U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 09:06 AM

13,172 posts, read 31,872,726 times

Advertisements

This article explains PA property taxes very well: https://www.psecu.com/learn/financia...property-taxes

The majority of school income is from property tax, usually at least 75%. It's complicated.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 11:25 AM

214 posts, read 399,611 times
UPDATE:

After considering moving back to either PA or so. TX, we've decided to stay where we are.

The house I gave as an example actually sold within days but the property taxes are over $7,000 for that house.

I had contacted 3 different realtors in those areas outside the city and telling them what we were looking for and it could be within a 40 mile radius of that city. I never heard back from any of them, so I took that as a sign that the Good Lord was shutting that door for some reason only known to Him. We're OK with that. Our money certainly goes a lot farther here than it would there. Building is booming here and there are about 20 homes under construction in our golf community, which is about 20 miles from town. There hasn't been any building here for 25 years but most of the homes are retirement homes on the golf course and most of the people moving here are from CA. There is plenty of open land here so 20 homes aren't going to make a difference in being crowded. I think that, and the cost of a new home here, compared to what it costs in CA, is certainly appealing to people coming in. Our property taxes are around $1100/year Can't beat that these days.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:53 PM

427 posts, read 329,058 times
try using realtor.com you can get a list of the taxes on the specific property. Maybe try Erie county. I grew up in Summit Township . But other small communities are nice Wattsburg
area is nice.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:16 PM

23 posts, read 57,413 times
Yeah but it’s the school taxes that are killer. With no relief in sight.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:57 PM

229 posts, read 118,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
This article explains PA property taxes very well: https://www.psecu.com/learn/financia...property-taxes

The majority of school income is from property tax, usually at least 75%. It's complicated.
If I recall correctly local property taxes is under 50% (somewhere in the mid 40’s) of funding for schooling. State is the second highest and then federal is somewhere in between 12 to 18%. Granted poorer rural areas are slightly different.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:47 PM

6,356 posts, read 1,821,396 times
well one problem is lack of inventory. there are literally no homes for sale outside of 48 hours listing-> contingency

my clarion cty taxes are so low its a joke almost...I pay more for 2 months of cell phone than I do all year for property and school. yet somehow they get by...

Old 07-09-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
try using realtor.com you can get a list of the taxes on the specific property. Maybe try Erie county. I grew up in Summit Township . But other small communities are nice Wattsburg
area is nice.

We've been looking again and think we will relocate to Erie or maybe just a little outside Erie. I don't want to get too rural because we are at an age when we need to have access to doctors, dentists, etc. We've seen several houses we'd be interested in that are currently listed but we probably won't be able to make a move until next Spring/Summer. Hubby has to have a total knee done soon and then we'll be into Fall and definitely don't want to move in the winter.

There seems to be a lot more listings in the last month and I've been using realtor.com.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:23 PM

41,527 posts, read 54,102,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
well one problem is lack of inventory. there are literally no homes for sale outside of 48 hours listing-> contingency

my clarion cty taxes are so low its a joke almost...I pay more for 2 months of cell phone than I do all year for property and school. yet somehow they get by...
You have to be the only person from PA I ever heard say that their taxes are low, especially from Clarion County.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:56 PM

RetireinPa....

Ummmm....I just looked on realtor.com for Clarion, which I'm very familiar with since it's a college town and COL tends to be higher in college towns (like Meadville where we moved from)....the taxes on a 1200 SF house that's for sale is almost $2700. I wouldn't call that "dirt cheap". If you are homesteaded from way back when, then your taxes are probably cheaper but I doubt your claim of dirt cheap

Old 07-11-2021, 11:40 AM

41,527 posts, read 54,102,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
RetireinPa....

Ummmm....I just looked on realtor.com for Clarion, which I'm very familiar with since it's a college town and COL tends to be higher in college towns (like Meadville where we moved from)....the taxes on a 1200 SF house that's for sale is almost $2700. I wouldn't call that "dirt cheap". If you are homesteaded from way back when, then your taxes are probably cheaper but I doubt your claim of dirt cheap
You have to remember that most people in PA, if they had a tax bill of 2 cents, would complain it was too high and demand it be cut in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania