekend home. Doable 2x a week. :P

Old 09-28-2017, 10:44 AM

332 posts, read 521,893 times
Thanks for the responses. Seems like the Bucks COunty area is the interesting one to check out, though I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) it has the topographical beauty of the poconos (mountains, lakes, etc). Would be interesting if the poconos underwent some of the revival that's happening up in towns like Hudson, though maybe that's just not the point of the poconos.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:23 AM

I'm correcting you because you're wrong. There are some terrific places to eat in towns like New Hope, Doylestown, interesting things to see and visit such as Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve and Tower, Mercer Museum and Fonthill Castle, covered bridges, wineries. Every Christmas Day there's a reenactment of George Washington's river crossing. Central Bucks is hilly, but there are a few mountains. The Northeastern part of the county is more quiet, the terrain more rugged.

'Wheel of Fortune' winners love Bucks County | Local | theintell.com

https://www.mercermuseum.org/

Bucks County Wine Trail -

Old 09-30-2017, 03:51 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm correcting you because you're wrong. There are some terrific places to eat in towns like New Hope, Doylestown, interesting things to see and visit such as Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve and Tower, Mercer Museum and Fonthill Castle, covered bridges, wineries. Every Christmas Day there's a reenactment of George Washington's river crossing. Central Bucks is hilly, but there are a few mountains. The Northeastern part of the county is more quiet, the terrain more rugged.

'Wheel of Fortune' winners love Bucks County | Local | theintell.com

https://www.mercermuseum.org/

Bucks County Wine Trail -
I don't know who you're correcting, for the only knock I've seen on Bucks in this thread is that it's not as interesting topographically as the Poconos might be.

There's no Delaware Water Gap in Bucks, no Bushkill Falls, and the hills aren't as high or as steep. You can't ski in Bucks County, AFAIK. (What with climate change, you may not be able to ski in the Poconos soon either.)

But I'd agree with you that New Hope/Lambertville, Doylestown and even Lahaska (Peddler's Village) have it over Stroudsburg or such other towns as the Poconos contain as far as dining, shopping and entertainment are concerned. And most of this part of Bucks remains forested, which makes for interesting scenery, especailly along the Delaware itself.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I don't know who you're correcting, for the only knock I've seen on Bucks in this thread is that it's not as interesting topographically as the Poconos might be.

There's no Delaware Water Gap in Bucks, no Bushkill Falls, and the hills aren't as high or as steep. You can't ski in Bucks County, AFAIK. (What with climate change, you may not be able to ski in the Poconos soon either.)

But I'd agree with you that New Hope/Lambertville, Doylestown and even Lahaska (Peddler's Village) have it over Stroudsburg or such other towns as the Poconos contain as far as dining, shopping and entertainment are concerned. And most of this part of Bucks remains forested, which makes for interesting scenery, especailly along the Delaware itself.
His (OP) post just before mine. There are a few mountains in the Northern part of the county by Nockamixon. The nearest ski slopes are in Spring Mount and Macungie. There are no waterfalls. There's some elevation at High Rocks State Park, and Ringing Rocks is pretty interesting if you like boulders.

Tubulus mentioned food, art, and music. He's not going to find that in the Poconos--at least not a short distance from his weekend place. All of those are easy to find in the Lambertville to Doylestown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania