Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM

18 posts, read 46,868 times

Advertisements

I've lived in PA my whole life (in my early teens) and traveled most of the country. What I've learned, is that my county (Adams) seems to be very different than many others in PA, many times when or go further north, east, or west i always run into this hillbilly family that doesn't know the heck of what their talking about (just kidding :P). And I've always thought the people where I am are very friendly, BUT most of the young ones at school DO tend to put people down as a joke :/ but I've always thought that applies everywhere? Anyways, the Amish farmers usually know what their doing; but USUALLY the hillbilly's are the ones where you see a John Deere pinwheel align along their driveway and a few rusty pick-up trucks in their backyard typically mean that its a hillbilly. BUT, i do not think Pennsylvania is depressing (at least Adams County), the weather isn't that bad , where I am, its right along the edge of the Appalachians, so its ALWAYS sunnier here than in other parts of Pennsylvania (because the western mountains make the storms rain; then they build back up again in the east). I have relatives in Elmira, NY (that place gives me the chills) and the drive is in fact, gloomy; its really freaky because it DOES seem to get depressing near Harrisburg and northward. Those towns are really scary x.x . Adams county is where Gettysburg is, so really, everyone is trying really hard to keep it perfect for the tourists, and it IS working, personally, I think its the best county in PA, mountains to the west, and umb, flatter land to the east . I am actually shocked to see that the income levels of this county aren't in the top 100. (must be 101 lol) .How can a 'wall' of mountains (maybe not the people out west) next to rolling hills on a sunny day be depressing; its not like you're stuck in a secluded valley with a coal powerplant with pollution clogging up anything here

~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 AM

167 posts, read 354,200 times
You will not experience such a fine balance of all four seasons anywhere other than PA. And such a fine balance of geographical characteristics as exists in PA.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:46 PM

209 posts, read 607,062 times
Politically, yes. Economically, yep. I think so. Also hate the winters, gray and cold.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM

PS_ I agree about Adams county. More interesting, cleaner, nicer, and a bit more diverse due to tourism.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
Pimps, I got tired of the second-rate pittsburgh nightlife a long time ago. As for Football, I'm SO SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT THE STEELERS, LOOKING AT THE UGLY BLOW-UP STEELER DOLLS IN PEOPLE'S FRONT LAWNS, BIG BEN DID THIS, BIG BEN DID THAT, BIG BEN'S CRAP HAD A SLIGHT YELLOW TINT THIS MORNING, ON AND ON AND ON.....

Meanwhile people do NOTHING about these horrible roads, millions of tax dollars are about to be spent on yet MORE SPORTS RELATED s%it (tunnel so that steeler fans can now walk under the river to Heinz field), the list goes on and on.

Excuse me, I just threw up....oh look, good thing I just had coffee and cheese...now my puke is black and gold!

So I take it you do not like the SteelersWow, you should clean up the puke with your Terrible Towel then wash it down with an Iron City.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 PM

All I can say is Go Steelers.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
You will not experience such a fine balance of all four seasons anywhere other than PA. And such a fine balance of geographical characteristics as exists in PA.
I grew up in SE PA 30 minutes south of Philly and now I live in Northern DE. Although now I'm only about 45 minutes from where I grew up I miss home.I've gone to Lycoming County every year deer hunting with my Dad since I was 12,that makes 25 years at my advanced age.The northern and central counties of Pa are beautiful all year,especially in the fall. I've also never met an ignorant person in any of those areas.

The downside of this area I'd say Philly down to D.C was this past years weather.The rain started in March and never let up until Oct.I swear it seemed like every other weekend was a washout. All the little towns in the area had record rainfall or near it.Temperature wise it didn't get out of the 60s till May. For some reason in this area we usually don't get 70s, the Spring goes from 60 to 80 really quick.This winter has been a nightmare of snow and cold temps,much like the rain of the Summer the snow has come down in record amounts.

I used to love the seasons but this past year has me thinking about Florida,my wife who can't stand the heat has had enough.I remember last August there was one week that the sun stayed hidden for about 5 days,add that to the gray days of winter,and this was one brutal year for weather. Of course I realize this weather isn't normal and I'm not leaving the area but this past year was depressing.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Just remember in Florida you only get one season. No autumn splendor either. I think I'd sooner be dead than in Florida.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:06 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
Just remember in Florida you only get one season. No autumn splendor either. I think I'd sooner be dead than in Florida.

Believe it or not we do have an Autumn. Not like in the north. But it is still pleasant. Some of the leaves do change. The sad thing is, back north, that once Autumn was over the cold, snowy and cloudy days appeared. It was very depressing. We live in Florida and would rather that than be "dead". We lived in PA and OH. Must admit we miss OH more. Still stayed a Steeler fan, even a Pirates fan . We have a lot of good memories of Ohio and PA. But still very happy in FL.

Go Steeler...Pirates too. oh, wait...Penquins as well.

But..Go Buckeyes! Sorry PA people we ended up becoming Buckeye fans when we moved to OH 11 years ago. Now in FL we find it hard to become Gator fans

Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Actually, seconded. I live in Georgia now and find the weather more agreeable as well. We have four square seasons, just that fall and spring are much longer than PA. Winter is perfect--about six weeks. IT does get cold here, in the thirties, and it did snow. It's just...shorter. And one heck of a lot more sunshine. But we get leaves changing, spring, all the same things. Actually, it's like PA, but better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania