Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 AM

22 posts, read 13,339 times

Advertisements

Some o the homes I looked at have a good amount of land but they are in the middle of a forest and the lot is almost entirely covered by trees. Can I start clearing out some space for a yard around the home or does that require a special permit? If it does, how difficult is it to get one and how expensive?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
That depends on location.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 13,339 times
It seems like your right. I asked a realtor about one of the houses and he also said it depends on what the rules for the community are because they may have some uniformity policies to make sure one lot does not stand out too much from another. I'm guessing it might be different for houses outside of communities... but will ask for each one. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:11 PM

Neighborhoods and townships both have rules. I once lived in a neighborhood where I needed permission to take down trees. The township wanted to be informed, too.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelyso View Post
Some o the homes I looked at have a good amount of land but they are in the middle of a forest and the lot is almost entirely covered by trees. Can I start clearing out some space for a yard around the home or does that require a special permit? If it does, how difficult is it to get one and how expensive?

Thanks!
I would take a ride down to your township office and ask. Code can vary 180 degrees from township to township so I can't even venture a guess.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Neighborhoods and townships both have rules. I once lived in a neighborhood where I needed permission to take down trees. The township wanted to be informed, too.

On the lot or the tree lawn? The only time I'm aware of needing a permit is if it's on a tree lawn. A lot of towns have that ordinance and you need to justify cutting it down usually in front of a "tree commission" that is clueless

Funny side story, a relative had tree business an this massive tree had fallen. This thing weighed like 50 ton, lady from the tree commission shows up and asks him if could could put it back up.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
On the lot or the tree lawn? The only time I'm aware of needing a permit is if it's on a tree lawn. A lot of towns have that ordinance and you need to justify cutting it down usually in front of a "tree commission" that is clueless

Funny side story, a relative had tree business an this massive tree had fallen. This thing weighed like 50 ton, lady from the tree commission shows up and asks him if could could put it back up.
The tree was in the yard. I don't remember if we needed a permit, but if we did it must have been cheap--or I'd remember. It was an accident waiting to happen, so we had no problem getting permission to take it down. I thought it was a bit weird, but the "tree people" told me that our area was an official buffer zone to a large preserved area.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
I have never had to worry; but I am pretty rural and don't live in a development. I have been cutting for the last week. It is wise to check with the township first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania