Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I find people like you and your friend amazing. You have a sense of entitlement to a high-paying job just because you graduated from college. NEWS FLASH: college degrees are dime-a-dozen anymore. You need more than a piece of paper to be handed a high-paying job.

You can't find a job at the drop of a hat, so you blame the area? Good riddance, we don't need people like you.

It seems the younger generation views the word WORK to be a four-letter word.
It was all those flag waving patriotic Americans that cried on September 11th, but buy foreign products that caused all the high paying jobs to leave. I can remember when high paying jobs were a dime a dozen to high school dropouts. Yes, life in America is so much better now... Even with a college education, you're still hard pressed to get a decent job. And where are all these decent jobs? In locations where the average home costs half a million or more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
It was all those flag waving patriotic Americans that cried on September 11th, but buy foreign products that caused all the high paying jobs to leave. I can remember when high paying jobs were a dime a dozen to high school dropouts. Yes, life in America is so much better now... Even with a college education, you're still hard pressed to get a decent job. And where are all these decent jobs? In locations where the average home costs half a million or more...
Depends on your major. If you go into art history, of course your gonna live in a cardboard box. If you choose something useful like engineering, law, medicine, you'll do a lot better.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:40 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Depends on your major. If you go into art history, of course your gonna live in a cardboard box. If you choose something useful like engineering, law, medicine, you'll do a lot better.
Yes I understand your point, but mine was that thirty - forty years ago nothing was out of reach for the working class high school drop out. A college education in specific fields isn't well within the reach of the average person.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 10,384 times
Default conneaut lake

i lived in many places in my life 7 states and over 40 towns i was lucky enough to spend 3 yrs in pa 2 of them in conneaut lake man i loved going to the park and riding the blue streak then hanging out at the beach in the winter we would ice skate on the lake 1974 - 1976 it was and still is the best place i have ever lived

Old 03-16-2008, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Yes I understand your point, but mine was that thirty - forty years ago nothing was out of reach for the working class high school drop out. A college education in specific fields isn't well within the reach of the average person.
I beg to differ. I graduated from HS 40 yrs ago. Even then, it was advantageous to have a HS education to work in the mills. In a few years, it all came crashing down in the steel industry. Anyone w/o an education was up s*** creek. A college education can be obtained by borrowing money, which most people think nothing of doing to buy a car.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM

41 posts, read 143,630 times
Come to clearfield county if you want to see depressing - this is the "black hole." Industries have been moving out of here since the late 70's - early 80's and haven't come back. You are lucky if you can a little above min. wage here. I'm glad we are selling our home and moving west.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 20,805 times
you should see warren..if it`s not raining it`s snowing. ever try getting a lawn mower through wet grass and mud?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 AM

19 posts, read 81,669 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by imright View Post
Just wanna know what you think.
I think Pennsylvania is fantastic. Perfect no, but it is exactly where I want to be and I am happy to be here!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:00 AM

19 posts, read 81,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I beg to differ. I graduated from HS 40 yrs ago. Even then, it was advantageous to have a HS education to work in the mills. In a few years, it all came crashing down in the steel industry. Anyone w/o an education was up s*** creek. A college education can be obtained by borrowing money, which most people think nothing of doing to buy a car.
Pennsylvania State Colleges go back and forth between being the number 1 or number 2 most expensive state schools in the country to attend. PA has a brain drain period. Schools here are out of reach for the average family and we don't tax pensions (one of only 4 states who don't). So the majority of people coming into the state are retirees.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
solancogirl,
Where did you get that from, that the majority of people coming into the state are retirees? I understand not moving away from PA after they retire but I've never heard of PA as a destination spot for new retirees.

PSU is expensive, but the real state schools (West Chester, Kutztown, Mansfield, etc) are very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania