U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,741 posts, read 4,163,336 times
Reputation: 834

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZZD123 View Post
Hi Jimmy, I agree whole heartedly about everything you said about the people in Lancaster, and the surrounding areas. I moved to Lititz about 10 years ago, for about the first two years everything seemed to be pretty cool, but the more I got out and started socializing with the local people in this area I begin to see the bigotry, and not being accepted, and how it affected other people both the black, white, Latinos and Chinese that moved here from different parts of the country, such as Chicago, New York, New Jersey, California and from Philly. I begin to have a personality change, and not for the good, and I also began to see personality changes in others. So let's not make excuses for these people, there is something drastically and socially wrong with this place, and the surrounding areas. Also I forgot to mention, there is a lot of inbreeding going on, cousins marrying cousins, and a high degree of cancer in this area, and the surrounding areas, especially among the locals. I really started to research this place, and about the people, I began to talk to other people not from this area, and begin to see that it was in the culture of the people German Dutch, and Mennonites. It seemed to be all about the culture, and religion. Now I see why the Mennonites got kick out of Germany,and came to America, the 30 year religious wars over in Germany, and the German government couldn't stand the Mennonites and kick them out, they are hardheaded people. I'm glad to see that there are other people out there ,who see what I see.
You made some interesting points, Jazzd. It's funny but I've never had any issues with the Mennonites here. I don't live near any of them but the ones who operate the local stores are friendly. It's the other people who are ignorant and paranoid. Most of my neighbors own guns and there's always a story going around that someone spotted a Spanish American trying to break into someone's home, yet there is never a police report on any incident. I guess it makes good conversation at the deck parties. It makes the men sound tough when they claim they chased "tem people" off, as minorities are usually referred to as here. Go into any large business here and you won't need a second hand to count the number of minority employees. How they get away with the blatant discrimination is beyond me.

Last edited by lititzman2003; 01-31-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
 
53 posts, read 81,566 times
Reputation: 49
Thanks JAZZD123. I live in Lancaster PA & it has by far the strangest & scariest people. By scary I mean the way they look @ you when they detect your accent. They want NOTHING to do with outsiders; very cold people. Complete lack of basic social skills. Not a warm & friendly place to live if your family has not been here for 500 years & your last name is not German.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Philly
10,147 posts, read 15,927,390 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna113 View Post
Thanks JAZZD123. I live in Lancaster PA & it has by far the strangest & scariest people. By scary I mean the way they look @ you when they detect your accent. They want NOTHING to do with outsiders; very cold people. Complete lack of basic social skills. Not a warm & friendly place to live if your family has not been here for 500 years & your last name is not German.
my parents have found that the bars where the working people hang out are far more friendly (tradesmen, farmers, etc) than the middle class places which tend to have more close minded people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,741 posts, read 4,163,336 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna113 View Post
Thanks JAZZD123. I live in Lancaster PA & it has by far the strangest & scariest people. By scary I mean the way they look @ you when they detect your accent. They want NOTHING to do with outsiders; very cold people. Complete lack of basic social skills. Not a warm & friendly place to live if your family has not been here for 500 years & your last name is not German.
There are SOME here who experience hearing loss when you're handing them money!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
 
53 posts, read 81,566 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
There are SOME here who experience hearing loss when you're handing them money!
Thanks so much for saying that! For quite a while after I moved here I thought I was the only one to notice that. When I first moved here I went to a big supermarket/dairy here on Oregon Pike. They had advertised chickens on sale but I could not find any. I asked an employee with a white handkerchief-type thing on her head for some help finding the sale chickens. Well she gave me a song & dance but never did answer me directly so I went home sans chicken. Few weeks later I decided to give this place a second chance. This time steak was on sale; could not find any. Asked for help, got another song & dance & I have never gone back there since. I may not have a lot to spend but I am not spending my money there. I feel very badly that I moved here; I had absolutely no idea what it was like. In all fairness though I must admit that even if I had ever been told these things it would have been hard to believe. The people here are so awful & I don't know why...I was living here only about 3 wks. & in that time we had 2 very bad thunderstorms with some minor damage & a gas leak which was attended to promptly. My neighbor looked me right in the eye & said "These things NEVER happened before YOU got here!" Wish I could afford to move. I feel so badly. Thanks again, I appreciate your comment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,741 posts, read 4,163,336 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna113 View Post
Thanks so much for saying that! For quite a while after I moved here I thought I was the only one to notice that. When I first moved here I went to a big supermarket/dairy here on Oregon Pike. They had advertised chickens on sale but I could not find any. I asked an employee with a white handkerchief-type thing on her head for some help finding the sale chickens. Well she gave me a song & dance but never did answer me directly so I went home sans chicken. Few weeks later I decided to give this place a second chance. This time steak was on sale; could not find any. Asked for help, got another song & dance & I have never gone back there since. I may not have a lot to spend but I am not spending my money there. I feel very badly that I moved here; I had absolutely no idea what it was like. In all fairness though I must admit that even if I had ever been told these things it would have been hard to believe. The people here are so awful & I don't know why...I was living here only about 3 wks. & in that time we had 2 very bad thunderstorms with some minor damage & a gas leak which was attended to promptly. My neighbor looked me right in the eye & said "These things NEVER happened before YOU got here!" Wish I could afford to move. I feel so badly. Thanks again, I appreciate your comment.
Wow! You're an "outsider" and possibly a witch, too!

I can't believe someone would say that to you. There have been weather issues here long before you arrived so your neighbor may be demented.
If I've learned anything since we moved here is that you must be able to live here without expecting help from a neighbor. I've also discovered that decison making skills are somewhat laxed. The term "thank you" is scarce as well. You will eventually find a connection with someone so try to hang in there.

I know the market you're referring to and I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience there. I've found Stauffer's to be a good place to shop. Prices are alittle higher then Giants but the selection is better and the service is great. I've never gotten an attitude from anyone there. Also, consider Hoover's Farm Market in Rothsville for veggies, fruit and flowers. They close during the winter but worth your ride.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Philly
10,147 posts, read 15,927,390 times
Reputation: 2878
what about roots?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 03:36 AM
 
18 posts, read 56,170 times
Reputation: 29
Default Don't do it!

Lititzman,

Thanks for keeping the threads here alive! I finally got out of Lancaster County for a lesser paying job in Western PA but I am profoundly happier with my people surroundings. After ten years as an outsider, it feels good to feel like I can breathe again literally and figuratively (breathing methane clouds is not for me) . It amazes me what a horrible microcosm parts of Central PA can be...

The German heritage people here are nothing like Lancaster as they are much more warm and inviting...probably has to do with lots of Polish, Irish, and Italian mix as well. As a single transplant guy in Lancaster with no close family in town, I started to fall into a deep depression and self-consciousness of my own self worth with the way I was treated in the Lanc. County.

I remember when a black friend of mine came into town from Philly and we went to the local Giant supermarket in Centerville...the looks and stares they gave her would stop time. They way they were watching was creepy. Later that weekend we were playing music in the house (note: I live some distance from the other houses in the neighborhood and have never had an issue with loud music) and someone called the police for "excessive noise". She couldn't believe the obvious ignorance and fear from the locals with her first time in Lancaster.

I hope this forum reaches others who are deciding on relocation to this area and take our stories to heart. If you enjoy fellowship and friendship without a membership card...look elsewhere. There's so much more out there and life is too short to waste on this heap of cow dung...trust me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
 
53 posts, read 81,566 times
Reputation: 49
Thanks to everyone for making me feel better. This place is still the place that time forgot & still should be called Ignorantville or Creepytown, but at least I know it was not only me noticing this crap. Sure wish I had found this website sooner. I will stop being kind & polite to these people; it was a waste of effort on my part & they do not deserve it anyway. Even though it may not happen I am going to make it my mission to look around at other places to call home. It will give me some hope, & nothing wrong with that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,741 posts, read 4,163,336 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna113 View Post
Thanks to everyone for making me feel better. This place is still the place that time forgot & still should be called Ignorantville or Creepytown, but at least I know it was not only me noticing this crap. Sure wish I had found this website sooner. I will stop being kind & polite to these people; it was a waste of effort on my part & they do not deserve it anyway. Even though it may not happen I am going to make it my mission to look around at other places to call home. It will give me some hope, & nothing wrong with that.
If I may Donna, don't lower yourself to anyone's level. Continue to be the good person you are and better things will happen for you. I'm really not sure if the people are any better in other towns in Lancaster County. I can only judge the people I've met in Lititz. I still say "please" and "thank you" and hold doors for others and I won't stop because the environment I'm in promotes ignorance. I've gotten so many headaches by shaking my head in disgust here that I buy Aleve by the case full.

It just goes to show that no matter how much research you do on the Internet you really don't know a town until you live there, and at that point, it's usually too late.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top