U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 09:59 AM

31,441 posts, read 70,482,389 times

Advertisements

I mean I have wanderlust. I'm a total "Day Tripper", as The Beatles would sing.

With that being said I haven't driven us outside of Allegheny County for any reason since before the pandemic broke. I won't even drive us nearby to Beaver County, PA for donuts or down to Fayette County, PA to gaze upon a giant cross we like to admire.

A foray up to Erie County or Warren County or McKean County to hike or explore or get take-out from a local restaurant would be a good mental break. I'm just wondering if the locals in these "yellow" counties want we "outsiders" coming in and risking exposure to the virus in exchange for more tourism dollars coming into their communities to bolster their struggling economies, or if they'd like us to stay away.

If it wasn't for seeing how angry the people of Luzerne County are on Facebook about the "outsiders" coming in I never would have even thought about it from this perspective.

We're in a balancing act right now. Do we risk public health for the sake of the economy or do we risk the economy for the sake of public health? I'm in favor of risking the economy because the economy will ALWAYS (yes, ALWAYS) bounce back. It might take a few years (or a decade), but, yes it WILL rebound. Look at the Great Recession and the Great Depression. Big economic hit. Eventual big economic boom.

Public health, on the other hand? Well, last time I checked you can't raise the dead, so should we cause more people to lose their jobs in the short-run (jobs that they can eventually get back or find elsewhere) in order to save more lives (that can't be brought back), OR do we just say that "xxxx more people than necessary should die to save economic malaise?" Can you put a price tag on a human life?

I don't know. I have anxiety issues, so maybe I'm just overthinking things, but I don't want to leave my county unless those in the counties I plan to visit legitimately WANT my tourism dollars. Luzerne County residents obviously don't. I'm not sure how people in Northwestern and North Central PA feel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:18 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,274,545 times
SCR

What is funny or sad, depending on how you look at it, is that I think many people in Erie are not really concerned about the health issues related to the virus. They are more concerned about things getting shutdown again due to the virus numbers increasing above the government threshold. To be fair, there are still a good amount of reasonable people who are worried about the balance of the economy and the public health issues. With that being said, viewing the comments on the Erie Times Facebook page or any of the local news channels anecdotally demonstrates that many want everything open again. I was a bit surprised during my trip to Presque Isle yesterday because it just seemed like the pandemic was over and it was a normal, pretty nice day at the peninsula.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:46 AM

1,050 posts, read 649,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
More specifically we like heading up to Kane, Mt. Jewett, Bradford, and Warren. We do a lot of hiking and enjoy the local shops and restaurants. We'd be pumping hundreds of dollars into the local economy up there, but we're wondering if we'd face hostility a month from now for coming from a "red" county to a "yellow" (or maybe even "green" by that point) county?
I guess I don't understand this. My husband and I drove an hour this past Saturday to my sister's in South Jersey to do a drive-by birthday greeting. No border-type crossing where we were stopped and had to state our purpose. Is that really going on in some places? Because if it is, that is a massive violation of your civil rights, pandemic or not. They've ordered stores to close, etc. I get that. But if they start preventing the movement of people, they're going to have bigger problems on their hands.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
SCR

What is funny or sad, depending on how you look at it, is that I think many people in Erie are not really concerned about the health issues related to the virus. They are more concerned about things getting shutdown again due to the virus numbers increasing above the government threshold. To be fair, there are still a good amount of reasonable people who are worried about the balance of the economy and the public health issues. With that being said, viewing the comments on the Erie Times Facebook page or any of the local news channels anecdotally demonstrates that many want everything open again. I was a bit surprised during my trip to Presque Isle yesterday because it just seemed like the pandemic was over and it was a normal, pretty nice day at the peninsula.
This isn't unique by any means to Erie, though.

I saw a photo on Facebook showing that Central Park in Manhattan was PACKED on Saturday with people sunbathing pretty much on top of each other without wearing masks. As we all know NYC is, by far, the global epicenter of this virus at this point, too, so if people there are willing to throw caution into the wind due to feeling invincible, then obviously people in other states will also.

When this first broke one of our higher-up bosses came to convene a meeting to tell us that this was all going to be fake news/media panic. She told us that she didn't get Swine Flu, so none of us are going to get Coronavirus. Other offices in our building are paying their employees to stay home and have done so for almost two months now (whether they can actually telework or not, which has resulted in an awesome paid staycation for them). Meanwhile seven people in our organization have now tested positive, including one in our office. We weren't told about the positive case in our office until over a week after he tested positive.

I think there's people everywhere who see our ~70,000 American deaths and counting and think "fake numbers" or "can't happen to me."

In any event I think if we decide to visit Erie, Warren, and McKean Counties for our June vacation we'll wear masks when outside of our AirBNB or motel/hotel. We'll do take-out from local restaurants. We'll hike. We'll take pictures. We both have stressful essential jobs, and we're not flat-out "canceling" our vacation this year, as we need a mental break at some point.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I guess I don't understand this. My husband and I drove an hour this past Saturday to my sister's in South Jersey to do a drive-by birthday greeting. No border-type crossing where we were stopped and had to state our purpose. Is that really going on in some places? Because if it is, that is a massive violation of your civil rights, pandemic or not. They've ordered stores to close, etc. I get that. But if they start preventing the movement of people, they're going to have bigger problems on their hands.
There were publicized reports that some state governors were mandating that some visitors from other states self-quarantine for 14 days once they arrived in their states. How this was/is being enforced? I have no idea.

Our health secretary (Dr. RACHEL---not Richard as people on Pittsburgh's news organizations' social media pages call her---Levine) has said we can still travel WITHIN PA from county to county. I'm just making sure it's going to be widely socially acceptable for someone from Luzerne County (hot spot) to vacation in Sullivan County (not a hot spot) or for someone in Erie County (not a hot spot) to vacation in Montgomery County (hot spot). Are their fears of asymptomatic vacationers spreading the virus from Luzerne County to Sullivan County? Are their fears of healthy people from Erie County going to Montgomery County, contracting this, and then bringing it back to Erie County with them?

Old 05-04-2020, 01:13 PM

19,561 posts, read 12,017,027 times
I think at this point nobody knows. You might get some hostility; you will probably get some open arms. Those areas weren't too well off before everything closed.

Which side will dominate is impossible to say. You might ask the airbnb you've stayed at. They can and hopefully will give you an honest assessment.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:54 PM

35,599 posts, read 64,885,060 times
I don't have a dog in this current hunt because I live in Montgomery County and our Typhoid Mary behinds will be - or, more accurately, are supposed to be - at home for awhile yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This isn't unique by any means to Erie, though.
Not at all. Yesterday, the golf courses around Norristown were packed and I watched the cops break up a picnic in a park that had a very large "closed" sign at the entrance. The yellow caution tape strung among the trees has been long gone. A neighborhood playground was packed with kids. My neighbors have parties every weekend. Nobody seems to give a crap.

At this point, we should just all hope for lousy weather?

Quote:
Meanwhile seven people in our organization have now tested positive, including one in our office. We weren't told about the positive case in our office until over a week after he tested positive.
Wow, that's beyond irresponsible. I'm sorry to hear that your employer could be so callous.

Quote:
In any event I think if we decide to visit Erie, Warren, and McKean Counties for our June vacation we'll wear masks when outside of our AirBNB or motel/hotel. We'll do take-out from local restaurants. We'll hike. We'll take pictures.
I think you'll be fine. Just relax and enjoy and take the precautions you've indicated. If you go to Erie, say hi to the beach for me because my mom isn't letting anyone into her house - including me. LOL

Old 05-27-2020, 10:23 PM

1,498 posts, read 584,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'm also in a yellow county (Tioga).

I know some businesses will reopen with restrictions but haven't seen what specifically those restrictions are.

My concern is an influx of people ignoring the danger. It's still there.

Time will tell.
I'm in Fayette County (kind of near Pittsburgh) area, but I am truly amazed at the many people who go to stores, even with their children, and are not wearing masks. It's saddening, and maddening, but I am learning to look away from people who don't care about decency, because they can start fights.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:55 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,599,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I'm in Fayette County (kind of near Pittsburgh) area, but I am truly amazed at the many people who go to stores, even with their children, and are not wearing masks. It's saddening, and maddening, but I am learning to look away from people who don't care about decency, because they can start fights.
They are showing their loyalty to Dear Leader and looking away is a good idea. These aren`t nice people and some of them are armed.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:46 PM

1,498 posts, read 584,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
They are showing their loyalty to Dear Leader and looking away is a good idea. These aren`t nice people and some of them are armed.
Since I am by nature very outspoken, I really have to make sure I don't even look at those not wearing masks. Now here in Fayette County (I am near West Virginia) I just went shopping in WV and almost everyone in the Walmart was not wearing a mask. I had mine with me, and it was hot in the store (ac not on?) and I took my mask off, but then I saw a man and woman wearing a mask and I decided to put mine back on. Amazingly, the man wearing the mask said, "You don't have to put the mask on, this is America, and it's your right not to wear it." I was surprised but said, "I know, but I figure it's the right thing to do." So he continued that it's America, etc., we have freedom here. (But he was still wearing a mask.) And so finally I just said, "What? Yes, I know I don't have to wear it. I think it's right that I so I'm wearing it." (Even though I didn't have it on when I first walked on because -- it was hot -- and I would say 90% of the customers weren't wearing masks. Yes, it's America.)
Now it makes me realize -- it's going to be a long summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania