Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Poll of questions for those who have left or planning to leave PA, current residence, reasons for leaving PA, would you consider moving back to PA

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:52 PM

33 posts, read 148,567 times

Advertisements

1. Where did I live. Lancaster, PA

2. Where do I live. Cody, WY

3. My back up locations. Bozeman, MT - Ft. Collins, CO - Edmonton, ALB

4. Why we left PA. Well housing went through the roof, taxes, the schools were terrible, traffic was bad, too many people, crime, the humidity. So we wanted a better place to live and raise our kids, and we could not have asked for a better place than Cody, WY.

We have traveled alot, we even lived in NC for a year and it was'nt for us but we do like to visit there. Theres alot of great places in this country and Canada and even in PA but Cody is now our home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:57 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
This move raped my bank account lol. Oh well, I'm still glad to be out of PA.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
This move raped my bank account lol. Oh well, I'm still glad to be out of PA.
Don't let the door hit your...

Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,024 times
1.) Where do you currently live in PA or where did you formerly live in PA?
Lived in Sheakleyville (Mercer County)

2.) Where do you live now after leaving PA or where do you plan to move once you do leave PA?
Mountain Home Idaho

3.) What are your "back-up" choices for relocation destinations?
none

4.) Why do you wish to leave PA or why did you leave PA?
I left when I was 17 and enlisted in the USAF

5.) What's currently holding you back from moving out if you haven't already left?
na

6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left or to stay if you haven't yet left?
If the job market was just better I would love to move back home. But I have fell in love with Idaho now, good job,flyfishing and elk hunting

7.) Anything else you'd like to add?
I will always love PA

Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 PM

77 posts, read 336,048 times
Lived in Pittsburgh

2.) Where do you live now after leaving PA or where do you plan to move once you do leave PA?
Cape May NJ

Going back to Pa. as soon as we sell here. Southcentral Pa. this time, around Carlisle

Vacationed at the Jersey shore for years and decided we wanted to live there. Been here nearly 6 years and find that the taxes and cost of living, taxes in particular, are much higher than Pa with no relief in sight.

5.) What's currently holding you back from moving out if you haven't already left?
Need to sell our home. We've looked at a lot of homes in Adams, and Cumberland counties and we're more than ready.

6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left or to stay if you haven't yet left?
See above.
Geographically We still like the area here in NJ but really want to get back to Pa. Financially we'll be way ahead of the game.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Currently in Selinsgrove. Have lived in Middleburg, Sunbury, Bradford (college), and Pleasant Gap.

Have always wanted to move out west or to Canada.

California, outskirts of Las Vegas, or Arizona.

Would like to experience living away from the Northeast. I've lived in the Northeast my whole life and would like to experience some of the good things I hear about other places. Get tired of the mid PA job market too and would like more choices with jobs.

Family, current job, and money.

I'd move if I knew I had a job set that I really wanted to do. I've worked in the social work field for the majority of the last 10 years and find it hard to switch careers where I currently live.

Would miss many things about PA.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I was inspired by a similar thread on the Ohio forum, and I figured this might likewise be a good idea for the Pennsylvania forum.

Moved from Chester County, PA north of Lionville in Upper Uwchland Twp. Still own my house there and rent it out.

Quote:
Suburbs of Denver, Colorado in Douglas County.

Quote:
Didn't have any as my company moved me for work, but one of my other choices was Fairfax, VA.

Quote:
Job transfer, but I had my choice to go somewhere else or stay in PA. Thought I'd try something different and see another part of the country.

[quote6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left or to stay if you haven't yet left?[/quote]

That's a tough one as I really like Colorado better than PA. Guess if my company of another offered a boat load of money, maybe, but I doubt it.

Quote:
PA is a great place to live and work, especially suburban Philly. However, it retains the issues of most northeastern states. PA is very diverse in populace and attitudes. Western PA is very different from eastern PA etc. It offers something for eveyrone.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 PM

6,780 posts, read 9,332,326 times
[quote=ScranBarre;3367261]I was inspired by a similar thread on the Ohio forum, and I figured this might likewise be a good idea for the Pennsylvania forum.

I lived in Pottsville until I was 22 years old.

Currently: Denver, CO, but I moved from Pottsville to Redondo Beach, CA and lived there for two years.

From Denver? Possibly Durango, CO, San Antonio, TX, Bozeman, MT, or Chico, CA.

I mostly wanted a change of scenery, but job availability had to do with it too.

N/A

More job opportunities and lower taxes.

Pennsylvania isn't a bad place to grow up and I don't necessarily look down on those who still live there, but I'm happy I decided to give a few other places a try. If I had to come back, however, I'd probably be interested in living in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
pilot
cowboy:
My daughter just moved from Hershey to Arvada, just northwest of Denver. She gave up a high school teaching job here, and is looking for work in the Boulder - Denver area. Do you have any advice to help her out? (She and her boyfriend also wanted to see other parts of the country after having lived in PA all their lives).

Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 AM

6,780 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
pilot
cowboy:
My daughter just moved from Hershey to Arvada, just northwest of Denver. She gave up a high school teaching job here, and is looking for work in the Boulder - Denver area. Do you have any advice to help her out? (She and her boyfriend also wanted to see other parts of the country after having lived in PA all their lives).
I would recommend finding a staffing agency if she isn't interested in finding a teaching job. I don't have any particular agency to recommend other than that my roommate went through one called Ledgent and found a permanent accounting position within a week of contacting the agency. There are quite a few around town and most can help find temp or permanent work.

I also like Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed, which is a search engine that indexes a lot of the other popular job websites, like Monster, CareerBuilder, HotJobs, and even indexes Craigslist and other sites that are more industry-specific. It's worth a look.

As far as teaching jobs, I don't know anyone who has children in school within the City and County of Denver, but I do know that Denver Public Schools is hiring. I've seen signs around town, etc., although I know DPS doesn't have the best reputation. There are also quite a few charter schools around the Denver region and also quite a few Montessori (sp?) schools, if this helps.

Hope this helps! I hope she and her boyfriend are enjoying Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania