Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 02:56 PM

13 posts, read 15,740 times

Advertisements

I've been looking to purchase a home in Chester County, particularly along the Amtrak line as I'll be commuting a couple of days a week to Center City Philadelphia. This is to be my retirement home, and I'll be working another 7 years or so. My brother, already retired, will be living with me.

There isn't much inventory out there so I'm wondering if it's time to expand my search area a little, and there seems to be a lot of the type of houses I would like to buy in Lancaster and the surrounding area. It certainly makes my commute rather less convenient, but that won't be forever (and I'm working a hybrid schedule at the moment anyway...hopefully that will continue).

The problem is, I'm not at all familiar with the area. Are there any areas that should be avoided due to crime or just that it's not worth buying real estate there? Any areas in particular that stand out?

I saw a seriously cute house (too small, though, and since sold) in a neighborhood called Grandview Heights. Is that a good area, up and coming, on its way out? Is the neighborhood, in fact, cute?

I would appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 03:08 PM

10,820 posts, read 4,506,581 times
2 words: Amish Mafia

(kidding) its fine and it can be pricey now, but its very very quiet 'cept when the terrorists descend on the outlets and to torment the amish.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:41 PM

721 posts, read 597,690 times
That's a pleasant area, Grandview Heights. There are a lot of nice neighborhood niches in and around Lancaster. Also within a fairly small radius you can find urban, suburban and rural environments. It's a very fast moving and competitive market right now though. I think you need to be really clear on what you want and be ready to jump when you find it. If you're not sure you want to widen your options as far as Lancaster I wouldn't waste any effort looking at the market here. There's no luxury of time to deliberate over a property you're not sure you want.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the advice. I feel ready enough to jump on a house that is perfect--the market is also fast-moving in Chester County, so I'm used to that. But if that house I really liked had been a little bigger, I think I would have moved immediately. But I hear you. I kind of want to see how things are early next year and make the decision then. Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiscratch View Post
Thanks for the advice. I feel ready enough to jump on a house that is perfect--the market is also fast-moving in Chester County, so I'm used to that. But if that house I really liked had been a little bigger, I think I would have moved immediately. But I hear you. I kind of want to see how things are early next year and make the decision then. Thanks again!
We bought a house here last year and, you know, unless a person has ample funds there's always the trade-offs you make; location, features of the house or yard, updates, aesthetics, etc. It's always the same deal, it's just that here in Lancaster (and just about everywhere it seems!) the process of finding, deliberating, making an offer all goes SO FAST. Oy. Maybe I'm over-deliberative but it all moves much faster than my brain moves when considering something like buying a house. I found it all quite stressful, even though the house is great and has already appreciated significantly. Lancaster is also nice and I think a pleasant place for a retirement home while still being a very culturally lively small city. Some of the shabbier urban core neighborhoods are really up-and-coming in terms of improvements, new residents and so forth. The suburban neighborhoods (at least that I have seen) all seem to be really sweet. Some have that "new development" feel with lots of new construction. Some are older, less glossy, but feel settled with more variety in the homes, mature trees, and so forth. I prefer the latter as far as the suburban neighborhoods go but my husband and I felt like we wanted to be more city center for the walkabilty and street life so we moved into an transitional urban neighborhood because that's where we found a really good house in our price range. No regrets so far.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:29 AM

I hear you. I am indecisive and overthink things so I've had to make some adjustments during this process. At first the speed at which things moved freaked me out, but I've gotten used to it in making offers on two houses that were not accepted. I have a pretty good idea what I want and need and can pretty much go in to a house and know if I want to make an offer. And if I'm feeling rushed, I feel like that's a sign I don't really want the house. If I like it, I'm ready to move forward immediately. I kind of assume anything desirable has a deadline for making an offer so the decision comes pretty quickly. I feel like my main drawback is not knowing the area well, so thanks for the information! I suppose I should make a trip out there and just drive around a bit and get a feel for different neighborhoods.

Also, open houses are so not a thing anymore. I wish I could just drive around and look at a bunch of houses on a Sunday afternoon to get a feel for an area, but it doesn't seem to be happening, and not just in Lancaster. I guess most of the houses are snapped up so quickly they don't get a chance for one.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:45 AM

Re: open houses, yeah you're absolutely right. In fact we've gotten mailings from realtors looking for prospective sellers that explain in great detail why you don't need to be bothered with open houses any more, and are likely better off with not doing one.

I enjoy them too and did some open house visits when we first started investigating Lancaster. We weren't quite ready to make offers at that point but did meet our future real estate agent (nice guy!) at one. We looked at city homes and suburban homes really just to get a feel for the options. There was one open house we went to that just might have prompted us to make an immediate offer but it was sold just the night before the open house was scheduled, so basically you walked in the door and the agent told you it wasn't for sale anymore but feel free to look around if you want. LOL. That was early 2020 shortly before COVID changed everything, also the last open house we ever went to.

All the best with your search!

Old 11-17-2021, 07:03 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Re: open houses, yeah you're absolutely right. In fact we've gotten mailings from realtors looking for prospective sellers that explain in great detail why you don't need to be bothered with open houses any more, and are likely better off with not doing one.

I enjoy them too and did some open house visits when we first started investigating Lancaster. We weren't quite ready to make offers at that point but did meet our future real estate agent (nice guy!) at one. We looked at city homes and suburban homes really just to get a feel for the options. There was one open house we went to that just might have prompted us to make an immediate offer but it was sold just the night before the open house was scheduled, so basically you walked in the door and the agent told you it wasn't for sale anymore but feel free to look around if you want. LOL. That was early 2020 shortly before COVID changed everything, also the last open house we ever went to.

All the best with your search!
I kick myself for not purchasing a home in the Lancaster area right before Covid haha. We had just moved to the Lancaster area at that time and I had a house all lined up but we didn't buy it because my wife got spooked that a cemetery was a block away lol. The house if probably worth 30% more these days.

Jessie Mitchell already provided you with accurate info. The RE market in the Lancaster area is very competitive and fast moving, much like many parts of the country now.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:29 AM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
As others have stated the market is extremely competitive and often you will lose out to an all cash buyer. The homes that sit tend to have serious issues.

If you afford to wait then wait.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:55 PM

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm not desperate as I have a lease that runs through May 2022 (and my brother has one through June) that can be extended. I'm ready to buy and I'd like to get settled, but I'm prepared for it to take a while and I'm not jumping on houses with major issues. It's good to hear that if something comes up in Lancaster, it's a nice place to live and retire.

Interestingly, the houses I lost out on (both in Downingtown) were both buyers who were financing (you can tell because it is taking 45 days to settle--the cash buyers take a couple of weeks, if that) but they overpaid for the houses IMO, to the point that I would be worried they would not appraise for the sale price, and waived all inspections, and I'm not doing that.

Other homes I looked at, but ultimately decided to not make an offer on, definitely sold to cash buyers as they closed within a week to ten days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania