Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:21 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
We moved to a small town outside of Gettysburg to open up a shop. The customers look at us boogle eyed and ask why on earth we moved here.
Boogle eyed, huh? What kind of shop is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 12:43 PM

298 posts, read 482,017 times
we sell used and rare books specializing in history and art So our customers are a very special breed...and so are we

Old 01-30-2018, 12:57 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Cool. I collect atlases and school geography books.

Seems like Gettysburg would be a place that attracts people with an appreciation of history but I suppose locals might expect to find your kind of shop in a toney section of Philly or in New Hope. Anyway, good luck!

Old 02-04-2018, 10:03 PM

61 posts, read 61,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
As a newcomer to this area, have little knowledge of the economics of the cities or the areas. Speaking from my experience anecdotal as it may be. So if I ramble forgive me...but just my observations.

We moved to a small town outside of Gettysburg to open up a shop. The customers look at us boogle eyed and ask why on earth we moved here.

The answers we give are generally we love the history of the area and the architecture and the bonafide small town feel.
The answers we don't give are :
The house we bought would have cost double what we paid, in central Mass. Groceries are about on par, maybe a little less here. Heating costs are less. Taxes are equivalent, maybe a little less. So even tho my husband left a paying job to open business with me, we are still ahead finance wise if we had stayed in Massachusetts.

Other customers have come in, noeting they too are new to the area. Most of them are retirement age or close to. I haven't asked them why they moved but perhaps I will. Yes, I know they will not contribute to the work force by and large. Possibly will work as volunteers for charitable organizations but if they feel they have money to live on, will not compete with the work force.

They will however contribute to businesses' bottom line. And thus, small businesses like mine will be able to hire employees. I see areas improving over time economy wise.

Oh and by the way, 35 years ago I couldn't find work...spent 5-10 years applying for ANY job, crappy as it was. Finally started selling books at the local Flea Market that I got for free, garage sales etc. We have to be innovative about finding jobs to support ourselves sometimes.

Now I know my experience is not typical or what other people may be able to do - especially folks needing to support families. But in my own weird way trying to say, don't discount small business opportunities - even very small ones. They add to the health of the economy of an area.
Or NH for that matter. For tax free living supposedly, its still very expensive here. I lived in PA back in 2004.. I was supposed to move to Lancaster but it didnt happen. My mom instead took me to Johnstown which was a mistake at that time because that imo is one of the poorest areas of PA. Even despite that though, some real nice neighborhoods did exist but no I wouldnt imagine even today in 2018 that Johnstown improved that much since.. and that its Eastern PA everywhere that is doing better than Altoona and around it. The area I just mentioned is better if you bring savings from another place and buy a house maybe. Eastern PA looks more stable from Bucks to Lancaster. I might even look at it down the line as technically I should have moved to Lancaster, not Johnstown. My mom decided that one though not me.. I wanted Eastern PA and thought it be a good life for me. Well I may revisit it within 5 years god only knows. I am originally from Billerica btw and have a long time friend thinking of moving there soon too. So I may join him one day. I also like flea markets and garage sales but may want to do something else for a living. I have to do more investigating but I am pretty sure its a top place for someone like me who hates high crowds, yuppies and high cost of living areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania