Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,806 times

Advertisements

I recently took a job at a school district in PA and I quickly learned it's not for me. I am stressed out all the time and physically ill when I walk in the classroom. I gave my notice soon after I started the job and asked for them to consider releasing me after 30 days instead of the required 60 days. I have not heard back from anyone regarding a release date. I got rehired at my old company and they would like me to start ASAP. I have a few questions about this:
1. I signed my contract after the board meeting and they have not had another one yet. Is my contract valid?
2. Can the district do anything to my certificate if I tell them that my last day is before the 60 days are up?
3. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can go about getting my release date from the district?
Thank you!

Last edited by Maiyasmom; 11-06-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:14 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
You should talk to someone from your union/teacher's association or your HR person. It used to be that they would or could revoke your teaching certificate, but if you never plan to teach again, you may not care about this. Often they try to hold you until a permanent replacement can be hired (again, takes school board meetings to do this). As of now, a signed contract is valid.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
There are usually a lot of applicants for a tenure track teaching job in PA. The district should be able to hire one of the rejected applicants pretty quickly. Care to tell us what you are teaching and the grade level? Is your job in an inner city school? Were you a last minute hire? Have you ever taught before? Have you joined the union yet?

You were hired by the superintendent and the contract is valid even though the school board hasn't yet acted on it. If you leave before the required notice time, the district may take steps to revoke your teaching certificate.

Contact a lawyer with practice in education law. See link.

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/educa...w/pennsylvania

Old 11-07-2018, 06:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
What does your contract say? There should be a clause about when you terminate employment. I don’t know about teacher contracts, but the ones that I have seen require a payback of signing bonuses and noncompetes.

I’d talk to a lawyer, but my guess is that nothing would happen if you just left assuming they didn’t somehow pay you a bunch of money upfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania