Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Sub-Forum(s) Should Be Added?
Pocono Mountains 11 32.35%
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton 8 23.53%
Central Susquehanna Valley 2 5.88%
Lehigh Valley 7 20.59%
Harrisburg 3 8.82%
Lancaster 2 5.88%
Erie 1 2.94%
York 3 8.82%
Laurel Highlands 2 5.88%
Other (Please Specify Below) 6 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:52 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow City-Data addicts and newbies alike! If the powers that be allow it, I'm considering volunteering to become moderator of the PA forum for the new year. As such, I was just wondering what, if any, additional sub-forums you all feel would be of use to this board so I could make the appropriate recommendations if and when I'm given that status? Please vote in this poll to make your voices heard, and elaborate below in a reply to argue your case. Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 11:08 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,955 times
I think Pittsburgh should be added.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I think Pittsburgh should be added.
Good morning, GoodGirl. Actually, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia already do have sub-forums. When you select PA from the state forum list, you'll see a small box of sub-forums on the next screen with these two cities ABOVE the list of threads. I'm taking this poll to see if there would be any sort of large demand for another part of the state for a sub-forum besides Pittsburgh and Philadelphia to make the general PA state forum better organized and less-cluttered.

Right now I have my own heart set on combining the Poconos and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton into a new "Northeastern Pennsylvania" sub-forum, as roughly a third of the inquiries on the general state forum seem to be concerned with the northeastern parts of the state. Creating a separate sub-forum just for this area will give prospective new residents their own place to look for information about this area without having to sift through the clutter on the general forum---These sub-forums have worked very well when utilized in other state forums with many cities that I have noticed, including CA and TX.

I just want to see where the "demand" is for a potential new sub-forum that I'd be able to recommend to the Administrator for creation and/or create myself if I become the state's moderator. I also don't know if there is any sort of "limit" to the number of sub-forums allotted per state; if there's no maximum, then I could alternately add as many as you all wanted.

So far, I think "Northeastern Pennsylvania" would be a good addition to the sub-forums. Any others? I was going to say Erie because it's so far isolated from the rest of the state, but I haven't really noticed many inquiries about Northwestern PA. I was also thinking of a "Central Pennsylvania" sub-forum that would include Williamsport, State College, Harrisburg, Sunbury, Lewisburg, Bloomsburg, Selinsgrove, Carlisle, etc.

Please let me know.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
I would actually think that NE PA and Lehigh Valley are both large enough to warrant their own forums.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:57 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,243 times
Happy New Year, ScrantonWilkesBarre! I vote for Pocono Mountains (or NE PA) as we are going to be building there soon. It would be most helpful not to have to sift through all the posts to find the ones specific to this region. Thanks for asking for input. I think you would make a great moderator. It seems to me like you are already an "unofficial moderator".

Old 12-27-2006, 03:05 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,955 times
Wink Oops, My Mistake!

Scranton Wilkes-Barre,

Yes, I apologize for not noticing that Pittsburgh has it's own sub-forum already. It's good that you have Erie down, and you are right about its relative isolation from the rest of the state. A suggestion may be to combine Erie and NW PA into one forum, which would include the rest of the region. There doesn't appear to be anywhere near the activity level in Western PA as there is in Eastern PA.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:58 PM

35 posts, read 78,464 times
Agree with a Lehigh Valley/Pocono merge sub forum

Old 12-27-2006, 04:05 PM

29 posts, read 133,266 times
I like the idea of Sub-Forums for each state and was disappointed to see only sub-forums for Philly & Pittsburgh. I would favor the additions of Northeastern PA (Scranton/WilkesBarre/Poconos), Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem), and Central PA (to cover the folks in Williamsport, Lewisburg, Sunbury, and surrounds). It might be beneficial to also group the Harrisburg and Lancaster area together. I'm really not in favor of having a bunch of cities listed although it's never nice to feel left out. As I've read through the forums it's great to find out something new about a community you have never visited or heard about. I also like to see the picture tours and hear about great restaurants, etc. Whatever happens, it should be the majority of the users deciding what places would be in highest demand. Since I'm new to this forum, I'm not sure who has the power, but I'll be watching!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:41 AM

Well, as of right now, there are 8 votes for the NEPA area, which includes Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton and the Pocono Mountains, and 4 votes for the Lehigh Valley. I think creating two new sub-forums "Northeastern Pennsylvania" and the "Lehigh Valley" would be the best option here as you truly can't lump together Easton with Scranton, for example, due to their geographic isolation. What do others think? Two new sub-forums, or should there be one that encompasses NEPA and the Lehigh Valley?

Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 AM

29 posts, read 133,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Well, as of right now, there are 8 votes for the NEPA area, which includes Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton and the Pocono Mountains, and 4 votes for the Lehigh Valley. I think creating two new sub-forums "Northeastern Pennsylvania" and the "Lehigh Valley" would be the best option here as you truly can't lump together Easton with Scranton, for example, due to their geographic isolation. What do others think? Two new sub-forums, or should there be one that encompasses NEPA and the Lehigh Valley?
In my opinion, I think NEPA and Lehigh Valley should be separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania