U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2019, 02:24 PM

540 posts, read 306,310 times

Advertisements

Compare to Allentown

Any good neighborhood with luxury houses and good schools ?

Any rich people live in reading ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 07:21 PM

363 posts, read 779,006 times
Both Reading and Allentown are crapholes. Wyomissing still has some nice neighborhoods but demographic spillover from Reading has driven the crime up and the quality of the schools down. I would not send my child to a public school in either Reading or Wyomissing.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:20 PM

540 posts, read 306,310 times
Crime as bad as Philadelphia?

Old 10-27-2019, 07:55 AM

12,714 posts, read 28,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Both Reading and Allentown are crapholes. Wyomissing still has some nice neighborhoods but demographic spillover from Reading has driven the crime up and the quality of the schools down. I would not send my child to a public school in either Reading or Wyomissing.
Allentown is NOT a bad place. It's a city in the midst of revitalization. There's a huge arena in the center of town where the Flyers farm team plays and concerts are hosted. There's a brand new market within walking distance of that, there's an opera house, restaurants, a brew pub and coffee shops. It's also the county seat of Lehigh County. True, the schools are not that great but that's partly due to the state funding and every city in the state has similar problems.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:44 PM

26,137 posts, read 24,905,187 times
I wouldn't live there.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:19 PM

490 posts, read 147,304 times
there are many great places to raise kids, and enjoy a nice quality of life in many small towns and townships surrounding the city of Reading. In many ways it's no different that a lot of old, post industrial cities in the northeast. Reading is a rough place, with a huge minority population, and lots of poverty. The county it's in is far from poverty stricken, with a strong business community, and lots of decent housing. Comparing it to Allentown is absurd.

For a bit of background. Both sides of my family were living in Reading, in the first half of the the last century. By the mid-50s, they had pretty much started heading for the burbs, and by the 80s and 90s there were a few elderly holdouts in crap neighborhoods in the city. I now have dozens and dozens of relatives in the area surrounding the city, most of whom are happy, safe and successful. Doubt that any of them would actually move back into Reading though. Really no different than most of the legacy cities of the industrial past in this country.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:35 PM

397 posts, read 541,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Compare to Allentown

Any good neighborhood with luxury houses and good schools ?

Any rich people live in reading ?
I waited for a little bit to see what kind of response this post got - not too much - so here's my take:

I'm not too familiar with Allentown, but in the City of Reading there are good neighborhoods with luxury houses - some homes in Hampden Heights above Albright College and the historical Centre Park District come to mind. https://www.centreparkhistoricdistrict.org/

City of Reading public schools, however, are a work in progress. Slowly getting better. (sigh)

Yes, there are rich people who live in Reading.

If you are looking to relocate to a place with luxury houses AND good schools, any place beyond the Reading Schools would be good to terrific. Wyomissing comes immediately to mind... Best schools in Berks by a recent survey and luxurious housing aplenty and many rich people.

One advisory: Many home addresses are: Reading, PA - But they are not in the city of Reading. They could be Reading, PA 19605 (Muhlenberg Schools), Reading, PA 19606 (Mt. Penn or Exeter schools), Reading, PA 19607 (Shillington or Cumru Township) Reading, PA 19608 (Sinking Spring) or Reading, PA 19609 (Wilson School district), etc.

I lived in East Reading for a few years when I was first married and it was a wonderful, warm neighborhood. Stay away from lowlifes and avoid bad habits, as any city dweller should know, and most of the city is good.
Good Luck finding your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or