U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2017, 06:36 PM
 
4,079 posts, read 3,349,827 times
Reputation: 1234
Nearly 450 municipalities so far have passed resolutions declaring they will not host a mini-casino. The seven in Franklin County are the boroughs of Greencastle and Mont Alto and Fannett, Hamilton, Letterkenny, Peters and Southampton townships.

A mini-casino can have 300 to 750 slot machines and up to 40 table games. Pennsylvania has 10 large casinos, each permitted to host up to 5,000 slots and 250 tables.


Mayor casts tie-breaking vote to make Chambersburg open to mini-casinos

Personally, I'm glad the Borough is leaving the door open for this. A mini-casino would be a boon for our stores, dining establishments, and hotels. If the number of hotel guests increased, it would help fund tourism-related projects through the county's pillow-tax.

I'm hoping other nearby townships, such as Greene and Guilford, leave the door open as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
2,540 posts, read 1,912,699 times
Reputation: 2657
Eh. The state legislature is ruining Pennsylvania. There are for more effective ways to build revenue WITHOUT raising taxes on consumers. With that, gambling is not one of them. Pennsylvania is already the #2 gaming state in the nation after Nevada. You really think we need more? If anything I would of allotted possibly 2 - 3 more large gaming casino licenses. But tied to certain economic/local investment projects.


The state needs to think bigger and be more visionary. Just randomly plotting casinos around the state does little to do this. I understand your point to bring Tourism to Chambersburg. I think that is positive. The state though just really screwed up. The economic impact you are seeking could be far greater if the casino's had more requirements/local investments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 PM
 
4,079 posts, read 3,349,827 times
Reputation: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Eh. The state legislature is ruining Pennsylvania. There are for more effective ways to build revenue WITHOUT raising taxes on consumers. With that, gambling is not one of them. Pennsylvania is already the #2 gaming state in the nation after Nevada. You really think we need more? If anything I would of allotted possibly 2 - 3 more large gaming casino licenses. But tied to certain economic/local investment projects.


The state needs to think bigger and be more visionary. Just randomly plotting casinos around the state does little to do this. I understand your point to bring Tourism to Chambersburg. I think that is positive. The state though just really screwed up. The economic impact you are seeking could be far greater if the casino's had more requirements/local investments.
But will extra gambling venues necessarily hurt? I understand that the benefits of a casino diminishes as more as built (Atlantic City found that out the hard way), but the Commonwealth is intentionally limiting gaming licenses for that reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 PM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
41,563 posts, read 54,151,826 times
Reputation: 55940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
But will extra gambling venues necessarily hurt? I understand that the benefits of a casino diminishes as more as built (Atlantic City found that out the hard way), but the Commonwealth is intentionally limiting gaming licenses for that reason.
It sounds like they're trying to get more gambling venues into areas where the residents won't necessarily travel to one of the larger ones.

That would likely increase revenues, and in many ways gambling money is "free money" but that's when it's tied to tourism.

What we found in Maryland is that each casino that opened cannibalized patrons from the existing ones. Even the highly touted one outside DC isn't attracting, yet, many gamblers from Virginia but the traffic at the rest has decreased with its opening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
2,540 posts, read 1,912,699 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
But will extra gambling venues necessarily hurt? I understand that the benefits of a casino diminishes as more as built (Atlantic City found that out the hard way), but the Commonwealth is intentionally limiting gaming licenses for that reason.
Yea I share your goal. Lets invest in Pennsylvania's small cities/towns! They have so much charm, that few places can compare. With that I think we can brainstorm better and more effective policies that do this than Casinos. Period.

Lets put tax incentives for businesses willing to invest in towns. Lets encourage investment in towns maybe through statewide property tax abatements. Lets encourage a statewide tourism on towns specifically. There is SO MUCH more effective things we can do on a state level to increase the vitality to places like Chambersburg. Casinos are not one of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Cashtown, PA
299 posts, read 446,608 times
Reputation: 339
Don't think Casinos will add much other than revenue to the state possibly. A lot of casinos have eating places at the casino so won't encourage people to go eat at local restaurants and if it is a large casino, has hotels. So folks won't patronize local hotels. Casinos are good for one thing only and that is revenue for the state. While that is important, there are other methods to increase revenues. PA has so many interesting areas, geographically and historically that are underutilized. Take a page from some of those areas that have succeeded with advertising themselves. Agree with RowHome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2017, 09:27 AM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
41,563 posts, read 54,151,826 times
Reputation: 55940
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
Don't think Casinos will add much other than revenue to the state possibly. A lot of casinos have eating places at the casino so won't encourage people to go eat at local restaurants and if it is a large casino, has hotels. So folks won't patronize local hotels. Casinos are good for one thing only and that is revenue for the state. While that is important, there are other methods to increase revenues. PA has so many interesting areas, geographically and historically that are underutilized. Take a page from some of those areas that have succeeded with advertising themselves. Agree with RowHome!
That's just it, the pie will just be cut up differently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2017, 11:34 AM
 
4,079 posts, read 3,349,827 times
Reputation: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It sounds like they're trying to get more gambling venues into areas where the residents won't necessarily travel to one of the larger ones.

That would likely increase revenues, and in many ways gambling money is "free money" but that's when it's tied to tourism.

What we found in Maryland is that each casino that opened cannibalized patrons from the existing ones. Even the highly touted one outside DC isn't attracting, yet, many gamblers from Virginia but the traffic at the rest has decreased with its opening.
"...we found in Maryland is that each casino that opened cannibalized patrons from the existing ones" Because Franklin County doesn't have a casino in its immediate proximity, this isn't really a concern for us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2017, 11:40 AM
 
4,079 posts, read 3,349,827 times
Reputation: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
Don't think Casinos will add much other than revenue to the state possibly. A lot of casinos have eating places at the casino so won't encourage people to go eat at local restaurants and if it is a large casino, has hotels. So folks won't patronize local hotels. Casinos are good for one thing only and that is revenue for the state. While that is important, there are other methods to increase revenues. PA has so many interesting areas, geographically and historically that are underutilized. Take a page from some of those areas that have succeeded with advertising themselves. Agree with RowHome!
These are mini-casinos though. I'm not sure what the Class 4 designation entails, but these won't be massive operations. Because they won't be huge and all-inclusive, I think host communities can still stand to benefit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2017, 02:00 PM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
41,563 posts, read 54,151,826 times
Reputation: 55940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
"...we found in Maryland is that each casino that opened cannibalized patrons from the existing ones" Because Franklin County doesn't have a casino in its immediate proximity, this isn't really a concern for us.
Isn't it, or won't it be? One opens in Franklin OK. What happens if Fulton opens one?

In addition to casinos we also have a couple places with psuedo-slots. Those casinos in everything but name **** money and have buses coming up from North Carolina churches.

You will have jurisdictions up there that will compete for the venue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top