Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Please check out 6th street, very cool and lots of bars!
My husband went to UT, so he has very fond memories of Austin. My sister went to Southwestern Univ. in Georgetown, and that is a fun place as well. Great area with lots to do! Also, will be cooler in the winter than Houston, perhaps a snowfall or two; although lookout for black ice.
Please let me know if you need info about the area, I would love to help!
We have black ice up here too in PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 AM

347 posts, read 1,149,878 times
I don't find a single area in Pennsylvania depressing. Each area is unique and fasinating. The perseption that an area is depressing is only because someone dwells on the negatives and doesn't look at the big picture.

Heres an example.
Girardville PA is a dying coal town with a run down and vacant downtown. The housing quality is poor and the streets are dirty, but there is more to its image. Girardville has a rich history. The people, the industry, and the culture all are captivating. One of the best things to do is to hike around the old mining sites and learn about them. Another fun thing to do is to walk around the older cemetaries and learn about the people from a century ago. I do not find any of this depressing.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,878 times
Although I will say that the dying state of many Pennsylvanian towns is sad. It is unfortunate.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,979 times
Currently live in the sunny south but soon (summer) i'll be moving to the erie, edenboro albion area...looking forward to the change.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremontpa View Post
I don't find a single area in Pennsylvania depressing. Each area is unique and fasinating. The perseption that an area is depressing is only because someone dwells on the negatives and doesn't look at the big picture.

Heres an example.
Girardville PA is a dying coal town with a run down and vacant downtown. The housing quality is poor and the streets are dirty, but there is more to its image. Girardville has a rich history. The people, the industry, and the culture all are captivating. One of the best things to do is to hike around the old mining sites and learn about them. Another fun thing to do is to walk around the older cemetaries and learn about the people from a century ago. I do not find any of this depressing.
A few years back I remember talking to the borough secretary in Girardville. Seems she married a coalie rather than grew up there, and she said she was fascinated by the arguments her extended in-laws got into about whose great-grandfather was a bigger goon for the companies or the Molly Maguires.

But if Girardville's not depressing, what about Gilberton?

Old 03-29-2009, 06:48 AM

13 posts, read 50,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatito27 View Post
I Live In Fl; I'm Planning To Move Either To Pa Or Ny (queens Or Li), I Would Like Some Advice. I've Been Teaching Spanish For 9 Years Now And Possess An M.a. In This Field. Where Could I Get A Good Salary But At The Same Time Find Affordable Housing? Thanks,
My hometown of Carlisle still has some of the charms I remember: affordability and access to the country, yet it is a college town with a decent intellectual life and a good school system (in which my mother taught for 15 or so years). My husband and I have chosen this area to return to in retirement after too many years in the city. The locals feel the best school system in that immediate area these days is the Cumberland Valley system.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,197 times
Not at all!! The Appalachians are beautiful. Man has tried pretty hard to wreck these mountains in certain parts of the state, but has never quite succeeded. Most of PA definitely deserves to be called "Penn's Woods", IMO!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,789 times
I completely agree with this! I have lived in many cities and this is by far the hardest to deal with. I can't wait to leave here. I would not recommend anyone to move to Harrisburg, PA, especially if you are moving alone and are in you 20's.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:39 PM

160 posts, read 639,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg398 View Post
I completely agree with this! I have lived in many cities and this is by far the hardest to deal with. I can't wait to leave here. I would not recommend anyone to move to Harrisburg, PA, especially if you are moving alone and are in you 20's.
I live in suburban (East Shore) Harrisburg area, and there are other forum regulars in the area as well. Please let us know if there is anything we can help with -- I can recommend all kinds of services/businesses except apartments and bars.

Your post took me by surprise because I've read so many comments here about how Harrisburg is like heaven on earth for party loving 20-somethings. I do know that people in this area network very selectively (translation: they can be xenophobic and clique-ish, in some groups racism and sexism are still cool and accepted behaviors), and there are lots of people working overtime to convince themselves they are East Coast hipsters. Whatever you do, don't tell them you didn't think they were here visiting from Brooklyn...and here only to invest in converting warehouses into lofts and art spaces.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:15 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg398 View Post
That's ashame. I'm in my 20's, live in Midtown and have a great circle of friends. There is a very strong young professionals group here. If you need any help with the area or need to know where to go, send me a pm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania