Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 07:27 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Edinboro-PA - the lake is nice, but for me that's the only reason to go there
McKean-don't bother
Finday Lake-NY (South of route) - I love Findley Lake. It's just a few minutes off the highway.
Bemus Point (north of route) - the bridge over Chautauqua Lake takes you directly over Bemus Point as well. I don't remember which restaurants are there now (any old timers remember the Surf Club? ), but it's a neat-looking lake town with some old hotels, restaurants, nice photo opportunities along the water.
Cuba - Cuba Cheese Shoppe

If you want to get off the freeway for a scenic drive without losing much time, exit I-86 at Bemus Point and drive east on NY 430 along the lake to Ellicott. From there you can take NY 60 to get back on I-86 east and continue on your merry way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 08:39 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Edinboro-PA - the lake is nice, but for me that's the only reason to go there
McKean-don't bother
Finday Lake-NY (South of route) - I love Findley Lake. It's just a few minutes off the highway.
Bemus Point (north of route) - the bridge over Chautauqua Lake takes you directly over Bemus Point as well. I don't remember which restaurants are there now (any old timers remember the Surf Club? ), but it's a neat-looking lake town with some old hotels, restaurants, nice photo opportunities along the water.
Cuba - Cuba Cheese Shoppe

If you want to get off the freeway for a scenic drive without losing much time, exit I-86 at Bemus Point and drive east on NY 430 along the lake to Ellicott. From there you can take NY 60 to get back on I-86 east and continue on your merry way.
Thanks! Note on the last tip.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:23 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I'd definitely just keep driving through Big Flats, Horseheads and Elmira Heights. And I definitely advise seeing the glass works in Corning.

I live about 25 miles or so from these places and, while going there to shop sometimes, I don't think there's anything a tourist would appreciate except in Corning. There's also what's called the Gaffer's District in Corning where the street is blocked off, pedestrians only. Lots of neat little shops, mostly antique but not sure if you want to spend that much time there.

Not sure about Port Crane. Had some friends who lived there and it nothing but a spot on the map. That was 20+ yrs ago so maybe things have changed.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,643,159 times
OP, did you end up doing the drive? How was the route?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania