Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jate88 View Post
It doesn't make something right just because it is the law. For a long time slavery was legal.

If you are going to come into this country you should do so legally and there is so many reasons for that I'm not even going to begin to list them.

We have a process for people to immigrate and about one million of them do each year. If you feel that is not enough, it's too hard or whatever advocate for changing the laws, not the people breaking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 02:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Send ICE a tip. According to the ICE spokesman in the article they mostly work off tips from the public.

Contrary to the ignorant opinions of many, they don't just go around raiding places just because people with brown skin work there.

The County we live in is a 'vacation' county. Services are in high demand and there is plenty of pressure to keep those wages low. Some of the owners of the resorts make large political donations - the system is ripe for abuse.

I hold nothing against Mexicans or Spanish speaking people; I even took five years of Spanish when in HS and college. It just amazes me that many times Spanish is the predominant language spoken by the customers in the Mt. Pocono Walmart and Shop Rite stores. That is not true of other areas of our County. But it is suspicious that such a high concentration of Spanish speaking people are in one service oriented area of our County. Of course that does not mean that any of them are illegally in our Country, it simply raises our curiosity. Especially when you consider that we are 2,000 miles from our Southern border.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:23 PM

8,077 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The County we live in is a 'vacation' county. Services are in high demand and there is plenty of pressure to keep those wages low. Some of the owners of the resorts make large political donations - the system is ripe for abuse.
Prior to the crash of 2008 you would regularly see people bicycling to work at Shawnee Inn. Hmm, bicycling to work, why? Perhaps because they were not eligible to get a driver's license? After the crash a lot of illegals self-deported back home. In today's economic and political climate I only see one guy riding a bicycle in the morning and he has "the look" of a dedicated young cyclist who's doing it because it's his thing, not some out of shape guy in inappropriate clothing wobbling along.

I would hesitate to make any assumptions about people out shopping, without knowing some other info about them. They could be from PR which means they are here legally by definition. They could also be here quite legally from Mexico, the DR, or any number of other places.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:03 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Prior to the crash of 2008 you would regularly see people bicycling to work at Shawnee Inn. Hmm, bicycling to work, why? Perhaps because they were not eligible to get a driver's license? After the crash a lot of illegals self-deported back home. In today's economic and political climate I only see one guy riding a bicycle in the morning and he has "the look" of a dedicated young cyclist who's doing it because it's his thing, not some out of shape guy in inappropriate clothing wobbling along.

I would hesitate to make any assumptions about people out shopping, without knowing some other info about them. They could be from PR which means they are here legally by definition. They could also be here quite legally from Mexico, the DR, or any number of other places.
I did acknowledge that they could be here legally. All I stated was that we have a 'need' for 'cheap' labor and that it was suspicious that so many, so far from Spanish speaking homelands, are customers in the Mt. Pocono stores.

In 2007 ICE raided Iridium in E. Stroudsburg and took 81 illegal immigrants into custody: 81 Illegal Immigrants Arrested in Monroe County - WFMZ. That was the only large raid that happened in our County that I remember. It could have also encouraged more illegal immigrants to self deport. But, unless there are recent large ICE raids, the motive is always present to take advantage of the system. I also agree that we should target the employers. However I do not remember any punitive actions against Iridium, As a matter of fact the company was just in the National news for launching more space satellites (although that is not what they do in E. Stroudsburg).

Old 05-13-2018, 04:36 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
When are people going to start doing something about these fascists?
Wrong question.

When are people going to start going to jail for hiring people who don't belong in this country?

Old 05-13-2018, 04:38 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what they feel is right. What matters is what is right.
So in other words you think illegal immigration is right.

Try illegally immigrating into Mexico and find out what happens.

We'll wait for your report.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:54 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Send ICE to southern Chester County. There is a huge illegal, farm working population there as well as MS-13.
Call 911 and ICE....

Old 05-13-2018, 11:06 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
So in other words you think illegal immigration is right.

Try illegally immigrating into Mexico and find out what happens.

We'll wait for your report.
Or try immigrating to (insert name of country) and see what happens. It doesn't work in a lot of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania