U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 9,416 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the State College area soon, and we're at the beginning stages of looking for a home.

Ideally, we would like to live in State College, but we also know that you get more bang for your buck in Boalsburg, Port Matilda or Bellefonte.

Can anyone shed some light on what it's like to live in any of these areas? I've heard lots of good things about living in State College, but not much (good or bad) about the other areas.

Our kids are grown and so we don't have to worry about schools, although I know that State College is a great school district to live in.

Our price range is approximately 280-320K.

Any areas to avoid? Any insider information at all???

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 PM

402 posts, read 2,100,118 times
There's the "good" Port Matilda (closer to State College) and the Bad Port Matilda (over the mountain). I believe Bellefonte doesn't have all the great amenities State College has because of Penn state, but it is only a drive a way. (and I think Bellefonte is pretty charming!!)

I think it depends on what you're looking for...

Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,416 times
I guess what I'm looking for here is any insight on what places, if any, to avoid. You know how every area seems to have a section that you should just avoid living in if possible, whether it's because of crime, drug problems, etc. The kind of things that you probably wouldn't know about if you were coming into an area without any previous knowledge.

I know in my part of the state there are places that I would steer people away from, if they asked my opinion. And there are towns that I would definitely recommend.

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. (Thanks vetegnc for your input.) Anyone else?

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM

956 posts, read 3,761,368 times
My kids went to school at PSU. We've made the trip thru those towns for over 10 years. Also, my daughter is now in the Harrisburg area, so we continue to drive thru the State College area. We've been to events, visiting, out to dinner,.... If it was me, I would want to be in State College. Even though I was born and raised a small town boy, those other locations you mention really are pretty small town. You'd find yourself traveling to State College for any decent shopping, probably the best doctors, definitely better schools, etc - so just move there!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 PM

1,051 posts, read 4,172,908 times
Regardless, Boalsburg and Bellefonte are both very close to State College, so you would not be lacking all the amenities of SC- you would just drive a few minutes farther to get to them. As a previous poster said, Port Matilda has a run down area that might not appeal to you, but it also has a good side. I think that living in SC would be the most convenient place, but you wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice looking at other towns, as they are all kind of clumped together.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:47 PM

190 posts, read 642,052 times
Valley of Happiness, I hope I can help you. There really is no "bad" part of State College. You can get more house for your money in other close by places. The boro of SC has about 40,000 residents. However, the greater SC area also includes 5 townships. They are Patton, Ferguson, College, Harris, and Halfmoon. Many houses in Halfmoon Township have a Port Matilda addresses, but SC schools. The Port Matilda boro goes to Bald Eagle Schools, which is not bad at all, just a smaller school district. Also, most of Harris Township is of Boalsburg adresses, but SC schools. Some also have Centre Hall addresses, or Penn. Furnace, in Ferguson Township. Any area in SC is great.

Bellefonte is a great town of about 6,000 just 15 minutes from SC. Bellefonte also has great schools, however it is smaller. The town is really charming, downtown has some really nice shops. You would also do great to move here.

To look for houses, happyvalleyhomes.com shows all the listings. Don't go by the address, the site tells you the schools.
SC schools:State College Area School District
Bellefonte schools:Bellefonte Area School District, 318 North Allegheny Street, Bellefonte, PA 16823
Good luck on your move!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM

190 posts, read 642,052 times
Just a quick thing- I know you don't need the school district info, but it may help you see what the community is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania