U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Center City Philadelphia
1,099 posts, read 2,950,527 times
Reputation: 385
Default Updated census data for South Central PA

Adams County
Population 2000: 91,588
Population 2007: 100,779
Population Change: +9,191 Percent Change: 10.4%

Cumberland County
Population 2000: 214,003
Population 2007: 228,019
Population Change: +14,016 Percent Change: 6.7%

Dauphin County
Population 2000: 251,802
Population 2007: 255,710
Population Change: +3,908 Percent Change: 1.6%

Franklin County
Population 2000: 129,550
Population 2007: 141,665
Population Change: +12,115 Percent Change: 9.6%

Lancaster County
Population 2000: 471,789
Population 2007: 498,465
Population Change: +26,676 Percent Change: 5.9%

Lebanon County
Population 2000: 120,421
Population 2007: 127,889
Population Change: +7,468 Percent Change: 6.3%

Perry County
Population 2000: 43,616
Population 2007: 45,163
Population Change: +1,547 Percent Change: 3.6%

York County
Population 2000: 382,725
Population 2007: 421,049
Population Change: +38,324 Percent Change: 10.3%

Metro areas
Harrisburg
Population 2000: 509,421
Population 2007: 528,892
Population Change: +19,471 Percent Change: 3.6%

York
Population 2000: 474,313
Population 2007: 521,828
Population Change: +47,515 Percent Change: 9.1%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Windsor Twp
60 posts, read 207,851 times
Reputation: 20
Interesting;

Do they have the projected forecast for 2010? I am actually working with the Census Bureau in Baltimore County updating their geographic tabulation blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
25,852 posts, read 44,116,022 times
Reputation: 10702
Why, oh why does this rapidly growing and densely-populated area still not have its own sub-forum? I'll even sift through every page on the General PA forum and e-mail a list of threads that should be included in it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
25,852 posts, read 44,116,022 times
Reputation: 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Why, oh why does this rapidly growing and densely-populated area still not have its own sub-forum? I'll even sift through every page on the General PA forum and e-mail a list of threads that should be included in it!
Well, I just plead my case to the higher-ups. Let's see how things turn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC
2,727 posts, read 5,049,584 times
Reputation: 1473
Hanover must have hit the 50,000 person urbanized area threshold, because they are now including Adams County in the York urbanized area. Technically this is incorrect; it is actually the York and Hanover urbanized areas (the two places' urbanized areas do not touch each other, even though they are in the same county). Hanover, which is right on the border with Adams County, has its urbanized area spill into Adams County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM
 
Location: South Central PA
1,561 posts, read 2,757,184 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Hanover must have hit the 50,000 person urbanized area threshold, because they are now including Adams County in the York urbanized area. Technically this is incorrect; it is actually the York and Hanover urbanized areas (the two places' urbanized areas do not touch each other, even though they are in the same county). Hanover, which is right on the border with Adams County, has its urbanized area spill into Adams County.
Well, for a few years hanover has been selectively included with both york and gettysburg depending on the source. That's cause Gettysburg people go to Hanover for shopping, some for schooling such as for Delone, as well as social networks connecting the two, and jobs being in hanover. Same goes for Hanover to York. So, I think it's more of a planetary system imo.

Although, they are adding 'passing lanes' according to the Penndot 12 year plan to route 30, not to mention the brushtown bypass.

Harrisburg being the center of the galaxy, York being a solar system, Hanover being a planet, Gettysburg being a moon, and misc small towns around gettysburg such as heidlersburg, biglerville, bonneville being misc debris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC
2,727 posts, read 5,049,584 times
Reputation: 1473
FWIW, in the job I had for nearly 8 years in Harrisburg that I just left, I worked with PennDOT (not just their Central Office, but also District 8-0) extensively. Their 12 year plan really doesn't mean anything, UNLESS they have parts of the project on the first 4 years of the plan. Seriously.

As for the Hanover/Adams County connection, with McSherrystown being right next to Hanover but across the county line (heck, you don't know where Hanover ends and McSherrystown begins and vice versa unless you know where the border is), from a Census standpoint Adams County should be included with Hanover, and because Hanover is in York County with the city of York, they'll group both areas together. Actually, from a transportation perspective this is important, because if Hanover's urbanized area exceeds that 50,000 person threshold (which it almost has to due to all the Maryland transplants and the fact Hanover was just under 50,000 in the 2000 Census), it means Adams County and York County could consolidate for planning purposes if they so choose. To my knowledge, the two counties have been talking with each other for a few years to determine if they want to do that once the official 2010 Census figures and urbanized area determinations are released in 2012 or 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM
 
Location: South Central PA
1,561 posts, read 2,757,184 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
FWIW, in the job I had for nearly 8 years in Harrisburg that I just left, I worked with PennDOT (not just their Central Office, but also District 8-0) extensively. Their 12 year plan really doesn't mean anything, UNLESS they have parts of the project on the first 4 years of the plan. Seriously.

As for the Hanover/Adams County connection, with McSherrystown being right next to Hanover but across the county line (heck, you don't know where Hanover ends and McSherrystown begins and vice versa unless you know where the border is), from a Census standpoint Adams County should be included with Hanover, and because Hanover is in York County with the city of York, they'll group both areas together. Actually, from a transportation perspective this is important, because if Hanover's urbanized area exceeds that 50,000 person threshold (which it almost has to due to all the Maryland transplants and the fact Hanover was just under 50,000 in the 2000 Census), it means Adams County and York County could consolidate for planning purposes if they so choose. To my knowledge, the two counties have been talking with each other for a few years to determine if they want to do that once the official 2010 Census figures and urbanized area determinations are released in 2012 or 2013.
Well, the route 30 think they are already starting to move utilities.

I wouldn't neccessarily complain about the merging of york and adams counties for transportation issues, seeing as how the expansion of hanover area (not just mcsherrystown, but on the north side as well) is crossing over into adams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top