U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-24-2006, 12:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 8,577,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
http://homepics.realtor.com/image3/http/trend/listings/large/075/4838265.jpg (broken link)

That ones only 379K. 200 Year old Farmhouse. 4 Bedroom, 3 Baths. Not quite what you are showing but nice nonetheless and it's on an acre ( 1.14 ) in a place called Rose Valley

How far from NYC is this area?
Taxes on 1.14 acres wouldn't be cheap in Rose Valley.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Only 2 hours?

Is the real estate market sloooow there like everywhere else?

Just thinking..........
Its a great time to buy. There are alot of houses on the market up here. Historically this is a very stable housing market that does not have many wild swings. Houses hold their value very well in the suburbs of Philly and are a bargain compared to the NYC and Boston areas.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Only 2 hours?
2 hrs approximately maybe a bit more depending on traffic.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:01 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,173,022 times
How much do you reckon taxes would be on a house like that?

By contrast, taxes on a house like that in a similar area in Florida, say Wellington ( I know cause I owned a house on 1.19 acres in Wellington ) was $3500.00 6 years ago with homeowners insurance costing 3K. Now since the run up, the homeowners ( look up 93 Squire Dr, 33414 ) are multiples of that as is insurance.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
2 hrs approximately maybe a bit more depending on traffic.

I'm originally from NJ. Fled that state and moved to Fla many years ago. The heat really bothers me now which it didn't do when I was younger. So we've been looking. Spent 25 G's going back and forth to Western North Carolina, S Carolina, Georgia ( ughhh ). Even considered keeping our house here and buying a 2nd home up in a place called the Hideout in Lake Ariel Pa. But frankly and in my not so humble opinion, the Hideout is vastly overpriced now and before I blew the money on one of those cute but tiny little places I'd buy in the Carolina's.

But to have a more year round type house, in Bucks, or now as mine eyes have seen the possibilities, Media type area, with the history, mature trees, etc, and be only a couple hours away from being able to parachute into Manhattan for a saturday afternoon or spend a weekend, would be great, I think. I say I think because I've been down here a long time and while the heat bothers me I'm not so sure I could deal with the ferocity of January/February up yonder.

Then again, maybe. A lot would depend on costs too.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:19 PM

Well its been in the 50's up here most of Dec.. Not sure if its global warming but it seems to get a bit milder every year, even with some nice breaks in jan + Feb as well. back in the day you could ice skate on the lakes from Mid DEc to March now there are years that the lakes + streams don't even freeze period.

Rose valley is very quiet peaceful place. Media is a nice little town with a very clean Main Street area. Nice place to live . I would guess taxes on that older house with the acreage is $6,000 maybe more. I have friends who bought new house ($500K) near Rose Valley with a 1/4 acre and they pay $8000.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:24 PM

Heres a Weichert real estate link to that house you posted above. Good luck.

http://www.weichert.com/search/realestate/PropertyListing.aspx?P=9139674&cityid=44153 (broken link)

Old 12-24-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Rose valley is very quiet peaceful place. Media is a nice little town with a very clean Main Street area. Nice place to live . I would guess taxes on that older house with the acreage is $6,000 maybe more. I have friends who bought new house ($500K) near Rose Valley with a 1/4 acre and they pay $8000.

It's getting to the point where there's no place left to run

I checked zillow on my old house in 33414 and it claims the taxes are now
15 G's. If I had to speculate on homeowners then it would be close to that. Call it 20-25K a year for taxes and insurance now.

Fla used to be "the deal". Really. Not the deal anymore . That said however we are flying out of Tampa on tuesday morning and going to check out a place called Navarre Beach in the northwest part of the state. I just don't like it anymore where we are with the heat ( just north of Ft Myers ) otherwise we would probably stay. Have no morgage and the last few years have been good. The adventure continues. Nice chatting with you, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas

Who knows what tomorrow will bring huh

Old 12-24-2006, 04:16 PM

11,239 posts, read 8,221,313 times
Think about Berks County. Reading aside, schools are great and the rest of the county is pretty nice. Plus people seem to be moving out of Montgomery and Bucks to live here so its definitely cheaper and more rural.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:15 PM

538 posts, read 1,629,539 times
Okay, rainrock. You win. I throw in the towel. Delaware County is a better place to live than Bucks County. Bucks County is a dump. In fact, I suggest letting the 625,000 people who choose to make Bucks County their home know that there is a far more civilized, well-developed county just down the river. After all, its just "deer and squirrels" in Bucks County.

I apologize for expressing my opinion, master. These boards are not for opinions. Don't ever have any sort of pride in an area that you live. That will not be allowed. Merry Christmas, rainrock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania