Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2007, 11:06 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
I find people like you and your friend amazing. You have a sense of entitlement to a high-paying job just because you graduated from college. NEWS FLASH: college degrees are dime-a-dozen anymore. You need more than a piece of paper to be handed a high-paying job.

You can't find a job at the drop of a hat, so you blame the area? Good riddance, we don't need people like you.

It seems the younger generation views the word WORK to be a four-letter word.
Newswatch 16 News Flash, actually I got a job right out of college in PA, a high paying one too. I don't have one of those "dime a dozen" degrees you mentioned. I left a longtime ago for greener pastures and never looked back. It's my friend, a PA native who couldn't find a job anywhere in the state upon graduation, must have been his "dime a dozen degree"? Funny he went to California for a job and is making big money and is very happy. He always told me people from that part of the state are a little strange, I met his uncle once who is from Hazleton and he was a Ted (The Unabomber) Kaczynski type, very smart but very strange and his name ended in "ski" too

No, we aren't kids, I remember watching Nolan Johannes and Joe Zone on WNEP TV, if that dates me lol.

I'm glad I'm out of PA, I miss things about it, the natural parts of the state that are out of "Coal Country" but I don't miss some of the people and the mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterlargodude View Post
HAHA YOU must be politically connected in your little micro pennsylvania government world! Thats how it works in PA you drink or hang out with the right people you get the big county or state job. The civil service in Pa is an utter joke and a failure, go get tested for metal toxicity or something because PA is ruined from the pathetic Coal Burning Cogeneration Plants.
Your hit the nail right on the head, if you want a State job and have no connections, you better get yourself a nice pair of knee pads.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
And Nick Saban wasn't too thrilled with Florida. Cowher obviously liked it here enough to stick around a long time. What's your point?

The last time I was in Florida, the beaches were full of wrinkled old ladies and old men in speedos. Give me the Jersey beaches anyday.
Your hanging out at the wrong beach, I think you got Harvey's Lake or one of those imitation beaches in PA mixed up. Visit South Beach sometime

Old 01-06-2007, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 8,356 times
For The Record Pa Is Not Depressing And Also I Am Not Fake. Im Sick Of People Saying Im Phony Here. For The Record Pa Is Not Depressing What Are You Talking About We Have The Bset Sports Venues And Colleges And Food I Could Ever Dream Of In The World. World Class Town And Class Act People. Only Thing Bringiging Us Down Are Jerks Around Here Trying To Say Bad **** About The Greateset Renasanse City In America! The Weathers Fine Here No Kidding What Did You Expect To Have Up North No Snow And Sunshine Year Round. Travel How Ever Thousand Miles All The Way To North Carolina If You Want That Kind Of Thing. I Bet North Carolina Probably Dont Have Too Many Steeler Fans And They Dont Have Steelers Way Down There! He He He. Well Mabey Now They Got Cohwer But Big Deal We Still Got A Ok Roster For 2008 So I Smell One For The Thumb..on The Other Hand! Thats Right We Are In The Elite For Football In America Some Pepole Might Think Thats Unconsiquential But Here In Pittsburgh We Blead Black And Gold Baby~! Theres No Compare To This City In The Entire United States Of America I Dont Care Where You Come From If You Come Here With That Bad Kind Of Thought About Pittsburgh Sure You Will Probly Think Its No Good But Thats Just Becoase Your Not A Tried And True Born And Raised Member Of The Steeler Nation Baby~! Did I Forget To Mention That Many Famous Stars Are From This 'depressing'' City As Well. Sharon Stone Michael Keton Donny Iris Fabian And A Bunch Of Others Probly. Get Off The Back Of The Greatest City In The World And Stop Abusing The Internet For Making Fun Of My City.the Only Thing You Pepoloe Are Doing Is Acting Like A Bunce Of Cry Babys And Bashing The Greatest City In The History Of Earth And I Think In The Universal World Too. Why You Have To Make Fun Of This Place Love It Or Leave It Get Out Who Needs Ya Go Steelers

Old 01-06-2007, 12:19 PM

29 posts, read 195,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imright View Post
Just wanna know what you think.
I live in CA with 10 months of sunshine a year and that is depressing to some people, including myself - I like to have a little weather with my climate. I will be moving back to PA in Feb. and I was born/raised in Pittsburgh and yeah, anywhere can be depressing depending on your attitude. Regarding living in PA, I have never felt depressed, ever. I am looking forward to moving back!

Old 01-06-2007, 01:10 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
Again, I am at a loss as to what turboredcart and now xanadu just said.
They're both correct.

Did you ever hear of Edward Bernays?

Old 01-06-2007, 02:34 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsinlife View Post
Another thing about PA its like impossible getting a job in ones field! Try Teaching for example. I live in the Philly area and I just graduated with a Masters in education from Temple and its like impossible; You have to be into politics here. I could move to Florida, Arizona or Nevada and get a job tommorrow and the rent appears cheaper than say like in Philly, Allentown or Harrisburg. I could see why all of these 20 somethings are leaving.
\

I wouldn't hire a teacher (with a master's degree, no less) who writes phrases such as "it's like impossible getting a job in one's field!" It's bad enough to hear supposedly educated people using the word "like" as an inane space-filler, but putting it in writing is even worse.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:48 PM

29 posts, read 195,901 times
Quote:
how come 70 percent of the 20 somethings are leaving-
Are you referring to them leaving PA or leaving CA? If you are referring to PA, I would guess probably for the same reason I left in my 20's - the illusion of a better life. I was easily influenced in High School in the late 70's, and being a "Deadhead" (Grateful Dead) then, California was calling to me, actully, yelling to me to "go west young man", and so that is what I did. I am now 48 and have had a lot of great experiences in CA, but now I think about my family all the time. You know how it is, when you are young and rebellious, you want to get as far from familiarity as possible. Now that I am older and a tad more wiser, I want that back. True, it may not be for everyone, but I'm ready to go back "home".

Old 01-06-2007, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 8,356 times
Quote:
what a joke give me a break buddy,,u said the steelers about 50 times if thats the only good thing in pa thats pretty sad
HEY BUD WATCH YOUR MOUTH ABOUT MY TEAM! THE STEELERS JUST SO HAPPEN TO BE THE CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD IN CASE YOU NEVER NOTICD.WHO DO YOU HAVE DOWN THERE IN CALIFORNA THE 49ERS AND RAIDERS GIMMIE A BREAK WHO DEY?YOUR TALKING **** ON A CITY FORGED FROM THE BLOOD SWEAT ANT TEARS OF THE GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF PLANET EARTH. I DEFY YOU TO TRY AND TELL ME DIFFRENT. I HOPE ANOTHER HURRICAIN WASHES AWAY THE 49ERS FOREVER HAVE FUN LIVING DOWN THERE WITH YOUR PALM TREES AND STUPID ALLIGATOR. YOUR TOO SOFT FOR THE MIGHTY CITY OF IRON STEEL AND BLACK AND GOLD BABY. STEELER NATION ALL THE WAY WE BELIEVE BABY! WE BLEED BLACK AND GOLD IN THESE PARTS HAVE FUN PANSIE RAIDER FAN HERE WE GO-STTLERS-HERE WE GO----PITTSBURGHS GOIN TO THE SUPER BOWEL!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 03:12 PM

24 posts, read 145,337 times
Quote:
california is expensive but still better than pa- -pa is down right joke in all most all aspects
In what respects? Its a state like any other. Its no more joke of a state than Ohio or New Jersey. There are jobs here, there is wealth here, there are good sports teams here like in any other state.

The Main Line area surrounding Philadelphia is one of the richest in the nation with historic houses, mansions, and horse farm properties and the biggest mall on the east coast.

Pittsburgh has great historic neighborhoods, home to corporations, great sports, cool hangout areas, some nice suburbs, and is a pretty area with all the hills and mountains.

We have Gettysburg, Penn State, Lancaster/Amish country, and a wide array of outdoor stuff like skiing, whitewater rafting (class 4 and 5 rapids in Western PA), mountain biking, and sports leagues everywhere for adults and kids. If you want a beach we don't have it. If you want perfect weather we don't have it. There are some blighted areas and a huge part of the state is rural and "underdeveloped" (or to some people developed just to the right point.)

Prices are less than California. People can afford a home here with the exception of the Main Line or maybe Fox Chapel in Western PA where you need a little bit more money to open the door to the house just like anywhere else. 500K doesnt buy you a gang warfare house in Compton. It gets you a 3 bedroom rancher in a great school district or a 4 bedroom colonial in a pretty decent school district.

What I dont like is-- high cost of tuition for in-state schools, lack of economic growth/job opportunities in many parts of the state, and the unfriendlyness/pushiness of the Philadelphia area. Also Philly area is pretty expensive. Temple grad would probably make a little bit less money as a teacher in say Pittsburgh but she could sure live nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania