Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 10:57 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,999 times

Advertisements

Why are there so many huge houses for sale for such low prices in Mohnton? it seems like you can buy a 6k sq ft home there for 400k. Does anyone have some insight about the area? I know that the taxes are extremely high in proportion to the housing prices for many listings, but I'm wondering if there is more to it? We are planning on looking at a house there on Sunday, but I have this feeling that I am missing something. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 10:38 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
I don't think there's a "catch" necessarily. Mohnton is a tidy and safe suburb of Reading. Quintessential middle class community.

Many, if not most, larger homes haven't recouped their value since the last housing downturn due to lack of demand for monstrous properties.

Millennial buyers, in particular, don't want to be left holding the bag on maintenance costs and becoming "house poor." So if you're personally interested in a large home and don't have any qualms with the maintainance/local taxes, consider yourself just lucky for the buyer's market.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:28 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,999 times
Thank you for your feedback!

Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 PM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
I've only driven through Mohnton a few times since it's kind of a hole in the wall and there's not much reason to go in there. Shillington and Kenhorst and 222 are major thoroughfares and on the other side are Route 10 and 625 taking you south.
But I did like what I saw when I drove through. It seems to be a close knit community from what I read in the papers. Not much crime and the housing stock looks old but maintained. I guess it was a mill town back in the day and still kind of rural.
There's an old joke expression the locals have about " The shipyards at Mohnton". Somebody would have to explain that to me. It strikes me as a quiet almost forgotten pocket. Its hilly around it and you'd drive past it not knowing its there.
The Cumru / Brecknock areas just to the south and east have some very upscale developments so that might influence the housing prices.
They have a new WW 2 museum in Mohnton that I want to visit sometime. And I think they have a tank or artillery piece at a VFW post. Its been 10 years since I drove through there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania