Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2021, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,431 times

Advertisements

Found this forum and hoping to get some advice.

I have a daughter who will be working at Burlington in NJ in the near future. She's going to be relocating from Upstate NY (Rochester area) to either PA or NJ. But I think she really is leaning toward PA.

Just looking for some suggestions of places/areas to check out. Basically, I know she's looking for a modern area with lots of things to do within close distance like restaurants, bars, etc. I think she's sort of been looking at Philly area suburbs but not sure if that's ideal or not.

She'll basically be looking for nice apartments to stay in that provides ability to travel to Burlington NJ a couple days a week (probably by car) and NYC a couple days a week (probably by train). I know her preference is to find a safer, gated community but not sure if that will be possible. It's probably key to have some easy train access though.

I know one place high on her list is the Manayuck area as she likes the vibe there. Not sure how practical that is with the commutes she'll have though.

I've also heard somebody mention Ambler as an area to possibly check out but know nothing about that either.

I personally think it would make more sense for her to try and get closer to her NJ/NYC commutes than Manayuck/Ambler. Does she really want to spend a couple hours to/from NYC on a train? And I'm guessing the drive in a car to Burlington NJ will end up being close to an hour each way with traffic. If it were me, I think I'd be looking more toward northern NJ just to make the commutes easier but I'm not familiar with any of the areas at all so really no idea.

Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions of modern/trendy/upscale areas or even neighborhoods to check out in PA for somebody that needs to commute to Burlington NJ & NYC (Penn Station).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 01:26 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,851 times
If she likes Manayunk, have her look into Northern Liberties or Fishtown. Both are pricier but she will like them if she likes Manayank. They are on the other side of town and will be fairly easy commutes to Burlington. Its also a straight shot up 95 to the Trenton NJ Transit station that goes to Penn Station (there might be other NJ Transit options that I am not familiar with. I just use the Trenton station when I go to NYC).

If she wants something more along the lines of Ambler, there other options to the east that will make commuting better such as Doylestown, Newtown and Yardley. Nothing wrong with Manayunk (lived there for 7 years) or Ambler but she can find similar qualities to the east, making her commute easier.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 4,431 times
That's good stuff. Appreciate the reply!

Northern Liberties looks pretty interesting to me. I think she's just after that sort of trendy vibe with some cool hangout spots with restaurants, bars, etc but at the same time won't be too far from Philly, NYC, Burlington & NYC.

THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
If she likes Manayunk, have her look into Northern Liberties or Fishtown. Both are pricier but she will like them if she likes Manayank. They are on the other side of town and will be fairly easy commutes to Burlington. Its also a straight shot up 95 to the Trenton NJ Transit station that goes to Penn Station (there might be other NJ Transit options that I am not familiar with. I just use the Trenton station when I go to NYC).

If she wants something more along the lines of Ambler, there other options to the east that will make commuting better such as Doylestown, Newtown and Yardley. Nothing wrong with Manayunk (lived there for 7 years) or Ambler but she can find similar qualities to the east, making her commute easier.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthy22 View Post
Found this forum and hoping to get some advice.

I have a daughter who will be working at Burlington in NJ in the near future. She's going to be relocating from Upstate NY (Rochester area) to either PA or NJ. But I think she really is leaning toward PA.

Just looking for some suggestions of places/areas to check out. Basically, I know she's looking for a modern area with lots of things to do within close distance like restaurants, bars, etc. I think she's sort of been looking at Philly area suburbs but not sure if that's ideal or not.

She'll basically be looking for nice apartments to stay in that provides ability to travel to Burlington NJ a couple days a week (probably by car) and NYC a couple days a week (probably by train). I know her preference is to find a safer, gated community but not sure if that will be possible. It's probably key to have some easy train access though.

I know one place high on her list is the Manayuck area as she likes the vibe there. Not sure how practical that is with the commutes she'll have though.

I've also heard somebody mention Ambler as an area to possibly check out but know nothing about that either.

I personally think it would make more sense for her to try and get closer to her NJ/NYC commutes than Manayuck/Ambler. Does she really want to spend a couple hours to/from NYC on a train? And I'm guessing the drive in a car to Burlington NJ will end up being close to an hour each way with traffic. If it were me, I think I'd be looking more toward northern NJ just to make the commutes easier but I'm not familiar with any of the areas at all so really no idea.

Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions of modern/trendy/upscale areas or even neighborhoods to check out in PA for somebody that needs to commute to Burlington NJ & NYC (Penn Station).
Given what you are saying here I think it makes a lot more sense to live in central NJ, somewhere along the NJ Transit line between Phiadelphia and NYC. Sure NJ is expensive but so is Manayuck. Why would you live in Philadelphia and have to deal with Philly traffic on the Schuylkill Expressway, and also don't forget the tolls crossing back & forth between NJ and PA. I say find a place in central NJ - perhaps New Brunswick area.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,654 times
I'd look into the Princeton area. Easy train to NYC, can drive to Burlington and it's a cool college town. Basically, she should live off the NE Corridor train line.

I'd rule out the PA burbs of Philly, but she could live in Center City (although she'd have to pay for monthly parking and Amtrak instead of NJ Transit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania